10w6 or 12w6 Jl audio

makevelie187

Established Member
Ok so i posted this on here because i will never get a response on the corvette forum, mainly because of the amount of users there vs this site, and i feel more bassheads will be here as well. So i am in between a 10w6 and a 12w6, single sub, Sealed box ( box will be specked exactly to size ) im considering the 12 inch but i want quality over all, im over the huge bass systems with drowning beats just to hit as hard as they can. I listen to house, hip hop , rock / metal. Overall a sealed box im going to prefer because of the quality im just figuring out if a 12 will loose that much sound quality over a 10 inch considering it is a JL sub. powered by a 500/1 jl amp.

Somewhere out there i though maybe a ported 10' would sound great but im after quality over anything! I have herd a ported jl 12 powered by a jl amp, and put a fast beat song on and i didn't like the sound it produced because of the lag in keeping up with the fast beats.

My car is a c5z06 so its a hatchback pretty much and regardless i am going to feel and hear the bass better than most cars because of the hatchback design. what is your opinion guys? Thank you

P.S. Im sticking with Jl please don't recommend any other subs.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I say either would be more than enough. In my old Fox, I ran two 8" JL Audio W0's with the factory radio and it was more than loud enough to drown out the Flowmaster 40's with an offroad h-pipe.

If I had my choice, a 13.5 W7 wouldn't be to shabby either... I have heard that setup and holy smokes, never heard something hit so hard!

bleedout

Established Member
Ive used JL for years, had 2-15w6's, 3- 12w6, 2-12w3, and 10w6. I can say that my last 12w3's were in a ported box to spec and yes i didnt like the bass they produced. Yes it was very loud but not crisp. I listen to rock, metal, hair bands ect and that box didnt cut it. I switched to a sealed box and problem solved. Go with sealed enclosure man. Youll be much happier and i'd say the 10 will have a tight, clean hit. The 12 would be good too. My next set up in my stang will be 10's tho. I prefer them over 12's these days. GL

SBTerminator

Established Member
I have a 10W7 going into a ported slot ported box. If you want that real tight bass, then yes go with a sealed box. Ported "hits" harder, a sealed is tighter.

oldmodman

Established Member
I have a JL Stealthbox in my old Ford Explorer. It has a 10" JL

Much better sound than my old 12" sealed box that just sat behind the rear seats. Don't know if the 10" is a better speaker or the Stealthbox is just a better enclosure.

CLN 6R

Established Member
I have a JL 10W6v2 in a spec'd sealed custom trunk box, powered by a JL 500/1 amp, and I like it.

Hope this helps!

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
2 10's, sealed box, configured in Isobaric.

FWIW, Isobaric config's cut the box volume by about half, leaving you some cargo room. (Anyone got a box response calculator handy?)

I'd build a box (removable) that sat on either the left or right half of the cargo space. Mount the amp to the box, signal and power through a multiconnector. 2 handles on the box for removal.

Neverlift

scotchy scotch scotch
Established Member
JL 12w6 w/500w powering it will be plenty for a vette. JL makes the most "Musical" subs available IMO, they reproduce bass in a manner that allows your ear to differentiate between instruments. JLs hit hard and deep but they are not SPL subs. As regarding Go sealed, Ported boxes will offer more volume but sacrifice accuracy.

If you can fit the 12 do it, but a 10 will do the trick too. the 12 will allow you to get a little lower in the frequency range, but those are frequencies you feel more than hear.

Not sure if your Vette has the Bose audio system installed. GM's Bose system automatically reduces bass at higher volume levels. Products do exist to defeat this, special line-out converters but I don't have a link to the product.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
That would be the most underpowered sound system ever.

I have two JL 10W6v2's in my L that are powered by a JL 1000/1.

Not really to be honest. Go look at the specs of the sub. Off of jl's site it says RMS for the recommended amp is between 200-600rms, just right for that sub

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
That would be the most underpowered sound system ever.

I have two JL 10W6v2's in my L that are powered by a JL 1000/1.

So you've got under 500w going to each sub...How is that any different?

Like I said, JLs trash. They charge double what the speakers worth and there are a ton of better options for better prices.

johnjon87

Established Member
I have the JL 13" shallows in mu srt8 grand Cherokee.. more than Enough and i have room to put things in the back too.. they're awesome for cars with no space as well i think they're only 6" deep including the box.. ill take some pics and post em up asap

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

chrisheltra

Established Member
So you've got under 500w going to each sub...How is that any different?

Like I said, JLs trash. They charge double what the speakers worth and there are a ton of better options for better prices.

Was thinking he meant to run two 12's off one 500 watt amp. I failed at reading.

Btw JL's are far from trash and there are ways to save a lot of money when buying them.

Last edited:

streetassasin

Welcome to Gaptown, TX
Established Member
Was thinking he meant to run two 12's off one 500 watt amp. I failed at reading.

Btw JL's are far from trash and there are ways to save a lot of money when buying them.

Im running 2 mtx thunder 6000 10"s in my truck off a cadence xah250.2 and its not horrible :shrug: but just ordered 2 aq hdc3 18"s and have a lanzar opti6000d waiting to power 'em :-D

Users who are viewing this thread