"13 GT500 vs ZL1 Track Test Inside Line

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Lighter front wheels don't give you 3mph :lol1: Intake manifold and supercharger were left stock. It had a cold air intake only.

Didn't that car require gears, full exhaust, and weight reduction?

No weight reduction, gears, k-member and bolt-ons. 9 second 6spd car.

rwboring

Established Member
Pretty much!

Pulley/tune/cai is what... $750? Hell buy a cobra jet throttle body for $550, Catless offroad Lethal X pipe for $299 and Rear tires for $400. ($2000 mod limit)

For $2000 into the 2013 gt500, i dont think a zl1 would stand a chance unless you pour some big money into it. The set of light weight rear wheels (with tires) and front skinnies (wheels and tires) alone pretty much puts the zl1 out of that budget.

Edit: Hell up my budget to $2500 in case i am off a little on prices. Either way with only $2500 into a 2013 gt500 its very hard to beat without throwing a lot of money at the zl1 it seems.

If I understand it correctly the ZL1 can use heads and such that are already out there... so if you are giving yourself $2500 couldn't they do heads for that much? I'm not sure you could squeeze a tune and all in for that much but you get what I'm saying. It's the same ol' pushrod GM.

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Where did you read about the seat removal and drag brakes?

On here. Evo said it themselves. They had to put the brakes on to fit the smaller wheels. They said wheels will be available soon that will allow people to keep the stock brakes.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Ancient history?!:rockon: So you want to MOD the ZL1 but keep the '13 GT500 stock so you can make it ancient history:nonono:....that's fair. How about you give the same pulley and tune mod to the GT500.:poke: If you are going to mod the crapmaro give the same to the GT500, apples to apples. You will still be seeing GT500 taillights.:beer:

Hehehehe, I estimate the average mullet head will not modify his ZL1 because he is too chicken shit where as the average Cobra owner doesn't mind pulling out a hole saw and popping a few holes in the sheet metal because most of us have owed several Cobras. I'm on my fourth and I'm drilling the shit out of my GT500 modifying the crap out of it. 2010 with plenty of warranty. I writ that off after I left the dealership.

We will see videos of ZL1's puking parts on the few that do add boost soon enough.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Let's not get carried away. A ZL1 with those mods and a torque converter went 9.80's.

Tick...tick...tick...tick...

SNAP...CRACKLE...&...POP.........

We aint talking Rice Crispys............

......KABOOM.........

ZL1 puking parts all over the track.

Last edited:

Yellow Horse

Established Member

04nccobra

Established Member
Slower than a 2003 Cobra with a 2.80 pulley, CAI and a tune on ET Streets. I'm real impressed.

I take it this was your Cobra you mentioned above, because I had the very car you mention, 04, pulley, tune, JLT intake the only differance is I ran Toyo DRs and I can assure you it was no where near running 11:40s. Especially with a single pass.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I remember them saying they swapped brakes, but I didn't know they were drag brakes. I also never heard them mentioning removing 3 seats ?

-tapatalk

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Tick...tick...tick...tick...

SNAP...CRACKLE...&...POP.........

We aint talking Rice Crispys............

......KABOOM.........

ZL1 puking parts all over the track.

You underestimate what the LS engine is capable of. It's really not making that much power.

I remember them saying they swapped brakes, but I didn't know they were drag brakes. I also never heard them mentioning removing 3 seats ?

-tapatalk

Yeah lightweight drag brakes. That's why the ZL1 guys were squawking about losing streetability. Yes they pulled the seats.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
drag brakes??where is this coming from??
from what I recall evolution said they put 2012 brakes on the car, since they are smaller and able to fit the wheels they had...thats it

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
drag brakes??where is this coming from??
from what I recall evolution said they put 2012 brakes on the car, since they are smaller and able to fit the wheels they had...thats it

From all the discussion and arguing back and forth they put "lightweight" brakes on the car that saved ~40lbs? Something like that? Putting 2012 brakes on the car isn't going to save that much weight and certainly isn't going to adversely affect drivability/streetability. Maybe I'm wrong but that's the impression I got.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
From all the discussion and arguing back and forth they put "lightweight" brakes on the car that saved ~40lbs? Something like that? Putting 2012 brakes on the car isn't going to save that much weight and certainly isn't going to adversely affect drivability/streetability. Maybe I'm wrong but that's the impression I got.

Im not saying it for sure, because the evo car was mum on the full upgrade list due to the media embargo with 5.0 mag...but from I recall the car was fitted with 2012 brakes just to fit the drag wheel setup...I could be wrong though. But I dont know where the drag, lightweight brake thing came from :shrug:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I'm pretty sure they just used a set of '12 brakes to clear the fronts, because they didn't have their new wheels yet. Not sure about the rears???

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Im not saying it for sure, because the evo car was mum on the full upgrade list due to the media embargo with 5.0 mag...but from I recall the car was fitted with 2012 brakes just to fit the drag wheel setup...I could be wrong though. But I dont know where the drag, lightweight brake thing came from :shrug:

Go look in the thread on here where it was first released that they ran 10's. There's a lot of back and forth in that thread about their mods. They say themselves that the seats are pulled and list the weight of the seats (someone was falsely saying they weighed more than they do). I'm not 100% sure on the front brakes but they're running 15's on the rear and swapped to a much smaller lightweight brake, probably Strange. They say they cut 40lbs off with the brakes, which is not just a swap to '12 brakes. Plus you can't fit 15's on the '12 brakes anyways. They did it because they couldn't fit their existing wheels over the stock brakes, but something will be out for them shortly so people won't have to swap brakes.

I'm not complaining about them swapping them, just stating the facts. Even with the brake swap it's still minimal mods to get the car in the 9's on the stock engine, clutch, and transmission. :rockon:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
yeah im not disputing the removal of seats and such....and at this point its still great to get into the 9's that quickly...im sure others will too while keeping stock stuff on the car...:beer:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
yeah im not disputing the removal of seats and such....and at this point its still great to get into the 9's that quickly...im sure others will too while keeping stock stuff on the car...:beer:

Definitely. I also want to see what people do with the various stages of mods. Basic bolt ons, tires, then with a pulley, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread