$145 Axle Backs!! *pics*

N8dogg

Silver...
Established Member
So I just cannot see paying $400-800 for a set of mufflers! I had a couple 180* 2 1/2" bends left over from my last turbo build so i decided to build a set of axle backs for my Shelby:banana:

Like I said I had a U-bend left over so I didn't have to buy one, I took it to a local muffler shop and had each end expanded before I started so it would slip over the stock exhaust tubing. I then ordered a set of Flowmaster single chamber knock offs from ebay, I used a set on my Camaro SS and loved the sound so I thought for the price and quality I remembered why not try them out.
The PAIR of mufflers on ebay were $49.99 plus 14 bucks to ship.. I bought a 4" stick of 3/8" round stock from Lowes to make the hangers, ($5) and two feet of 3 1/2" Stainless steel tubing to make the tips (i polished after cutting) from Columbia River mandrel bending for $14/ft. plus 10 bucks for shipping.. I also picked up a set of stainless u-bolt style exhaust clamps from autozone and i had some black high temp paint already. I have a small wire feed welder as well as a large tig welder and a few other fabricating tools so i cut, fit and welded up a very nice set so axle backs for a LOT less than any other set out there. Not knocking any of them just cannot see spending that kind of $$ on something that does nothing but sound. Ill post a sound clip tomorrow when there is some day light.

Heres a price break down..
Mufflers- 63.99 shipped Super flow 1 Chamber muffler Race 2.5" free flowing : eBay Motors (item 190372293555 end time Feb-20-10 16:25:14 PST)
180* Bend $24 shipped (i think shipping was like $10) 2.50" Mild Steel, 3.75" Radius, 180 Degree Mandrel Bend Columbia River Mandrel Bending
2' of 3.50 $40 shipped 3.50" OD, 16 Gauge, 304 Stainless Straight Tube Columbia River Mandrel Bending
3/8" round stock from Lowes $5
2 Exhaust clamps from autozone $13

I could have built them entirely out of stainless but we dont have a lot of moisture here in the desert and when it snows they dont put road salt so rust isn't a big issue, also i would have been about twice the price. The paint will keep it from rusting any ways... Enjoy..

Heres some pics, vid will come shortly
shelby001.jpg

shelby002.jpg

shelby003.jpg

shelby004.jpg

shelby005.jpg

shelby006.jpg

shelby007.jpg

[ame=http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i45/n8dogg22/?action=view&current=MOV01396.flv]
th_MOV01396.jpg
[/ame]

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Nice work! Yeah, axlebacks are overpriced IMO. I'm going to try an O/R X-pipe and see if I like that sound. Roughly $200 and maybe 10-15 HP too.

cobra1718

Established Member
no offense but if you are worried about cost of an axleback why not just leave the stock one on?

N8dogg

Silver...
Established Member
no offense but if you are worried about cost of an axleback why not just leave the stock one on?

Come on now, everyone on here knows the stock mufflers are weak at best. My only reason for wanting to change them was for the sound that this car deserves. I have the ability to make my own stuff at a fraction of the cost so my question to you is.... Why not change the stock ones?

My rear axle was painted when the true track and 3.73 gears were installed

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
I used those 1 Chamber Race mufflers back in the early 90's with my 5.0 Mustang! Your car is going to sound GREAT!

Dave

chuckstang

Established Member
Thats great job but LMAO

You could have spent that same amount on new SLP axle backs and the sound is the best for these cars (if you have stock cats and headers)

But that is cool because now you have something unique so props to ya but could have saved you a lot of time!

superman112

Established Member
Thats great job but LMAO

You could have spent that same amount on new SLP axle backs and the sound is the best for these cars (if you have stock cats and headers)

But that is cool because now you have something unique so props to ya but could have saved you a lot of time!

umm I thought SLP's where like $300???

N8dogg

Silver...
Established Member
Thats great job but LMAO

I'd love to see where I can get SLPs for 145 bucks..

cobra1718

Established Member
Come on now, everyone on here knows the stock mufflers are weak at best. My only reason for wanting to change them was for the sound that this car deserves. I have the ability to make my own stuff at a fraction of the cost so my question to you is.... Why not change the stock ones?

My rear axle was painted when the true track and 3.73 gears were installed

your right man. I will say though that they look like they where made by a professional:beer:

jtn83

Established Member
Love the black paint!!! I was gonna paint my KR's black (except for the tips) before I put them on, but my excitement to install them out weighed my patience... Your look really good though!

Users who are viewing this thread