1/2 Mile Race car prep

delvek

Established Member
So, does anyone know if the mpss 315s will fit on the back with stock rims?

I thought I read that people have used 285s but would be nice if we can go larger.

99SSls1

Established Member
315 35 20 nt05r's on stock svtpp rims. They look cleaner then the MPSS did and the traction is no comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_20141111_094252_975.jpg
    IMG_20141111_094252_975.jpg
    1,009.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

ThomasL

Established Member
I already have my 1/4 drag setup with 15s in rear and Nitto 555r tires. For the half mile, can/should i run those 15s in back with my stock 19s up front or just put a DR on my stock 20 rears?? Pros and cons to either setup for a 1/2 mile would be appreciated. Didn't see any restrictions on a 15 wheel on the WannaGoFast rules.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
1/2 mile on 20 MT drag radials, that's going to be hairy unless the road is nice and flat. past 130 they are a huge handful. you should be close to 175+mph with your power. I went to 160 on them and will not do it ever again. psi doesn't mean crap, they actually work better at about 20 psi vs 35-45 on the street.

Mickey makes a new street tire tread with the compound of the drag radials. I'm going to try them to see if they work any better. sticky tires are a huge must have for your power level.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Probably would defer to Van or Derek, guys with top speed experience, but a big part of the equation is gearing.
Have you calculated the 1/2 expected MPH and the trap RPM each tire will give you?
Spend some time at Wallaceracing.com calculators, good stuff there.
I personally think the drag radials would be fine at 1/2 mile, but have no experience.
I buried my '04 Cobra speedo on NT555Rs more than once and it was stable ;-)
-J

ThomasL

Established Member
Probably would defer to Van or Derek, guys with top speed experience, but a big part of the equation is gearing.
Have you calculated the 1/2 expected MPH and the trap RPM each tire will give you?
Spend some time at Wallaceracing.com calculators, good stuff there.
I personally think the drag radials would be fine at 1/2 mile, but have no experience.
I buried my '04 Cobra speedo on NT555Rs more than once and it was stable ;-)
-J

Good info as always. Thanks.

Roushman

Tampa Whipped and more
Established Member
For those going. Is anyone planning for a group meet? Also who's staying over for both days? Hate to go and miss any get togethers.
I'm staying over Fri and Sat night at embassy.

ThomasL

Established Member
For those going. Is anyone planning for a group meet? Also who's staying over for both days? Hate to go and miss any get togethers.

I live here in Ocala so i'm down for whatever. We should all definitely meet up.

Van@RevanRacing

Drag Radials are fine for the 1/2 mile event. The surface is excellent but we have not gotten confirmation as to whether or not burnouts are allowed. We will find out the weekend of the event.

Ice cells are excellent for these events. Plumb it to by pass the heat exchanger just for racing.

Check and change your spark plugs. For events like this you need a colder spark plug. TR7IX or TR8IX depending on boost pressure. If you're at 19 psi or more go with TR8IX. And take spares!!!

My personal favorite. Helitape. Dramatically reduces drag co-efficient and improves MPH. Split a roll with a fellow competitor. It's $220 per roll and gets more expensive the wider the tape.

Technique, Technique and lastly, TECHNIQUE! I spent a lot of time coaching Derek. He went from 184 to 217 in two short years. Derek don't tell my secrets!!! LOL

Most of all, take care of your car, take care of your body (hydrate) and get sleep the night before. Show up fresh and relaxed. You'll have a great time.

Anybody has questions let me know. I'm leaving for Daytona in a day so if I'm off grid for a while I'll reply when I can. Usually I can when I'm up in the tower overseeing the track. Hard to post replies when you're watching cars on track.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Drag Radials are fine for the 1/2 mile event. The surface is excellent but we have not gotten confirmation as to whether or not burnouts are allowed. We will find out the weekend of the event.

Ice cells are excellent for these events. Plumb it to by pass the heat exchanger just for racing.

Check and change your spark plugs. For events like this you need a colder spark plug. TR7IX or TR8IX depending on boost pressure. If you're at 19 psi or more go with TR8IX. And take spares!!!

My personal favorite. Helitape. Dramatically reduces drag co-efficient and improves MPH. Split a roll with a fellow competitor. It's $220 per roll and gets more expensive the wider the tape.

Technique, Technique and lastly, TECHNIQUE! I spent a lot of time coaching Derek. He went from 184 to 217 in two short years. Derek don't tell my secrets!!! LOL

Most of all, take care of your car, take care of your body (hydrate) and get sleep the night before. Show up fresh and relaxed. You'll have a great time.

Anybody has questions let me know. I'm leaving for Daytona in a day so if I'm off grid for a while I'll reply when I can. Usually I can when I'm up in the tower overseeing the track. Hard to post replies when you're watching cars on track.

Good advice Van, I'm doing my roll racing event next week.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Hi,

I will be there Thursday night and will be for both days, I am part of the staff and will be staying at the Hilton. Here is my cell 787-671-9067.

Manuel

BOSSPOWER

Established Member

Drag radials...YES
Burnout...YES

Manuel

Roushman

Tampa Whipped and more
Established Member
ThomasL

If you live there maybe it's possible you know a good meet spot or cruise spot? I'm not very familiar up there besides seeing the sign that says Ocala exit
LOL

Sounds good Manuel. I'm there also. Side note, I only need a helmet right? I'm just a tuned car no 1000hp beast

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
ThomasL

If you live there maybe it's possible you know a good meet spot or cruise spot? I'm not very familiar up there besides seeing the sign that says Ocala exit
LOL

Sounds good Manuel. I'm there also. Side note, I only need a helmet right? I'm just a tuned car no 1000hp beast

Yes, helmet only.

Users who are viewing this thread