11 GT500 - Break in Period: First Oil Change?

32V SVT

Established Member
Am I reading the Shelby GT500 supplement correctly in that the first scheduled maintenance for the Oil and Filter is @ 7500 miles??? :read:

Given the recent rash of debates over the quality of the Ford / Motorcraft Synthetic 5w-50 product, I'm kinda leaning towards changing my own oil sooner...

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

jimh

Established Member
I never wait the full time for my first oil change. No more than 1000 miles. I did mine at 500 and again at 2000, then normal intervals.

$.02

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I would drop the first oil change before the first 1,500 miles. If you choose a better lubricant, then you can maintain a 7,500 oil change interval. I don't trust Ford's fluid, or whoever formulates it for them.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
7500 miles...screw that. i changed mine after 500, then every 3000 or 9 months...whichever comes first.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
7500 miles...screw that. i changed mine after 500, then every 3000 or 9 months...whichever comes first.

Big Oil Media over the years has succeeded with you. You have been brainwashed to believe an oil change must be done at 3,000 miles. With todays superior 100% real synthetics, not the fake group III base stock synthetics you commonly find from Mobil, Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline, etc.., you can go far beyond 3,000 miles. Even the cheaper base stock oils I just listed will do 7,500 miles without a problem. Whatever it takes to make you sleep good at night, but if you only drive 3,000 miles in 9 months, you might as well leave it in all year.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
these arent 3000 miles of driving granny to church. they are 9 months of 16 PSI, WOT hang on miles!

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Hey Beast for us old folks who grew up with Hot Rods and Muscle Cars running straight 30 weight, it isn't about "Big Media" at all. We we're trained that you ALWAYS changed your Oil and Filter by 3000 miles or every 6 months, whatever came first. [Where I came from the fight was Quaker State or Pennzoil, Pa. Crude]. I can remember when "Detergent oil" and Multi-weight was a big thing, and no I'm not retired or at retirement age. Anyway I still change the Oil and Filter on my daily driver every 3500-4000 miles, and do my fun car by time, not mileage, i.e. every 6-8 months. Hey, I'm old school and it gives me something to do on the car. I'm going to switch next time to one of the recommended 5W/50 Oils that are tested, I appreciate all of the efforts, and info here. The GT500 is a much different car than my Terminator......

32V SVT

Established Member
these arent 3000 miles of driving granny to church. they are 9 months of 16 PSI, WOT hang on miles!

LOL That's awesome!!! The way a Shelby should be driven! :beer:

I'm approaching 2500 miles and just ordered some 5w-50 off the Internet...
Should have it by the weekend for an oil change. I'll feel better knowing my break in is through, now I'll continue running the good stuff!

Thanks! :coolman:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Hey Beast for us old folks who grew up with Hot Rods and Muscle Cars running straight 30 weight, it isn't about "Big Media" at all. We we're trained that you ALWAYS changed your Oil and Filter by 3000 miles or every 6 months, whatever came first. [Where I came from the fight was Quaker State or Pennzoil, Pa. Crude]. I can remember when "Detergent oil" and Multi-weight was a big thing, and no I'm not retired or at retirement age. Anyway I still change the Oil and Filter on my daily driver every 3500-4000 miles, and do my fun car by time, not mileage, i.e. every 6-8 months. Hey, I'm old school and it gives me something to do on the car. I'm going to switch next time to one of the recommended 5W/50 Oils that are tested, I appreciate all of the efforts, and info here. The GT500 is a much different car than my Terminator......

Things have changed, and so has technology. I will have the UOAs to prove it very soon.

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
You guys are crazy. Changing you oil after 500 miles it is a waste of money. I have over 30 passes on my car already and its still on the original oil. I change mine every 3,000 miles or 30 or so track passes. I'm changing mine this week. My car has about 2900 miles on it.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
You guys are crazy. Changing you oil after 500 miles it is a waste of money. I have over 30 passes on my car already and its still on the original oil. I change mine every 3,000 miles or 30 or so track passes. I'm changing mine this week. My car has about 2900 miles on it.

I always recommend changing the factory fill at maximum 1,500 miles the first time. Just to remove excess initial wear metals. After that, get a solid formulation and change it at the factory recommended intervals of 7,500 miles or more, depending on your oil choice.

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
Then depending on your driving habits...
every 3k-7k

3k if you like the occasional track pass and on-ramp...

7k if you don't know what your blower sounds like...

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Great info. Beast I appreciate all of your expertise, and my next change will be to one of your oils that tests very well. Thanx!

96slowbra

Established Member
if ford recomends a certain mileage interval on a car with a $15,000 motor in it and covers it for 5 years or 60k they certainly don't under rate their intervals. they do their research. plus they have to deal with some of the consumers not being enthusiast, like we are here. so there is probably much left on the table. i use only the recomended oil and filters, and change my oil every spring (roughly 2,000 miles).

whiplash920

Established Member
i just bought some redline 5/50 - it says NOT to use until after engine is broken in - after 3000 miles. what does everyone think???? my 10' is at 600 miles, do i need to wait until 3000 to use this oil??

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Not on these cars nor most modern engines. Remember, these cars came with synthetic from the factory. I use Purolator Pure 1 or Amsoil EA filters. They trap a lot more than the crap Ford filters.

Last edited:

6-Speed

Established Member
Am I reading the Shelby GT500 supplement correctly in that the first scheduled maintenance for the Oil and Filter is @ 7500 miles??? :read:

Given the recent rash of debates over the quality of the Ford / Motorcraft Synthetic 5w-50 product, I'm kinda leaning towards changing my own oil sooner...

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
I have three UOA reports on the factory fills, one from a 2008 GT500 and two from 2010 GT500s. The FF from the 2008 sheared to an equivalent of a 40 grade in 3068 miles. But both the FFs from the 2010s sheared to a 30 grade in fewer miles.

2008 FF1 viscosity => 13.19 cSt (40 grade) in 3068 miles
2010 FF2 viscosity => 12.07 cSt (30 grade) in 2151 miles
2010 FF3 viscosity => 10.4 cSt (30 grade) in 734 miles

FF1 from the 2008 shears like the MC 5W50. However, FF2 and FF3 from the 2010s didn't shear like any 5W50 oil I've seen before so I don't know what Ford puts in at the factory now-a-days. FF2 had a trace of fuel, but FF3 had less than 1% fuel dilution so it wasn't a factor in the low viscosity, which is equivalent to a light 30 grade oil.

Since yours is a 2011 model ... I wouldn't wait for the 7500 mile mark before changing it out, in fact I'd change it out now even with only 2500 miles on it. I might also suggest sending a sample to a lab for a UOA and sharing since I have yet to see what the 2011 factory-fill looks like.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Good post 6-speed. Could you PM me those UOAs?

Everyone's concerns about 2,000-3,000 oil changes with Motorcraft and Castrol 5W-50 are valid. They shear rapidly. I recommend this interval using the -B spec'd fluids. Using a top tier synthetic will extend that interval, and that's what I am currently testing. I'm going to see how far I can take my current fill, and I'm not going to change it until the UOA says it's time. Samples every 2,000 miles.

Last edited:

6-Speed

Established Member
I only have the two saved off from the 2010 GT500s.

Factory_Fill.png
GT500UOA734Mi1112011_1_001.jpg

Note the OAI report shows unit time and lube time that are inconsistent with a factory fill where unit time and lube time should be the same number of miles. Also OAI reports the vehicle is a Mustang GT, but both are incorrect. The owner of the report (2010KB) elaborates that the report is indeed the factory fill from a GT500 with only 734 miles in post #205 and #212 in this thread.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62966-motorcraft-5w50-voa/page__st__200

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread