08 GT500 w/ worn clutch -- not under warranty?

TERMINATED97

Established Member
this happened to my sisters bf's 07 gt500. it had right arond 9000 miles too. He had his lawyer call the ford dealership and they ended up fixing it for free.

TexasShelby

Established Member
I have a very early '07 and My local dealership did the same thing, saying it was 12,000 miles for the clutch, I had 13k and had been in at 11k and asked about it. They wanted to charge me 5 hours labor just to look at it, and I was standing there with THEIR TSB in my hand showing them that is what was wrong.

That is more than likely the TSB that we have all had a problem with. The second I called the dealership I purchased it from, they offered to pick it up on a trailer (115 miles away), then they did the TSB, it did not fix it at all, so they replaced the flywheel, entire clutch assy and complete new tranny, no charge, no questions asked.

It's not Ford, it's the crappy dealerships. Every car company has them.

You should call Ford Relations, my dealership called them for me as soon as I arrived and someone from Dallas flew out just to make sure everything was going as I wanted it too. I couldn't have been happier with the repair. And my car is performing as good as new.

No, I do not work for Ford, nor do I have any ties with anyone that works for Ford, but I did make two new friends. My Service MGR and the MASTER TECH that performed the work.

My suggestion to you is find a good dealship, go in, meet and talk to the Service MGR, get to know him and ask to meet the MASTER TECH that will work on your car. It goes a long way.

I have stated this time and time again, the Tech really went the extra mile to make sure the car was right before it left. And it was completely free. In fact the Ford Rep told them to throw in an oil change for my troubles. After it was all done and over, I had a new flywheel, clutch assy, tranny, two new headlight bezels and some repairs in the interior I didn't even know were wrong. And one MASTER TECH accidentally found 2 cases of beer in the back of his truck one afternoon, iced down. :)

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
is ford looking for a million dollar lawsuit? i went to pull out in traffic the other day... hit the gas and my car started to go, then my clutch started to slip and there i sat like a deer in the headlights!!! thank god the person coming was able to jump lanes or i would be DEAD!!!!

so i take it to greenway ford today. present them with the TSB which the whole world knows these issues... only to be called back saying that since i'm out of their "12000" mile warranty, they will not fix it. keeping in mind i'm at 13600 miles! i was told that since its not a recall and only a TSB that they don't have to fix it under warranty. even though the TSB is problems with the flywheel and its problems (which has drivetrain warranty of 50000)... those problems create additional clutch problems but those don't count!

so since its a little costly for ford to do a recall on a known and dangerous problem they have on their cars... i guess human life does have a price on it... and apparently my life isn't worth the cost of a clutch for ford to do a recall.

Imatk

Established Member
so since its a little costly for ford to do a recall on a known and dangerous problem they have on their cars... i guess human life does have a price on it... and apparently my life isn't worth the cost of a clutch for ford to do a recall.

I would say you are exactly right.

From what I understand the bean counters assess how much a particular recall would cost Ford (or GM, Dodge, etc.) and then they weigh that cost against how much it would cost them in lawsuits from the faulty part.

If the cost of the recall is GREATER than the lawsuits would be then a recall is NOT performed.

If the cost of the recall is LESS than the cost of those lawsuits then they do a recall.

Of course if the media gets involved then they will do a recall just to save face and have good PR.

Like say a woman is driving a Mustang and pulls out into traffic like you did... but there's an infant in the car seat next to her and the woman and the infant die from the accident due to the faulty clutch, AND the media does a story on it which gets picked up nationally etc. THEN they will do a recall IMMEDIATELY.

It's so unfortunate that something like that has to occur but... it is what it is I guess :(

4rdsvtdriver

Drive it like u stole it!
Established Member
The service manager at the dealership told me the same things as posted above about paying for the labor etc if they didn't find it to be anything other than "normal wear and tear" since I was over 17K miles. I just said f*%k it and bought a SPEC P-Trim and had them replace it and while they were at it. Throw in my 1 piece drive shaft. I didn't have time to waste w/ running around to different dealers as I live 60 miles from the most reputable one that would "possibly" repair it and after talking to them on the phone. They said "You're out of the 12K mile warranty for the clutch". So I decided to just have them fix it since it was already at the local Ford dealership. I would've waited but I hadn't been in boost for almost a month. It was slipping that bad. Couldn't get her over 2K rpm if I wanted to. Going up hills I was losing power etc. This being my daily driver I had no choice. To all that have decent dealerships and the time to run around to one that will fix it under the TSB. I say go for it! :rockon: I wasn't as lucky.

Rob

R1Lello

Established Member
The service manager at the dealership told me the same things as posted above about paying for the labor etc if they didn't find it to be anything other than "normal wear and tear" since I was over 17K miles. I just said f*%k it and bought a SPEC P-Trim and had them replace it and while they were at it. Throw in my 1 piece drive shaft. I didn't have time to waste w/ running around to different dealers as I live 60 miles from the most reputable one that would "possibly" repair it and after talking to them on the phone. They said "You're out of the 12K mile warranty for the clutch". So I decided to just have them fix it since it was already at the local Ford dealership. I would've waited but I hadn't been in boost for almost a month. It was slipping that bad. Couldn't get her over 2K rpm if I wanted to. Going up hills I was losing power etc. This being my daily driver I had no choice. To all that have decent dealerships and the time to run around to one that will fix it under the TSB. I say go for it! :rockon: I wasn't as lucky.

Rob

So, is it done?? how's the Ptrim.......I just got my ptrim Spec.......installing late this year or first thing in the spring. So far, my stocker shifts as it was when new.

4rdsvtdriver

Established Member
I picked it up Friday night from the dealership. I have a little over 300 break in miles and it's great! I'm getting used to the way it grabs so quickly. Pedal feel is way less than stock. I can actually leave it in gear at a light or stop sign now. When it grabs it's like someone pulling on the back of your hair really quick. It's fun to drive and I love it! :banana::rockon:

R1Lello

Established Member
I picked it up Friday night from the dealership. I have a little over 300 break in miles and it's great! I'm getting used to the way it grabs so quickly. Pedal feel is way less than stock. I can actually leave it in gear at a light or stop sign now. When it grabs it's like someone pulling on the back of your hair really quick. It's fun to drive and I love it! :banana::rockon:

Good to hear.........hopefully all the air bleed out and it works perfectly..........you won't hurt that bad boy.......holds 1395 lb ft of torque....:beer:

4rdsvtdriver

Established Member
She's running fine right now. All the air has bled out of the system I believe. Clutch pedal feels much better and not any slack in it. Just 200 more miles to go until break in and I'm trying to keep it stop and go in town like recommended.

Rob

Colleton

Established Member
Pedal feel is way less than stock. I can actually leave it in gear at a light or stop sign now.

haha, so it isn't just me. If I'm stopped at a light for longer that ~ 5 seconds I put it in neutral and let off the clutch. Otherwise I'm sitting there bracing my whole body to hold it down.

After 2K miles the clutch pedal isn't quite as stiff as it was at first (or maybe I'm just used to it now), but it's still way beyond any other car I've owned. Is there a practical reason for it being so stiff?

TexasShelby

Established Member
The exact same thing happened to me when I took my car in to my local dealership. They said it's got over 12k so we will need to bill you for 5 hours labor up front, I explained to them and showed them the TSB, they said it didn't apply to me. I laughed in that jerk off's face, jerked the keys out of the idiots hands and drove off.

I called the dealership I bought it from and told them what had happened, they immediately asked if they could dispatch a truck and trailer to pick the car up. I said no, I can drive the 115 miles, when I got there, they had a private secure bay in which to put the car, the Sr. Mstr Tech explained everything to me, then he handed me the keys to a new car to drive while mine was in the shop.
The TSB did not take in my case, I picked up the car two weeks later, I drove the car 4 blocks, turned around and took it back. The Sr. Mstr Tech ageed it wasn't right, he got the service mgr out there, they called a Ford Service Rep from Dallas, he immediately had a complete new tranny on a flat bed from Memphis. They replaced another new flywheel, complete clutch assembly and complete all new tranny. Plus while it was there locked up in the secure bay, the Mstr Tech went through the car and found my front headlight bezels were marred from the inside, so he ordered a new set ($215), fixed a couple things in the interior then when I picked it up, the Ford Rep told them to give me an oil change for my trouble, so they did. All in the bill came to over $11,000, they handed me my keys, shook my hand and told me to have a good trip home. It cost me nothing at all.

That's exactly how you keep a customer.

harmon rabb

Established Member
is ford looking for a million dollar lawsuit? i went to pull out in traffic the other day... hit the gas and my car started to go, then my clutch started to slip and there i sat like a deer in the headlights!!! thank god the person coming was able to jump lanes or i would be DEAD!!!!

so i take it to greenway ford today. present them with the TSB which the whole world knows these issues... only to be called back saying that since i'm out of their "12000" mile warranty, they will not fix it. keeping in mind i'm at 13600 miles! i was told that since its not a recall and only a TSB that they don't have to fix it under warranty. even though the TSB is problems with the flywheel and its problems (which has drivetrain warranty of 50000)... those problems create additional clutch problems but those don't count!

shit. i was going to head to greenway to see if i could get them to do the TSB on my car. scratch them off the list!

please post up if you find a central florida dealer who will fix this under warranty. i'd be very appreciative.

execapparel

I have by no means driven my 08 GT500 hard in its 9700 miles...but last week it started to fly out of gear in second with any acceleration or the blower kicking in...took it to Sheridan Ford in Wilington, DE today...they claim its a worn clutch, not covered by warranty, and then gave me the phone number to Ford Customer relations, which I called and which confirmed that the replacement of the clutch is "normal wear and tear" not covered under my warranty.

To fix it would be $2600...

Any suggestions on how to avoid this...a worn clutch at 10k miles...I had an '03 Cobra with 25k miles and never had a problem...
My clutch is at the shop now. 6500 miles. Telling me I don't know how to drive a manual trans. Maybe I don't. They want $3100 to fix this. Did you take to a dealer?? Did they replace with the same parts???

4rdsvtdriver

Established Member
I keep hearing there's a 12K mile window of warranty on the clutch. So I'd ask the dealer about that. Mine went out at 17K miles. I've never had an issue w/ any clutches on any of the vehicles I've driven that were manual transmission since 96. I've gone beyond 30K miles and clutch was fine. I had my new one installed at the dealership. After all was said and done it cost w/ the Spec P-Trim $2600 and now the TOB is chirping which I'm NOT happy about. I think it's going to be harder now to get things fixed w/ the economy the way it is. I wish you luck. Don't give up. Don't go down w/ out a fight.

execapparel

Any more suggestions???

My car is at the shop now for a new clutch. 6500 miles. They tell me I don't know how to drive it properly. Maybe I don't. (this is my third Mustang) They want $3100 to repair it. Should I request that different parts be installed???

4rdsvtdriver

Established Member
If you plan on going w/ some heavy mods. I say f$%k it. The stock clutch is going to cost you $1K anyway, a P-Trim cost me $300 more from Lethal Performance. Add in the TOB etc all in all cost me $2600. I'd shop around w/ the price on getting it replaced. That seems about $500 too much w/ all parts etc.

mark73

well the clutch is a wear item but if you drive it like you say then i am not sure:shrug:

not to insult you but are you sure you are not riding it or somehow causing excessive wear? on a related note, the shop that does my work has a gt500 with i believe less than 3k miles on it and is now in for a 3rd clutch. i just can not see how this happens other than user error, the conversation came up because of my car build date and the power i am making while still not having any slipping or other issues:shrug:

i am sure someone will have something technical to add.

i have had my Shelby for two years from new have only done 800 miles and now need a clutch,it has never been driven hard as we are still breaking it in and it is not covered by warrenty is there a recall coming,i should add at 350 miles we had to have the supercharger replaced do i have a 70,000 dollar lemon or is this normal for the car::mj::mj:

barstoolman

Established Member
As I've said many times on many different threads, its all about the dealer and service department you are doing business with. I have had 3 different replacement clutch/flywheel kits installed under the TSB.....the first at 2,500 miles under the original TSB (synchros replaced at that times as well), the second at about 17,500 miles under TSB revision #2 and just recently, at about 27,000 miles under the current revision to the TSB. The current TSB installs the 2010/2011 clutch kit and the car finally rides like I always imagined.

My dealer and service department have never given me a problem when it came to this issue because they know these parts are destined to fail. Ford only denies a claim to a dealer when the dealer is "wishy-washy" about the customer and their complaint. If you are dealing with a reputable dealer and one that wants your business in the future, they will write up your complaint, check it out and if it falls under the parameters of the failures cited in the TSB, they will fix it......period.!!!!!!!!

The Mickey Mouse dealers and service departments out there don't deserve your business for the way you have been treated. Let them and Ford know that you will not be buying from them or any other Ford dealer until this is resolved.

shelby_1

2008 GT500 clutch problems

the 2010 stuff does fit and work properly , we installed one
in an 07 this last weekend

JEFF

I had my clutch replaced at 6,000 miles under warranty with the 2008 TSB recommendations. Now after 26,000 miles the dealer says the clutch is worn (it slips when accelerating hard in 2nd through 6th gear).

The dealer says he will replace it with the same clutch and flywheel for $3,100.

There has to be a better alternative than spending $3,000 ona clutch every 20,000 miles. Are the 2010's clutches much better.

Thanks
John

Users who are viewing this thread