09+ Hemi 1500 Rams

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
I know this is a ford forum, but it is pretty diverse. Looking at picking up a certified pre owned 09 hemi ram quad cab. Seems I can get a good amount of truck for my money in the ram. comparable f150s are out of my price range and I have zero interest in GM or Toyota. I am aware of the ring/pinion recall.

Im upgrading from a 00 suburban with 128k miles on it. General thoughts?

Badass_Forever

Established Member
Great trucks, my dad has one with MDS. it gets around 25+ mpg. Tows better then my F250 V10 could ever dream.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
to be specific I will commute to work 30 miles per day 4 days a week through all seasons. I will use it for the usual HD/Lowes lumber and project runs, mulch/gravel runs, etc. Basic truck use, no heavy towing.

We will be shopping for a travel trailer at some point though,

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
My buddy has 12 hemi. Its strong for what it is. Looks good to. I like the fact they already have tips done and all

Equalbracket

Established Member
to be specific I will commute to work 30 miles per day 4 days a week through all seasons. I will use it for the usual HD/Lowes lumber and project runs, mulch/gravel runs, etc. Basic truck use, no heavy towing.

We will be shopping for a travel trailer at some point though,

I avged 15 mpg @ and thats alot of highway @ 70/75, some city etc, but I never granny it anyway, I would never pull a camper with it, and a ecoboost f-150 is even worse then my ram pulling a 28ft camper

edit. Haven't had any problems at all on a 11 ram 1500, not a hitch nothing at all, its been great to own, and I had the dodge dealership throw in oil changes for life. Wish i had gotten the option with the bigger back seat tho, its cramped, i have the quad cab i guess.

Last edited:

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
love my hemi so far. I came from a 6.0 4 speed auto 08 silverado with 3.73s to my crew cab hemi 2013 with the 8 speed transmission and 3.21 rear gear. it would monkey stomp my old truck, tows much better and I'm seeing 19 mpg vs the 6.0s 14s on a good day.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
I have an 04 4.7 w/250k on it other than 2 water pumps it's been a good truck.
Single cab short bed I get around 18 highway.
Not a hemi but it's been reliable

wht93gted

Established Member
I know you said 09+ but my 06 Hemi w/MDS has been a great truck (knock on wood).

I commute 70 miles round trip a day, 3.73 gears. I lost about 2mpg with the Cooper Zeon LTZ tires vs. the stockers. But the traction in both rain and snow is worth it.
https://www.fuelly.com/driver/wht93gt/ram-1500

I just crossed 154k miles, and not a single issue aside from the water pump. I only noticed it leaking a little during an oil change, so I replaced it this past February. It was a super simple job too.

My dad's 02 Sierra needed a new transmission around 150k, a fuel pump around 170k, new coil packs around 100k, and it was a dog compared to my truck.

This fall when the new light-duty diesel hits showrooms, I'll probably be trading my truck in for one of those.

AAG

Established Member
What is your price range? New trucks overall have huge incentives/rebates at the moment.

hoamskilet

Established Member
What are you basing this off of? My hemi jeep grand cherokee has 100k trouble free miles, while my dads 03 silverado 5.3 is falling apart piece by piece.

I'm guessing the answer to your question would be "nothing". I've got an 07 hemi that runs as good as the day it left the lot with nothing more than regular maintenance

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
The engine will be a downgrade over the GM 4.8/5.3/6.0 as far as reliability.

I would agree only if you are talking about the 2010-2013 trucks.

love my hemi so far. I came from a 6.0 4 speed auto 08 silverado with 3.73s to my crew cab hemi 2013 with the 8 speed transmission and 3.21 rear gear. it would monkey stomp my old truck, tows much better and I'm seeing 19 mpg vs the 6.0s 14s on a good day.

You cannot compare an 08 to a new truck. Of course the new Dodge is going to be better than an 08. It is like comparing a S197 to a Termi.

What are you basing this off of? My hemi jeep grand cherokee has 100k trouble free miles, while my dads 03 silverado 5.3 is falling apart piece by piece.

So does GM

I know you said 09+ but my 06 Hemi w/MDS has been a great truck (knock on wood).

I commute 70 miles round trip a day, 3.73 gears. I lost about 2mpg with the Cooper Zeon LTZ tires vs. the stockers. But the traction in both rain and snow is worth it.
https://www.fuelly.com/driver/wht93gt/ram-1500

See above. You cannot compare anew truck to an old truck. if you want to compare then find someone who owns a new GM, Ford and Dodge and drive each one.

I just crossed 154k miles, and not a single issue aside from the water pump. I only noticed it leaking a little during an oil change, so I replaced it this past February. It was a super simple job too.

My dad's 02 Sierra needed a new transmission around 150k, a fuel pump around 170k, new coil packs around 100k, and it was a dog compared to my truck.

This fall when the new light-duty diesel hits showrooms, I'll probably be trading my truck in for one of those.

What year is your truck?

OP, I would encourage you to drive a Ford, GM and Dodge before making your decision. The Dodge looks good and has the availability of the 8 speed transmission but when towing it will not get as good of mileage when comparing to the GM 5.3 or 6.0L trucks. Also, if you decide to shop around and are concerned about mileage stay away from the Ecoboost. This is especially true when towing.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
I would agree only if you are talking about the 2010-2013 trucks.

You cannot compare an 08 to a new truck. Of course the new Dodge is going to be better than an 08. It is like comparing a S197 to a Termi.

So does GM

What year is your truck?

OP, I would encourage you to drive a Ford, GM and Dodge before making your decision. The Dodge looks good and has the availability of the 8 speed transmission but when towing it will not get as good of mileage when comparing to the GM 5.3 or 6.0L trucks. Also, if you decide to shop around and are concerned about mileage stay away from the Ecoboost. This is especially true when towing.

homie, he asked about the engine in newer (as in to current) hemi engines. I've also driven older (2010 hemi) and it was a bit faster with the older transmission it had than my 08 silverado....considering the displacement disparity and the fact that it had a steeper gear ratio, the motor is obviously up to snuff.

oh, and my 08 was intake, exhaust, cam, tune.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I wouldn't mind having a reg cab Ram with the Hemi, they are going for 19,995 here. Tempting!

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
I wouldn't own one. My gf has a 2012 4 door with the hemi and it gets 18mpg interstate and 15.1-15.3 town. 22,000 miles and already going to te shop for the valves this week

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
homie, he asked about the engine in newer (as in to current) hemi engines. I've also driven older (2010 hemi) and it was a bit faster with the older transmission it had than my 08 silverado....considering the displacement disparity and the fact that it had a steeper gear ratio, the motor is obviously up to snuff.

oh, and my 08 was intake, exhaust, cam, tune.

Exactly my point. What the hell does a new Dodge Ram's engine have anything to do with your intake, exhaust and tune Silverado? Nothing. You cannot compare a 2008, 4 speed, 6.0 truck against a new truck. If you want to compare apples-to-apples then look at the new generation 6.2L GM against the Dodge Hemi and the Hemi will get DRUG.

You providing information on a 6 year old truck does nothing for him.

Users who are viewing this thread