'14 GT500 install on Cobra

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I would look into a bigger pump.. Maybe a 55gpm pump or something.. That's a big exchanger!

YGETV8

Established Member
Guess I didn't mention that I already had a Jabsco installed. :) I also boxed in the bottom of the radiator/HE area. With the bumper on it looks just like any other Redfire Cobra. Lol.

racebronco2

Established Member
Anytime you increase the surface area it will reduce the ait2's. Below is a video from last week. Temps were as high as 80* and ait2's were around 135*. Engine temps were 195* at 17psi. Waiting for a light in traffic my ait2's go up about 20*, they drop about 10-12 degrees before i get past the intersection. That was with the Meizere pump with i have now added a boost a pump to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z714bpXagGw

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
Seems the nominal drop is because you still only have the OE front lower opening size being blasted with ambient air. The rest of it is blocked by the bumper cover rendering it inefficient compared to that in the opening.

YGETV8

Established Member
I'm far from an engineer, but I'm guessing that once moving there is more than enough air coming through. Just as ram air set ups don't need an opening with the same square area as the air cleaner to be effective. Maybe I'm wrong? As stated, I notched out the foam support and boxed in the bottom area for more exposed HE face and airflow control. It was already a modified system so the change may have been greater had I gone to this from stock.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
I'm far from an engineer, but I'm guessing that once moving there is more than enough air coming through. Just as ram air set ups don't need an opening with the same square area as the air cleaner to be effective. Maybe I'm wrong? As stated, I notched out the foam support and boxed in the bottom area for more exposed HE face and airflow control. It was already a modified system so the change may have been greater had I gone to this from stock.

Your basically distributing the same volume of air over a greater surface area. It will still improve the cooling. Then you look at the volume ratio between the intercooler and the HE which in your case is like 10:1. Like I stated, the closer the coolant gets to ambient the harder it will be to shed heat. If you doubled the cooling capacity over what you have now you would be lucky to see a 1 degree drop in temp. I think you can "call it a day" with regard to your intercooler system :rockon:

racebronco2

Established Member

The true test will be wot runs back to back.

Users who are viewing this thread