1,000 rwhp

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
multiple shops in houston/dallas/OKC that are both within 3-4 hours of you that could do the heavy stuff, should you choose to go that route.

like many others have said....when you get into 4 digit power, you eat parts up if things aren't set up right.

i ate up a t56 magnum before i sold it for the built 6R.

Bad Company

Established Member
So at 17psi on 93 what power am I looking at to the wheels?
My engine built 1002 Hp on a Dynojet chassis dyno that is a little generous in its Hp output readings. Jon Lund uses this dyno regularly for his tuning. Lund tuned the car for E85 with a max boost of 16.6 psi at 6400 RPM with the 1002 RWHP result. The average boost across the complete RPM range of the dyno pull was 15.4 psi. The injectors were at a duty cycle of 90% at this RPM on E85. Evolution told me the rev limiter was set at 7000 RPM, but after looking at Injector Dynamics fuel flow calculator I realized why Jon stopped tuning the car at 6400 RPM. I'm also going to assume that since Evolution told me rev limit was set at 7000 RPM, yet Jon only dynoed it to 6400 RPM that Jon set the rev limiter at 6400 RPM due to the high duty cycle of the injector. According to ID fuel calculator the injectors would have been at 98% duty cycle to turn 7000 RPM. Again this is all on E85. I don't think Jon Lund would have allowed the car out of the shop with the duty cycle at 98% and 7000 RPM, since I never took the engine to this high of an RPM, I never knew if Evolution lied to me about where the rev limiter was set on this engine before it expired

Jon had Evolution drain the E85 and fill the tank with 93 octane pump gas. Since the boost was low for the power being produced no other changes were made to the engine. Jon dynoed and street drove the car from what I was told by Evolution. Jon sent me an email stating that he removed timing for the 93 octane pump tune and the car ran fine. Nobody could tell me how much power it built on the 93 octane tune. I wouldn't be surprised if it was still in the 900+ RWHP range.

Building this much power with low boost to utilize the ability to use 93 octane fuel requires a ton of modifications to remove all restrictions in the cylinder heads, intake manifold, intercooler, and the complete exhaust system. Never look at boost psi as a power adder, always look at it as a flow restriction to the amount of air by volume that you're trying to get into the engine to support the combustion of the fuel you're injecting. If you can get 2000CFM of air into the engine with 10 psi of boost versus moving the same 2000CFM of air at 20 psi of boost, the engine with the 10 psi of boost is much more efficient and will build more Hp for the same amount of fuel and air introduced into the cylinders.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I just wish it was as available as 93

93 bad, E85 good, here's why. Soot is NOT your friend at high HP.

Picture2_zps83b90ea8.png

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
if you're wanting to make 1000 on pump, build a viper or something with more cubes.

four digit power shouldn't be made with pump gas. needs e85/98, C85, c16, etc.

too many factors in bad gas that could cause catastrophic failure and detonation.

kghills

Established Member
I have been following this thread as I am sort of also wondering about the possibility of 1000rwhp on 93 pump with the 5.8 in my Shelby. I run a MMR sleeved block, 4.0 Whipple, ID1000 injectors, 2200 monoblade, 123mm CAI, JMS booster, SW 1 7/8 long tubes into a 3" X pipe system, Shelby dual fan heat exchanger. Kind of all the standard type mods I guess but no cams or head work. No one brings up Methanol/water injection. Does anyone have experience with optimizing power for 93 pump using methanol injection on a modded 5.8? I 'm in the process of installing mine now and can't imagine I am the only one. I'm at 835rwhp now on 93, will adding meth/h2o get me close to 1000? Ignore the NOS for now.
IMG_20160210_181354804_zps8qf3ow2v.jpg
IMG_20160120_152030084_zpsrp1b0gd5.jpg
IMG_20160211_101403952_zpscuzr4xj1.jpg

Keith.

Last edited:

HighTorque

Established Member
My engine built 1002 Hp on a Dynojet chassis dyno that is a little generous in its Hp output readings. Jon Lund uses this dyno regularly for his tuning. Lund tuned the car for E85 with a max boost of 16.6 psi at 6400 RPM with the 1002 RWHP result. The average boost across the complete RPM range of the dyno pull was 15.4 psi. The injectors were at a duty cycle of 90% at this RPM on E85. Evolution told me the rev limiter was set at 7000 RPM, but after looking at Injector Dynamics fuel flow calculator I realized why Jon stopped tuning the car at 6400 RPM. I'm also going to assume that since Evolution told me rev limit was set at 7000 RPM, yet Jon only dynoed it to 6400 RPM that Jon set the rev limiter at 6400 RPM due to the high duty cycle of the injector. According to ID fuel calculator the injectors would have been at 98% duty cycle to turn 7000 RPM. Again this is all on E85. I don't think Jon Lund would have allowed the car out of the shop with the duty cycle at 98% and 7000 RPM, since I never took the engine to this high of an RPM, I never knew if Evolution lied to me about where the rev limiter was set on this engine before it expired

Jon had Evolution drain the E85 and fill the tank with 93 octane pump gas. Since the boost was low for the power being produced no other changes were made to the engine. Jon dynoed and street drove the car from what I was told by Evolution. Jon sent me an email stating that he removed timing for the 93 octane pump tune and the car ran fine. Nobody could tell me how much power it built on the 93 octane tune. I wouldn't be surprised if it was still in the 900+ RWHP range.

Building this much power with low boost to utilize the ability to use 93 octane fuel requires a ton of modifications to remove all restrictions in the cylinder heads, intake manifold, intercooler, and the complete exhaust system. Never look at boost psi as a power adder, always look at it as a flow restriction to the amount of air by volume that you're trying to get into the engine to support the combustion of the fuel you're injecting. If you can get 2000CFM of air into the engine with 10 psi of boost versus moving the same 2000CFM of air at 20 psi of boost, the engine with the 10 psi of boost is much more efficient and will build more Hp for the same amount of fuel and air introduced into the cylinders.

Great info and Lund is definitely on the top of my list for tuning duty.

93 bad, E85 good, here's why. Soot is NOT your friend at high HP.

Picture2_zps83b90ea8.png

That pic really puts into perspective how much benefit there is to running E85! My next question would be how can I extend the range of my car with E85? Bigger fuel tank? Additional Tank? Without having to lug around 5 Gallon buckets LOL

if you're wanting to make 1000 on pump, build a viper or something with more cubes.

four digit power shouldn't be made with pump gas. needs e85/98, C85, c16, etc.

too many factors in bad gas that could cause catastrophic failure and detonation.

I really like the look of the Viper but im a mustang/Shelby guy through and through. Im glad I asked for everyones input because I was at 0% of running E85 now im more 50/50 deciding.

Beercules

Established Member
I have been following this thread as I am sort of also wondering about the possibility of 1000rwhp on 93 pump with the 5.8 in my Shelby. I run a MMR sleeved block, 4.0 Whipple, ID1000 injectors, 2200 monoblade, 123mm CAI, JMS booster, SW 1 7/8 long tubes into a 3" X pipe system, Shelby dual fan heat exchanger. Kind of all the standard type mods I guess but no cams or head work. No one brings up Methanol/water injection. Does anyone have experience with optimizing power for 93 pump using methanol injection on a modded 5.8? I 'm in the process of installing mine now and can't imagine I am the only one. I'm at 835rwhp now on 93, will adding meth/h2o get me close to 1000? Ignore the NOS for now.

Keith.

Talk to snow at snow performance If you want to go the meth route. I've seen his 13 gt500 at the strip, uses meth\50 shot.

Though I've also heard horror stories about blowing the injector nozzle tip off at full throttle and hydrolocking the engine. If there was a fool proof way to prevent that, I'd look closer.

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
wait a sec....

you have a built shelby....sleeved motor...etc....

and you're using a voltage booster instead of a true full return fuel system?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member

Keith.

All those mods but you're only feeding that 4.0 blower w/ a JLT 123?

my13Elenor

Established Member
Talk to snow at snow performance If you want to go the meth route. I've seen his 13 gt500 at the strip, uses meth\50 shot.

Though I've also heard horror stories about blowing the injector nozzle tip off at full throttle and hydrolocking the engine. If there was a fool proof way to prevent that, I'd look closer.
Alky Control makes a nice meth system as well

kghills

Established Member
wait a sec....

you have a built shelby....sleeved motor...etc....

and you're using a voltage booster instead of a true full return fuel system?

All those mods but you're only feeding that 4.0 blower w/ a JLT 123?

And stock fuel rails. I recently purchased the car and am trying to sort through the hardware and it's installation. The Meth injection and NOS need a couple things to be operational.

1452371267036-439345582_zpslxr0o4j2.jpg

Seems to work with no return.

Here is a video of the car on the dyno before I purchased it.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/NationalSpeed/videos/738235936264144/[/video]

Keith.

Last edited:

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
And stock fuel rails. I recently purchased the car and am trying to sort through the hardware and it's installation. The Meth injection and NOS need a couple things to be operational.

1452371267036-439345582_zpslxr0o4j2.jpg

Seems to work with no return.

Here is a video of the car on the dyno before I purchased it.

Keith.

"seems to work with no return" - exactly what i'd want to be saying wtih my $70K+ toy.

kghills

Established Member
"seems to work with no return" - exactly what i'd want to be saying wtih my $70K+ toy.

Seems to make 835 at the rear wheels for over 9,000 miles now with no return and no problems. The video I linked of the car on the dyno at National Speed was a couple years ago when the car had a couple thousand miles on it. It now has over 12,000 miles with no problems. For me that means it seems to work with no return. Likewise, the Snow Performance methanol/water injection system seems like it should raise the effective octane rating of the fuel while cooling the intake charge and supplying a little methanol to be used as additional fuel, seems like it should allow for a more aggressive tune and/or more boost irregardless of whether the fuel system has a return or not. Given the topic of the thread I was wondering about others experience and or the viability of running 93 fuel with the Methanol/water injection system in an effort to achieve the 1000HP goal as an option. Hope that helps.

Keith.

HighTorque

Established Member
Seems to make 835 at the rear wheels for over 9,000 miles now with no return and no problems. The video I linked of the car on the dyno at National Speed was a couple years ago when the car had a couple thousand miles on it. It now has over 12,000 miles with no problems. For me that means it seems to work with no return. Likewise, the Snow Performance methanol/water injection system seems like it should raise the effective octane rating of the fuel while cooling the intake charge and supplying a little methanol to be used as additional fuel, seems like it should allow for a more aggressive tune and/or more boost irregardless of whether the fuel system has a return or not. Given the topic of the thread I was wondering about others experience and or the viability of running 93 fuel with the Methanol/water injection system in an effort to achieve the 1000HP goal as an option. Hope that helps.

Keith.

Nice car and you are really close to that 1k mark. I think the return fuel system can only help the situation but it seems like your setup is working.

Users who are viewing this thread