3. VW (Porche) flat 4 air cooled.
4. Ford Big block 352, 390, 406 CID
5. Chev Big block 348, 409 CID
6. Chev Big block 396, 427 CID
7. Chry Hemi 426
8. Chry Wedge 426, 440
9. Hudson Hornet straight 6
10. Buick straight 8

I have owned or worked on these engines in my youth and find them to be simple straight forward and reliable. Actually the most reliable engine was the VW, frequent oil change required, didn't have a filter.

Am I old? Yes

:coolman:

SnakeSkinner

Established Member
2JZ-GTE stock internals tested and proven reliably to 1000 hp, a couple of folks have even pushed them to 1200hp, once again with stock bottom end. This engine is the hands down winner in both performance capability and reliability. The only engine remotely close is a RB26DETT and after that everything else is comparatively a minor league competitor which is not worthy of mention in the same breath.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Seems to me it was only a few years ago the 4.6 Ford was on the list. Maybe Ford stopped advertising in their magazine, so there goes the kudos.

BreakNeck

Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic Blue 2003
Seems to me it was only a few years ago the 4.6 Ford was on the list. Maybe Ford stopped advertising in their magazine, so there goes the kudos.

RB26DETT may not be able to hold as much power on the stock bottom, but when going all out it is better due to...i think it was better crank design allowing it to rev much higher than the gte. Top Secret didnt put a rb26dett in a supra for kicks. So far the cobras bottom end is still yet to be proven. Then again it...when building a 1200hp car it doenst matter if you have to build the bottom end or not.

Last edited:

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by saadcobra
No Ford cars:(

If you read down among the nominees:

"Ford Motor Co. 2.3L DOHC I-4
• 145 hp/149 lb.-ft. (Focus PZEV)

Yea: Puts a new zing in the Focus.

Nay: Rough around the edges.

The Call: Moral dilemma for eco-weenies.

Ford Motor Co. 5.4L SOHC V-8
• 300 hp/365 lb.-ft. (F-150)

Yea: Ooooozes refinement.

Nay: Comatose throttle.

The Call: Great engineering, so-so execution.

Ford Motor Co. 6L Power Stroke OHV turbodiesel V-8
• 325 hp/560 lb.-ft. (F-Series Super Duty)

Yea: Heroic torque at highway speeds.

Nay: Reputation took a hit with quality glitches.

The Call: Has lost a step or two."

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
So what about the 4.6???? Is it a great motor???? Just got back from Amazon dyno days, talked to two guys with 03 Cobra's, one had a Viper previously, one still owned a Z01 Vette. I asked them to compare....there was no compare! Both have Aptens, both hoping for high 10's, low 11's with less than $3,000 in mods...and that's in a 3,700 lb car.....and they'll drive to and from the track with AC on and the CD blazing! I guess we'll just keep the 4.6 our little secret.....

SpittinCobra01

Established Member
the 4.6 DOHC didn't make the cut because it has oiling issues... such as pump gears, small returns in the heads, no factory windage tray ect

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
I could have sworn that the 03 Cobra had a windage tray too. Along with all the other great goodies..like Manley H Rods,ARP bolts..cast iron block...forged crank and pistons....the best of the best. Thanks again SVT for giving us one potent motor to build on.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I don't know too many stock engines that can handle 900+ horsepower like the 4.6 4 valve can. Most engines would be a smoking heap including most of those on their list.

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
And if the Supra engine ever met the BMW Exodus 4 Cylinder block project, it would get its ass handed to it.

SnakeSkinner

Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
I don't know too many stock engines that can handle 900+ horsepower like the 4.6 4 valve can. Most engines would be a smoking heap including most of those on their list.

Do some homework and research the 2JZ-GTE and RB26DETT engines. Both were developed over 10 years ago and they possess better performance capabilities and infinitely better reliability than anything on the market today. Never be so shortsighted as to not examine or worst yet, underestimate the competition.

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
The exodus project handles 1400 horses, and its a 4 cylinder.

So, make sure you dont underestimate your unknown competition.

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Oh and one more thing. Just like the other thread, this is a Ford site, I would think that means Ford owners talking internally about on and off subject topics.

We do not need STI/EVO/Supra owners coming to the rescue, we just dealt with this in another thread.

Just like I said before, it gets REAL old with other manufacturers having to come on here, and show us how intellectually superior there purchase was, or to bestow upon us the error of our ways.

Find a different site.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I stand by what I said. You add power adders to get the hp above 900 on most of these "stock" [not modified] engines and the result will be BOOM! Last I saw, at least a couple "stock" 4.6 4 valve engines were doing just that. Strictly performance said they've never taken the valve covers off of their 9 second rocket.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by SpittinCobra01
that article must have been written by hot rod magazine:nonono:

Beleive it or not, a few months ago, Hotrod magazine listed the SC DOHC Ford 4.6 as one of there top 10 best American V8's.

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
Sorry to say this, but to me, the best engine has to be the C5 or Zo6 350. Come on, 405 hp, and still 30 highway!! My dad and I took the vette to the 50th anniversary show and on the way back we got 38 mpg!!!! He has an air system and chip on it.
But don't get me wrong, I would rather have a Ford than a Chevy.

Users who are viewing this thread