"13 GT500 vs ZL1 Track Test Inside Line

Sax1031

Established Member

rwboring

Established Member
A pulley and tune ZL1 will not beat a STOCK GT500. Shelbys have made as much as 615rwhp stock. Being that the ZL1 weighs more id say it would need at least 650rwhp to INSURE a win against a GT500. With ONLY a pulley and tune that aint happenin...

While that might be simple logic you need to consider the gearing, tires, etc. For a given lb/hp and sticky tires (to use that gearing) I think the ZL1 would beat the Shelby.

Also, isn't there something where the ZL1 doesn't lose boost between shifts? So that's huge unless you're power-shifting the GT500.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Maybe you have missed this car. Granted he did have radials, but no pulley change.

Here is a link to the video. With the prototype New Era intake, tune and DR's, our ZL1 ran a 11:4 at 121 last night, only making one attempt

We went 11:4 at 121 with an intake, tune and DR's - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
but that's just one car:shrug: lets wait for a few more data points before making any proclamations based on one run by one car.

U basically just agreed with me.

Stock Shelbys have ran 125+.
yea, i guarantee that those CTS-Vs running low 11s @ 125+ are on tires too, not goodyear supershits. put a good set of radials on the '13 GT500 and you'll be matching the low 11s of those modified CTS-Vs with some practice.

While that might be simple logic you need to consider the gearing, tires, etc. For a given lb/hp and sticky tires (to use that gearing) I think the ZL1 would beat the Shelby.

Also, isn't there something where the ZL1 doesn't lose boost between shifts? So that's huge unless you're power-shifting the GT500.
if we're comparing the two cars, then why wouldn't you be power shifting the GT500? i think it goes without saying that the fastest GT500 numbers will be power shifted, no? and, thus far, none of the electronic nannies on the ZL1 have proven advantageous on the drag strip, all the fastest times i've seen were run with everything off.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
but that's just one car:shrug: lets wait for a few more data points before making any proclamations based on one run by one car.

yea, i guarantee that those CTS-Vs running low 11s @ 125+ are on tires too, not goodyear supershits. put a good set of radials on the '13 GT500 and you'll be matching the low 11s of those modified CTS-Vs with some practice.

if we're comparing the two cars, then why wouldn't you be power shifting the GT500? i think it goes without saying that the fastest GT500 numbers will be power shifted, no? and, thus far, none of the electronic nannies on the ZL1 have proven advantageous on the drag strip, all the fastest times i've seen were run with everything off.

Thanx man!! Well said.

That 11.1@127 GT500 was a 93oct tune and NT05's. Not sure yet if it was the radial or street version. It was something 2500ft DA on a third hot lap. Corrected to a [email protected]1 what??

mrlrd1

Established Member
A pulley and tune ZL1 will not beat a STOCK GT500. Shelbys have made as much as 615rwhp stock. Being that the ZL1 weighs more id say it would need at least 650rwhp to INSURE a win against a GT500. With ONLY a pulley and tune that aint happenin...

Add some Nittos and a CAI to the pulley and tune and it's capable of 11 flat at 130.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Thanx man!! Well said.

That 11.1@127 GT500 was a 93oct tune and NT05's. Not sure yet if it was the radial or street version. It was something 2500ft DA on a third hot lap. Corrected to a [email protected]1 what??
:beer:

looks to me like light weight 18" rear wheels with 18" drag radials - 20" nittos on stock wheels for the GT500
looks like small, lightweight skinnies up front too - big stock 19" wheels on the GT500

i'll be waiting for 11 flat on stock wheels front and rear with 20" nittos, + the aforementioned CAI, pulley, tune.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member

Ghey much??

As the other guys have said the car had more mods than you listed. Skinnies alone from my experience adds around 3mph in trap speed and at least a couple tenths. Then it has a ported and polished intake, not sure exactly what the mean but im assuming the blower? Another mod that net some decent hp.

A GT500 with basically the same mods has gone 9's @ 140+...

No comparison.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I've always said the ZL1 will be faster than the GT500 in the hands of shitty drivers. Edmunds just proved they are shitty drivers.

178 through a kink isn't too bad for a car that can't turn and may fly off the surface at any moment in a parking lot full of cones.

Wanted to give merit to the top quote!:beer::eek:

Superfly99

Stang Freak
Established Member
ZL1 guys still missing the point. All these mods you are talking about doing to the ZL1 is just to keep up with a STOCK '13 GT500. Give the GT500 a pulley/tune/aftermarket CAI and you will still be seeing taillights. ZL1 owners are having to spend a lot of $$$$ just to try to keep up with the GT500. Just a pulley/tune is rather affordable for the GT500 and will still smoke the ZL1 with all your mods you spent big $$$ for.

Unless you still just want to race in a tight circle in a parking lot....you win!!

jonesd

Established Member
ZL1 guys still missing the point. All these mods you are talking about doing to the ZL1 is just to keep up with a STOCK '13 GT500. Give the GT500 a pulley/tune/aftermarket CAI and you will still be seeing taillights. ZL1 owners are having to spend a lot of $$$$ just to try to keep up with the GT500. Just a pulley/tune is rather affordable for the GT500 and will still smoke the ZL1 with all your mods you spent big $$$ for.

Unless you still just want to race in a tight circle in a parking lot....you win!!

Pretty much!

Pulley/tune/cai is what... $750? Hell buy a cobra jet throttle body for $550, Catless offroad Lethal X pipe for $299 and Rear tires for $400. ($2000 mod limit)

For $2000 into the 2013 gt500, i dont think a zl1 would stand a chance unless you pour some big money into it. The set of light weight rear wheels (with tires) and front skinnies (wheels and tires) alone pretty much puts the zl1 out of that budget.

Edit: Hell up my budget to $2500 in case i am off a little on prices. Either way with only $2500 into a 2013 gt500 its very hard to beat without throwing a lot of money at the zl1 it seems.

Last edited:

mrlrd1

Established Member
As the other guys have said the car had more mods than you listed. Skinnies alone from my experience adds around 3mph in trap speed and at least a couple tenths. Then it has a ported and polished intake, not sure exactly what the mean but im assuming the blower? Another mod that net some decent hp.

Lighter front wheels don't give you 3mph :lol1: Intake manifold and supercharger were left stock. It had a cold air intake only.

A GT500 with basically the same mods has gone 9's @ 140+...

Didn't that car require gears, full exhaust, and weight reduction?

Users who are viewing this thread