10 Rib Set Up on new boss crate motor with 2.9 whipple

378wby

Established Member
getflashplayer"  allowscriptaccess="always"  allowfullscreen="true"  bgcolor="

Mnstr50

Established Member
Any particular reason why you went with the Boss long-block? It sounds lke a killer setup, but with the costs involved in the build, I might have opted for a true forged bottom-end.

Either way, sounds amazing, and I'm totally jealous! ;)

r.barn

Established Member
Yeah, I would have gone with the 11:1 aluminator and just swapped in the Boss cams. Much stronger bottom end. Although the Boss engine does come with the CNC'd heads too.

378wby

Established Member
Any particular reason why you went with the Boss long-block? It sounds lke a killer setup, but with the costs involved in the build, I might have opted for a true forged bottom-end.

Either way, sounds amazing, and I'm totally jealous! ;)

The shop that is helping me with the build had an extra boss crate engine in inventory and made me a deal on it that I couldn't refuse.

r.barn

Established Member
Swap in some better rods and you will basically have the $25k Cobra Jet S/C engine there.

378wby

Established Member
I'm just finishing my build on a new boss crate engine, with the SCJ Ford 10 Rib Setup on a whipple 2.9, Tremec 6060, American Racing Headers.....etc. This will be going into a 2012 Mustang GT. Should be ready for the tuners next week. Running 100 Octane. Will Post Dyno Numbers once I have them.

http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=97cfce197508a9d8d33ce936de451066

Finally dropped the engine, headers, tremec....etc in. Need to upgrade the fuel system then its off to the tuners.

ry%3D400

378wby

Established Member
I really like your set up. Should make some nice power. What fuel upgrades are you doing?

I had hoped that a boost a pump and larger injectors would suffice but it first blush it appears that things fall off from a fuel delivery perspective as one nears 600 RWHP. I'm going to be installing a return style fuel system. Something similar to the JPC offering. My installer does a lot of work for Ford Racing and is discussing a number of options with the ford racing group. Happy to keep you posted as things materialize

378wby

Established Member
Wow, that's a big pulley. Looks great though!

The pulley is stupid big, so much that with the the 2inch blower snout the hood will barely close. The challenge with the 10 Rib set up is that you have to run a crank damper with a 20% overdrive. It's a balancing act relative to boost calibration between the overdrive damper and the actually SC pulley. My hope is that I will be able to go to a smaller pulley once I get it on the dyno and determine boost level, hp........etc.

r.barn

Established Member
The pulley is stupid big, so much that with the the 2inch blower snout the hood will barely close. The challenge with the 10 Rib set up is that you have to run a crank damper with a 20% overdrive. It's a balancing act relative to boost calibration between the overdrive damper and the actually SC pulley. My hope is that I will be able to go to a smaller pulley once I get it on the dyno and determine boost level, hp........etc.

Some people just start with the smaller blower pulley and race gas in the tank for the initial tuning to keep it safe. Then adjust down to 93octane while watching for knock.

A good rule of them is the O/D crank pulley is going to add 5-6psi to whatever the blower pulley would have made on stock crank.

I need to quit screwing with my Raptor and get busy on my install to catch up with you guys.

Last edited:

Bud

Established Member
I am curious how quick you get to max rated rpm of the 2.9 with the 20% overdrive damper. Also curious if driving it over the max rated rpm just puts the blower out of it's efficiency range or if it causes longevity issues.

378wby

Established Member
Some people just start with the smaller blower pulley and race gas in the tank for the initial tuning to keep it safe. Then adjust down to 93octane while watching for knock.

A good rule of them is the O/D crank pulley is going to add 5-6psi to whatever the blower pulley would have made on stock crank.

I need to quit screwing with my Raptor and get busy on my install to catch up with you guys.

R Barn, thanks so much for the information/guidance here. Looking forward to getting my car finished. Keep me posted on yours as well

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I haven't calculated the blower rpm's with the 10-rib vs stock, but I am able to run a 2.75 6 rib pulley on the 2.9 with no slippage using a Metco idler.

Users who are viewing this thread