08 GT500 w/ worn clutch -- not under warranty?

chuckstang

Established Member
Well, I have heard that it can just break randomly.

Mine thankfully started showing signs very slowly.

I say find a place that will do it, Teamshelby lists many of the good dealers for doing this TSB. I hear it is imperative to find a quality place that has done it before.
The nice thing is that it seems like each part of the country has a good shop.

I have not got mine back yet but I'm confident Tasca mod shop will do me right

chuckstang

Established Member
nah, clutch chatter is normal

But then again, when I get my car back and don't have any chatter, well then I guess its not normal, so I will let you know.

But the main things to worry about is being locked into or out of gears, grinding going into gears, car creeping forward or lurching forward when the clutch is all the way in while the tranny is in gear (that indicates clutch drag which I had)

07vert

Established Member
nah, clutch chatter is normal

But then again, when I get my car back and don't have any chatter, well then I guess its not normal, so I will let you know.

But the main things to worry about is being locked into or out of gears, grinding going into gears, car creeping forward or lurching forward when the clutch is all the way in while the tranny is in gear (that indicates clutch drag which I had)

oh okay cool, i can hear the clutch/flywheel a LITTLE bit at idle but i dont have the car creeping foward or any grinding into gears. how many miles are on yours? i got the car used with 20k yesterday so i figured if it was going to happen it would have in the first 20k miles...he may have had the tsb done even? but i dont know...car fax doesnt say anything about it

Imatk

Established Member
I say find a place that will do it, Teamshelby lists many of the good dealers for doing this TSB. I hear it is imperative to find a quality place that has done it before.
The nice thing is that it seems like each part of the country has a good shop.

I would LOVE to find somewhere in Houston that could do it but it seems that for such a large city there are no dealers who are either willing or up to the task.

barstoolman

Established Member
Awesome!!! Careful pushing that clutch in for the first time post tsb repair... You can almost shove it through the floor...LOL. It is awesome now and no more left leg power lifting needed

So, where your synchros replaced or not????? Just look on your service order......it will show the work done. if it wasn't done, I'm wondering what the tech or service advisor told you as to why they did not replace the gears. Warped flywheel, clutch drag almost assuredly means some damaged synchros.

chuckstang

Established Member
So, where your synchros replaced or not????? Just look on your service order......it will show the work done. if it wasn't done, I'm wondering what the tech or service advisor told you as to why they did not replace the gears. Warped flywheel, clutch drag almost assuredly means some damaged synchros.

I dont have my car back yet

But they said they had to replace syncros

:beer:

cheftjpeck

Established Member
HUH?? I assume you are talking to chuckstang??:??:

cheftjpeck

Established Member
My car is slowly getting there.

Waiting on the freaking clutch, just the clutch, apparently Ford couldnt get it to them quickly enoungh. I am unsure what is going on at Ford but they found one at another dealer but will not get it till Monday :(

Tech said they found pieces of metal in my tranny so it was a good thing I brought it in!

I sorta feel like that would be normal though for a new car?

New syncros, input shaft, flywheel and eventually the dam clutch will be in the car :pepper:

Do you need to break the new parts in?
yeah,,,thats why I did not let them take my car until all parts arrived. I told them to call me when all came in.. Mine was Clutch came in first but they had to wait on the rest of the parts..took about 1 week and a half for all of my parts to get in,...then it took about 2.5 - 3 days to complete the repairs...

chuckstang

Established Member
Well, I dont know if they are telling the truth but supposedly they did have all the parts there when I left it off but the clutch was defective and would not bolt in. (very unsure what the hell could cause that and what they are referrig to)
But now I am just waiting for them to get a new clutch. I guess Ford could not get them one quickly, which I don't understand why!

Could be there is something else holding them up and they just don't want to admit it, who knows.

I am ticked that I don't have my car cause I make payments on it and its no good just sitting at there dealership when I could have had it enjoying it, like the 2 car shows I have missed that I love. Not to mention Mustang Week which I was planning on attending

barstoolman

Established Member
I dont have my car back yet

But they said they had to replace syncros

:beer:

That's good news. :banana:

The replacement gears might be holding up your repairs. When Ford released the TSB for clutch drag and later advised replacing the synchos as well, the synchros would filter through the system very slowly.........they were always short on 5th and 2nd gear.

4rdsvtdriver

Drive it like u stole it!
Established Member
That's good news. :banana:

The replacement gears might be holding up your repairs. When Ford released the TSB for clutch drag and later advised replacing the synchos as well, the synchros would filter through the system very slowly.........they were always short on 5th and 2nd gear.

I've already got the clutch issues at 17K miles and now I'm starting to get notchiness into 2nd and 5th. The dealerships in my area said if it turns out that it is warranty items. They'll fix it but they told me the clutch would be out of my pocket. :cuss: I'll be taking my car in Sunday night and dropping it off. They'll have it for the week. At this point I don't care about the clutch not being covered since I already bought a SPEC P-Trim. I just want the labor covered and I'll be happy.

FiaCobra

Established Member
To all you people getting the "run around"......find another dealer !!

I had complete failure (car would not go into ANY gear) Stopped into my dealer with the TSB in hand, spoke with the Service Manager, and decided to order the parts. It took a month for all the parts to come in (It was winter time, I didn't care) The dealership sent a flatbed to my house to get my car. They brought it to the shop and had the tranny out later that day. I get a phone call the following day saying they do not have the proper tool to pull off 5th gear. They had to order the tool. A few days go by and I speak with the manager again. Turns out the tool will not come in for at least a few weeks so they by-pass that problem by ordering a whole new transmission. New transmission comes in 2-3 days and the TSB is completed. They flatbed the car back to my house because the roads were wet from snow (Tech never test-drove it...just shifted it while on the lift)
Was told if there were ANY problems to bring it back when the weather was better.

The only cost I had to incur was paying a "core charge" to keep my original numbers matching transmission (at my request). So, now I have a 2008 with a "successful" TSB completed with a new transmission, and my original transmission in a crate under the bench in my garage.

You have to find a better dealership. Go there with legitimate symptoms and bring a copy of the TSB with you. Make sure they have all the tools to do the TSB. I happened to luck out by them NOT having one tool.

Last edited:

4rdsvtdriver

Drive it like u stole it!
Established Member
Unfortunately for me. This is my daily driver. I don't have the time to run around the state of Washington to try and get them to take care of this. I've talked to several dealerships all w/ the same result. I have to take it in and have them drop the tranny, inspect it, check the clutch etc. The one I know that may do it w/ out any cost to me is 60+ miles away. Once I take the car in. I have nothing to drive. I can't afford a rental while it's in the shop. So I will be spending the week or however long it takes them to complete the work going from work to home and that's it. I feel it's b.s. that Ford would do this w/ a car of this caliber and then not warranty it w/ out question once the part(s) fail. I've read the TSB and it sounds ridiculous. I'm almost to the point of trading this in on something else that I'm so disgusted w/ the run around I'm getting from all the dealerships. Hopefully they'll just repair everything under "warranty" and there will be no cost out of pocket for me other than the clutch. That's all I'm asking at this point. Good luck to the rest of you that have the time to run around to other dealers. I just can't do it as I live pretty far from every dealer out here.

barstoolman

Established Member
Unfortunately for me. This is my daily driver. I don't have the time to run around the state of Washington to try and get them to take care of this. I've talked to several dealerships all w/ the same result. I have to take it in and have them drop the tranny, inspect it, check the clutch etc. The one I know that may do it w/ out any cost to me is 60+ miles away. Once I take the car in. I have nothing to drive. I can't afford a rental while it's in the shop. So I will be spending the week or however long it takes them to complete the work going from work to home and that's it. I feel it's b.s. that Ford would do this w/ a car of this caliber and then not warranty it w/ out question once the part(s) fail. I've read the TSB and it sounds ridiculous. I'm almost to the point of trading this in on something else that I'm so disgusted w/ the run around I'm getting from all the dealerships. Hopefully they'll just repair everything under "warranty" and there will be no cost out of pocket for me other than the clutch. That's all I'm asking at this point. Good luck to the rest of you that have the time to run around to other dealers. I just can't do it as I live pretty far from every dealer out here.

There should be no cost to you period!!!!!!!! You car is displaying all the symptoms described in the TSB........what else do they want????? There are plenty of "Lemon Law" lawyers who would love to get their hands on your type of situation..........a factory TSB in hand, a car having all the symptoms described in the TSB and the factory and dealership unwilling to take care of the problem. Sounds like a buyback to me

10SterlingGrey

Call Titus-Will Ford in Tacoma WA 253-475-4151 they will take care of it. No
Questions asked.

cheftjpeck

Established Member
I hear your pain....but telling you they have to fix it...it is a TSB...everything you described is the symptoms of this problem....mine is my Daily driver as well...thats why you tell the dealer he HAS to give you a loaner car....any decent dealer will...mine did no questions asked....Good Luck!!!

Users who are viewing this thread