1,000 rwhp

HighTorque

Established Member
Ok guys I am at a crossroads and need some advice...

I forever and always wanted a Shelby and was lucky enough to get one off the showroom floor Feb. 2014. I have had my car 2 years now and am ready to get my next goal of 1K rwhp. My question is pretty simple...

How much money is that going to cost me? In my head I see myself running a 4.7 KB because size matters LOL

I want to be able to have 1k and still be able to participate in out of town cruises that would require hours of road trips without having drivability issues.

I do have a second car so I would not be DD 1k.

Also would be doing a 6r80 swap because I plan on mainly 1/4 mile runs with the car.

My biggest issue is I feel I ended up with the most expensive engine to mod to 1k and am wondering what the price difference is between getting a 5.8 to 1k and getting a boss 5.0 to 1k.

I owned a 302 prior to getting the Shelby and would not be against selling the 500 for a boss to be able to hit the 1k goal especially if it means saving a significant amount of money.

Thanks in advance for any input and advice. My goal is to be at 1k new year 2017

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
in either case you will need a built motor....11-14 is a cheaper choice as the car starts off substantially cheaper...much cheaper to just buy an auto equipped 11-14 5.0, build atleast a sleeved shortblock and then just add boost....lots of options will get you there, turbos seem to be the ones at the front of the line in the 1k+ hp zone these days..

HighTorque

Established Member
in either case you will need a built motor....11-14 is a cheaper choice as the car starts off substantially cheaper...much cheaper to just buy an auto equipped 11-14 5.0, build atleast a sleeved shortblock and then just add boost....lots of options will get you there, turbos seem to be the ones at the front of the line in the 1k+ hp zone these days..

Yes I am planning on building motor with either option. starting with an 11-14 auto would be ideal but I would want to start with a boss for the simple reason of not wanting to "downgrade" to a regular mustang. All mustangs are awesome and I don't see anything wrong with Gt's but personal preference I would want atleast a boss.

I am not very familiar with turbos and have never driven a turbo car before but that wouldn't be out of the question.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I personally would keep the Shelby and mod that, either way you're going to spend some money to build a car making that kind of power.

my13Elenor

Established Member
Call Power by the Hour, if you're going Auto and don't want a GT, keep the Shelby, they will steer you in the right direction,, you can make 1000 rwhp pretty easily with even the stock blower, built short block and E-85

Last edited:

HighTorque

Established Member
Call Power by the Hour, if you're going Auto and don't want a GT, keep the Shelby, they will steer you in the right direction,, you can make 1000 rwhp pretty easily with even the stock blower, built short block and E-85

Ive seen a few cars done by them looks like quality work. Not a fan of E85 though only because its not readily available.

my13Elenor

Established Member
Ive seen a few cars done by them looks like quality work. Not a fan of E85 though only because its not readily available.
I believe the technology exists to set the car up to read and adjust on the fly from pump 93 to E85, that would be best of both worlds! Agree about availability, here in Naples FL we just now have a station that carries it

HighTorque

Established Member
i believe the technology exists to set the car up to read and adjust on the fly from pump 93 to e85, that would be best of both worlds! Agree about availability, here in naples fl we just now have a station that carries it

i know a few friends that have a 85 and 93 tune at the ready but not sure how that works. For example while on a road trip if i have 1/4 of a tank of gas of e85 do i need to let the car run dry at gas station then load new tune for 93 and fill up or vice versa...

HighTorque

Established Member
looking at a forged setup with heads, cams, blower or turbo, etc, so pretty much yep. The stuff adds up unbelievably fast.

i guess that answers my question on whether starting with a roadrunner is less expensive than a trinity motor.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I've used Power By The Hour and they're top notch and Ken Bjonnes with Lund Racing is a the man when it comes to tuning these cars.

Speedboosted

Established Member
If you don't have a budget, build the gt500. If you do have a budget, an auto 5.0 is the only way to go. The cost won't be in the engine, it'll be in the body surrounding it.

HighTorque

Established Member
if you don't have a budget, build the gt500. If you do have a budget, an auto 5.0 is the only way to go. The cost won't be in the engine, it'll be in the body surrounding it.

not including the cost of the car strictly the build from stock to 1k rwhp, its more or less the same for either engine?

Bad Company

Established Member
On a street driven car the 4.7L SC is too big. It will actually hurt low end throttle response considerably in the lower RPM range of the engine.

On a 5.0 or 5.8L I wouldn't go above a 3.6L SC on a street car on pump 93, unless you're planning on doing massive amounts of modifications to reduce boost while spinning the SC at speeds to keep it efficient. These types of mods to reduce boost while maintaining high enough SC speeds for efficiency add up to more money then you can imagine very quickly.

CNC ported heads and intake manifold

Big tube headers

Bigger intercooler

Modify manifold to flow more air through the bigger intercooler

Cams and all the corresponding parts in the valve train

Big Ford GT timing chain set.

The list goes on and on.

From what little you posted I can see you easily spending $50K for the mods you want with a GT500 to meet your goals

With a Boss I think you'll be extremely close to the same costs

rdsnk46

Established Member
I would use a 3.6 LC KB, I'm already on my way to this goal. I'll make a stop @ 850 wheel and have a 1000 whp max. Stay tuned for make it or break it live. Remember.....I'll leave you with this one thought, there is no warranty in performance.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm shooting for a 1000hp in my car also, that's half the reason I bought a 3.6KB. I'm either going to have Livernois or JDM Engineering build my engine. But I'm keeping my 6 speed, especially since im setting my car up for 1/2 mile and 1 mile runs. Now for everything it sounds like you want I would sell the Shelby and buy a 2013 GT with a auto. You will probably save money in the long run. I know 6r80 swaps in GT500s aren't cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread