09+ Hemi 1500 Rams

JW03

Established Member
I have a 2012 ram with the hemi and I love it. only at 10k miles now, so I cant comment on reliability. plenty of power though, fuel economy is about 18-19 interstate

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
guys im buying used. my budget is sub $20k.

I have one im interested in. Clean carfax and autocheck, clean body, 69k miles, 3yr 36k chrysler powertrain warranty from the time i purchase. 2009 Sport 4x4 quad cab with remote start. I can write them a check for $19k and leave with it. Cant get them to budge another dime.

thoughts?

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
Curveball incoming, what about a high milage 160k 04 f150 with the 5.4

I'm looking to get rid of the burb due to rust. The f150 is clean and cheap, just high milage. I don't know much about fords.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member

I'm looking to get rid of the burb due to rust. The f150 is clean and cheap, just high milage. I don't know much about fords.

The plugs will snap off on 3v, you need a tool to remove them. That's it. The design of the plug allows carbon from combustion get in the threads.

+1 on hemi engine running just fine. Annoying piston noise though. The only issues I have seen with higher mileage is pvc valve and egr valve. Both are easy jobs.

Edit- i would be most concerned about transmission fluids on high mile and axle. Common folk never change these. Make sure transmission shifts well and check fluid. I would change all fluids and filters after purchase.

Last edited:

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member

I just got a 2006 f150 super crew fx4 fully loaded with black heated leather seats for $17,100 out the door. 98k miles on it. Something to look in to. I love it so far, absolutely love it, best truck I've owned yet by far.

To whom was asking me about the valve situation, you can hear them tapping very badly, even my gf who isn't car savvy by any means even says its getting worse lately and describes it the same as someone would as valves.

bluestang41505

Established Member

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member

Not a fan of that motor at all.

I have an 06 Ram, 100k miles on it. I did a water pump and a rear pinion seal. Truck definitely as enough power(although less than the next gen Rams).

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
What are you basing this off of? My hemi jeep grand cherokee has 100k trouble free miles, while my dads 03 silverado 5.3 is falling apart piece by piece.

A buddy of mine has been through 2 6.0 engines because they can never produce enough oil pressure and they grenade themselves. I work at a chrysler dealership and have not ONCE heard of the Hemi engines being unreliable.

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
guys im buying used. my budget is sub $20k.

I have one im interested in. Clean carfax and autocheck, clean body, 69k miles, 3yr 36k chrysler powertrain warranty from the time i purchase. 2009 Sport 4x4 quad cab with remote start. I can write them a check for $19k and leave with it. Cant get them to budge another dime.

thoughts?

How much are they wanting to give you for your trade?

Last edited:

wht93gted

Established Member
Not a fan of that motor at all.

I have an 06 Ram, 100k miles on it. I did a water pump and a rear pinion seal. Truck definitely as enough power(although less than the next gen Rams).

weird...thats the same things I had to do on my 06, water pump and pinion seal (153k now).

Anyway, OP, I think you see many satisfied Ram owners overall, and the Hemi throughout the years has been a consistently reliable engine. I don't think you'll go wrong. For DD, I personally wouldn't buy something already at 160k, but thats just me.

awful knawful

Established Member
First off I have never been a Dodge fan. Saying that I own a 09 Crew Cab SLT 4x4 Hemi. The price was right at the time and I needed an upgrade from my 22 year old Toyota. I like this truck alot. Quiet, smooth, POWER, tons of interior room, nice interior and good mileage 19-20 mpg US on the highway. Buy the Dodge, you will like it!

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
A buddy of mine has been through 2 6.0 engines because they can never produce enough oil pressure and they grenade themselves. I work at a chrysler dealership and have not ONCE heard of the Hemi engines being unreliable.

Thats a pretty broad statement my friend. My dad had an 08 hemi that destroyed itself from loss of oil pressure. Dealer replaced it under warranty. Now you have heard of a Hemi engine being unreliable.

cbr repsol

Established Member
I think the ram is a pretty nice truck overall. Like any car there a known things that may go out quick like 03 cobra alternators.lol my sister has a 04 ram 1500 with the 4.7 v8 . She loves the truck and dd it for work. That engine from what ive seen the water pumps go bad around 70 to 90 k miles. She hit 90k and it was overheating. Her being a girl figured it would be ok and kept driving on it for a while. She blew the head gaskets like no other. I did the complete overhaul,new head bolts ,resurfaced heads ,water pump,thermostat, hoses and also rebuilt the heads. It was about 30 hours of labor to complete everything. her truck now prob runs better than it ever has. I know everything about that engine I would own one of those trucks. The only thing difficult to set up was the cam timing since its a ohc engine. Took me about a couple of hours to do that. They sell a special tool to hold the chains but you cant buy it anywhere ive looked so I had to zip tie the chains in place, then all was good. If only she had pulled over ,that would of saved me a lot of labor.

Good luck with you purchase ,i think youll be happy with a ram.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
Without reading any of the comments, I just bought a brand new 2013 Ram about a month and a half ago with the hemi. I love it. The price is what sold me too. Got tips out of the back and all. Drove it to Florida 2 weeks after I got it and it was great and got 20mpg on the road.

Last edited:

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal.

I think it seems fair. sale price is around 17500 with my $4k towards it. tax brings it to $19k out the door.

If the burb wasnt rusty, id probably get 5500-6000 out of it. not the case unfortunately. They told me straight up they will auction it about 60 miles away and lose a few hundred on it. Obviously they are making money on the ram so no big deal.

here is my daughter with the truck. still havent made up my mind on it.

TzGaP1z.png

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
I think it seems fair. sale price is around 17500 with my $4k towards it. tax brings it to $19k out the door.

If the burb wasnt rusty, id probably get 5500-6000 out of it. not the case unfortunately. They told me straight up they will auction it about 60 miles away and lose a few hundred on it. Obviously they are making money on the ram so no big deal.

TzGaP1z.png

Looks great!! Sounds like a fair deal to me. I'm a huge fan of the 09+ RAMs.

cbr repsol

Established Member

TzGaP1z.png
That's a nice truck.

Users who are viewing this thread