10w6 or 12w6 Jl audio

Coiled03

Established Member
So you've got under 500w going to each sub...How is that any different?

Like I said, JLs trash. They charge double what the speakers worth and there are a ton of better options for better prices.

:dw: :bored:

Go ahead, give us a list of all the better options for better prices. I'll be interested to see this.

Not saying they're the best subs out there, but you'd be hard pressed to find many brands that beat them by a significant margin on price, yet offer better performance.

chrisheltra

Established Member
Im running 2 mtx thunder 6000 10"s in my truck off a cadence xah250.2 and its not horrible :shrug: but just ordered 2 aq hdc3 18"s and have a lanzar opti6000d waiting to power 'em :-D

I have a buddy that used to win dB competitions with a 50 watt soundstream. Man those things were beasts down at a 1/4 ohm.

streetassasin

Welcome to Gaptown, TX
Established Member
I have a buddy that used to win dB competitions with a 50 watt soundstream. Man those things were beasts down at a 1/4 ohm.

I was thinking of running the opti6k at .5 ohm but doubt Ill have enough electrical for it, (singer 350 amp alt, xsd6500 and 2 xs xp3000's)

this is the sa8 v2 I mentioned earlier and in the right box I bet it would walk all over the w6 spl wise while being half the price and taking up less space
(sorry bout the huge pic)

DSC00226.jpg

IMO there's just somethin about a beastly 8" :lol1: I have a TC Sounds Epic 8" that needs a recone then its going in the wifes car

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
:dw: :bored:

Go ahead, give us a list of all the better options for better prices. I'll be interested to see this.

Not saying they're the best subs out there, but you'd be hard pressed to find many brands that beat them by a significant margin on price, yet offer better performance.

Since he's looking at the w6 Ill be assuming he wants SQ over SPL.

Ascendant Audio Havoc, Incriminator Audio Flatlyne, Sundown Audio SD (maybe even the SA series), Sound Solutions Audio Icon and Xcon series, Exodus Audio if you can find them, Image Dynamics, Hertz, Focal, some REs, Old School TCs, etc...

I can literally type for days.

JLs only big because of their marketing on such shows as Pimp my Ride.

If SQ is his real goal (highly doubtful), then the sub really doesn't matter. It's all about the installation and your components.

streetassasin

Welcome to Gaptown, TX
Established Member

Ascendant Audio Havoc, Incriminator Audio Flatlyne, Sundown Audio SD (maybe even the SA series), Sound Solutions Audio Icon and Xcon series, Exodus Audio if you can find them, Image Dynamics, Hertz, Focal, some REs, Old School TCs, etc...

If SQ is his real goal (highly doubtful), then the sub really doesn't matter. It's all about the installation and your components.

forgot the FI Q :D

fuq it, do 2 dd z18"s, 2 21" wardens or 2 dc neo 18"s on 4 sundown ns-1's should be decent

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I have a JL Stealthbox in my old Ford Explorer. It has a 10" JL

Much better sound than my old 12" sealed box that just sat behind the rear seats. Don't know if the 10" is a better speaker or the Stealthbox is just a better enclosure.

possibly because the stealthbox is designed by JL, or possibly they were different series speakers. same amp? perhaps the 12" box was too big? a few variables there. the stealthbox is plastic i believe, iirc. wood will always produced a better sound than plastic or fiberglass.

ive always preferred the sound of 12 over 10s for their deeper bass but they take up quite a bit more room. ive got 8, 10 and 12" JLs sitting in my garage (one day to actually go IN something lol). ive also got 10" kicker solo barics as well which are pretty nice. they can go in really small boxes and still hit pretty good.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
If space is no issue go with the 12w6.

this. Great subs (stupid to buy new for their price though to most people). Extremely linear with low distortion. Did VERY well on the Klippel test

Ive used JL for years, had 2-15w6's, 3- 12w6, 2-12w3, and 10w6. I can say that my last 12w3's were in a ported box to spec and yes i didnt like the bass they produced. Yes it was very loud but not crisp. I listen to rock, metal, hair bands ect and that box didnt cut it. I switched to a sealed box and problem solved. Go with sealed enclosure man. Youll be much happier and i'd say the 10 will have a tight, clean hit. The 12 would be good too. My next set up in my stang will be 10's tho. I prefer them over 12's these days. GL

Subwoofer size DOES NOT determine sound. That's enclosure. I mean it does to a small/academic degree, but your ported boxed was 99.9% the culprit. What was it tuned to? Was it the correct size, did you have excessive port velocity/noise (chuffing basically), etc etc. My buddies AE ib15's can hit just as fast, quickly, etc as any sub out there. Well known that they are some incredible subs

I have a 10W7 going into a ported slot ported box. If you want that real tight bass, then yes go with a sealed box. Ported "hits" harder, a sealed is tighter.

Eh..somewhat. Ported will give you a "slight" (roughly 3db) boost above tuning freq. A correct and well built ported can sound just as good as sealed AND give you increased efficiency and that db boost. Some like the sound of sealed over ported and vise versa....but that's a common myth that needs to die lol.

Neither. They're both overpriced.

I will disagree, but agree at the same time lol. They spec'd VERY well on the Klippel and will have incredible SQ while still being at to get decently loud. Sure you can find other subs that will get close, but you might be giving up a few things as far as install, how high you want to run them, etc etc. I assume most people that say they don't like JL's w6/w7 is due to the fact that they like to hear distortion and are accustomed to it. Most people don't like the dry sound that a true SQ setup "can" give you. Also, install is extremely important. Different cars will sound different to an extent. The car is a SHITTY environment to try to reproduce clean audio lol. What would you recommend instead? I mean sure he could pick up the IDq, IDmax, Arc12/10, Icon, Q, Dayton HO/HF, etc etc. What about the Ultimo? Or the Dyn 1200? They are known as the "top" of SQ subs, but are they overpriced?

My point is that its EXTREMELY hard to recommend something that will be perfect for everyone. Subs play a VERY small freq. band in the overall spectrum and sometimes we get caught up to much on them. "Overpriced" is a subjective term and might not be overpriced to someone else who prefers their sound signature over something that's $100 less or $100 more.

I have a JL 10W6v2 in a spec'd sealed custom trunk box, powered by a JL 500/1 amp, and I like it.

Hope this helps!

Put that 10w6 in a slightly larger enclosure than JL spec'd and it will bring out that low end. JL's spec's are definitely on the small side.

As regarding Go sealed, Ported boxes will offer more volume but sacrifice accuracy.

Not at all. Good info everywhere else though! If you can afford to go larger OP...do it! Cone area is always great to have when you can have it.

That would be the most underpowered sound system ever.

I have two JL 10W6v2's in my L that are powered by a JL 1000/1.

That's perfect for these. It's not like your subs are seeing exactly 500 at all times. Music is dynamic and, if your gains are set correctly, your subs probably don't see more than 200-250 most of the time. Headroom is great though!

I know you said jl only but look into a sundown sa8 v2, its a beast little sub

Totally different beast. SPL built

In my experience it's best to be in the upper 1/3 of JL's recommendation. I also had the same amp on my old 13W7.

Yerp. JL specs down for many reasons...aka common "idiot" consumers.

Im running 2 mtx thunder 6000 10"s in my truck off a cadence xah250.2 and its not horrible :shrug: but just ordered 2 aq hdc3 18"s and have a lanzar opti6000d waiting to power 'em :-D

That'll be loud! Those HDC's can sound pretty nice for strictly SPL. Pretty easy on the wallet too! Hope your electrical is up to par lol

I know your sticking with JL but since everyone else is throwing in recommendations-

Alpine SWR-1223D (SWR1223D) 12" Dual 2 ohm Type-R Car Subwoofer

Cant beat the quality and sound for that price :thumbsup:

The new 2012 Type-R actually isn't all that bad. I still think there's better for the money. Good route if you only could go local or BB or something.

Starting to like this guy...

I've got a 12" IDmax v2 on its way. Can't wait to try it out! Giving some serious thought to going IB (infinite baffle) though with some AE SBP15's, FI IB315's, my 12w6's or adding another IDmax. I hate this addiction

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP- Post up what you'd like to spend and what gear you have already. Also, would you like to not take up too much space or what are your goals as far as space and install? I mean you could run the Dayton HO 10" ported in 0.7cuft around 28-30hz and supposedly sounds incredible. Great SQ with plenty of output. Cheap too!

Last edited:

srtsir

Established Member
I had a JL 12jw and later bought Cervin Vega's V-Max 12's and I swear CV sounded louder and cleaner than JL with 1/2 the price...

Neverlift

scotchy scotch scotch
Established Member
Also this statement makes no sense.

this is what I was getting at:

A healthy human ear can detect frequencies from 20khz to 20hz,

A JL 12w6 is capable of reproducing frequencies as low as 20hz, and the 10w6 reproduces as low as 23hz. (JL Audio.com) It is easier for the body to feel frequencies in the 23hz to 20hz range than it is for the ear to hear as discernible tone. Trying to hear the 3hz difference especially when the ears are already busy with the mid and high range frequencies is incredibly difficult. The difference between 2 subs with identical voice coils & enclosure but different cone area is more likely to be felt than heard.

Users who are viewing this thread