10 Best Engines

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Why give credence to other writers' opinions. Every writer spins their stories according to their beliefs and prejudices. You have to look at the source. If it was John Force's crew chief writing this, then I might listen to what he is saying. LOL.

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
Originally posted by wally9404
i thought i saw a 5.4 ford engine?

Somebody had a blurb on the stock 5.4l V8 Triton posted somewhere in the threads.

I happen to like the 5.4l V8, but the SOHC 2v/cylinder IS a tough, well built engine. I wasn't too thrilled about the stock Ford truck motors in the contemporary trucks before the 5.4l came along ... tough engines, but nothing for me to smile over. The 5.0l was ok for me until I got my Lightning, then my perspective changed somewhat.

I am waiting for the DOHC, 24v 5.4l Lightning engine with GT40 heads on the '06 model ...especially if they put FORGED rods in, and not the heat-sintered ones in our trucks now.

Big smiles there, Rebel yells all the way, as long as it passes emissions tests in Virginia...:rockon:

....but seriously .... what NORMAL human uses 1200 HP on a street vehicle...?:bored:

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
Every writer spins their stories according to their beliefs and prejudices.

Right on :rockon:

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Originally posted by capello
My 10 best are;

1. Ford "Y" block 272, 292, 312 CID
2. Chev Small Block 265, 283, 327 CID
3. VW (Porche) flat 4 air cooled.
4. Ford Big block 352, 390, 406 CID
5. Chev Big block 348, 409 CID
6. Chev Big block 396, 427 CID
7. Chry Hemi 426
8. Chry Wedge 426, 440
9. Hudson Hornet straight 6
10. Buick straight 8

I have owned or worked on these engines in my youth and find them to be simple straight forward and reliable. Actually the most reliable engine was the VW, frequent oil change required, didn't have a filter.

Am I old? Yes

:coolman:

I agree on the VW...My grandad wouldn't buy anything other than VW...I personally hold the 5.0L as my personal top dog.It's reliability and potential have been proven time and time again.Just my own opinion though.:beer:

Last edited:

davidmax

Established Member
Were mostly V-8 folk any way,Dave Smilovic
Screw Supras,never found 1 I couldnt EAT!!,Dave S.

Dave07997S

Established Member
but how much more did you have to pay for the same performance???

A lot more, but you get a lot more in other areas. Dont get me wrong I love Cobras. Ive owned 3 of them, a 93, 95 and Chrome Yellow 98 Cobra I sorely miss. Actually when the SVT came out with the DOHC V8 for the Cobras it made Wards Automotive 10 best engines as did the SVT Contours engine for a few years in a row. Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread