'15 GT PP vs. 1LE driven by Randy Pobst

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I am sure that with better tires dampers and antiroll bars the car will be just as quick or faster than the 1le. And when I say better I say better for the track. Which 95 percent of buyers won't ever see and would hate the ride of a track oriented setup.

Voltwings

Established Member
To be fair, better tires, dampeners, and roll bars are what make the 1LE better than the 5.0, so... yeah :dancenana:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I don't know what makes it better other than that... Both chassis are very stiff. The motors make similar power. Different powerband but very close in power. The coyote makes a bit less peak torque but it's lighter as well. I don't know what else makes it better to be quite honest. In my opinion the people buying either a mustang or camaro won't change opinions because of the 1me being faster or the gt being lighter. What worse than the sea and look at how many gt are on the road.

kevm14

On the tire discussion, you guys may find this interesting: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1409_on_chevrolet_camaro_do_the_tires_make_the_car/

Summary:

1LE picked up 2mph and 2 tenths in the 1/4 on the Z28 wheels/tires, and I'll suggest that traction plus lower rotating inertia (19s) is the reason. Confusingly, the Z28 on the 1LE's tires did not slow down. It actually got faster, but not nearly as much.

Braking went as you'd expect. Stickier tires stop better, always.

On the skidpad, the 1LE improved on the Z28 tires (by 0.03G, to 1.05G). On 1LE tires, the Z28 still pulled 0.02G more than the 1LE did on its own tires. The takeaway is, the better the chassis is dialed in, the difference tires make on the skidpad decreases. Kind of interesting.

In the figure-8, the 1LE actually did slightly worse on Z28 tires/wheels. The Z28 was 0.5s slower on the 1LE's tires, but with the same average grip.

What's going on here? Test driver Kim Reynolds has an answer. In stock form, Kim says, the 1LE is razor-sharp. With the Z/28's tires, it just felt mushy. The precision was gone, and for no measureable gain. Conversely, Kim says the stock Z/28 is predictable and balanced. On the 1LE's tires, it became much less predictable and much more prone to oversteer. Given there was no change in average cornering g, it's reasonable to conclude that the Z/28's diminished performance is the result of its inability to stop as quickly (despite having significantly larger brakes) or put the power down as effectively. True, the Z/28 does have a power advantage over the 1LE, but in the space of less than 500 feet, 79 hp and 61 lb-ft don't make a lot of difference (and despite what you may think, our scales say the Z/28's weight advantage over the 1LE is just 35 pounds).

From this test, we can conclude that the Z/28's advantage is not simply a better set of tires. Mounting the Z/28's wheels and tires to a Camaro 1LE did not allow the 1LE to meet or exceed the performance of the stock Z/28. In fact, in half of our tests, the 1LE fitted with Z/28 tires failed to outperform the Z/28 fitted with 1LE tires, much less the stock Z/28. Tires, then, are not the be-all, end-all of handling. They are part of the equation, and improving the tires can improve performance. However, the tire must also work with the suspension, the brakes, the steering, and the chassis. Handling is holistic, and many variables are involved. Spring rates, shock rates (both compression and rebound), anti-roll bar stiffness, bushing stiffness, suspension geometry, alignment, chassis stiffness, and more can all affect how well a car handles

Too bad there were no lap times comparisons. Still, interesting article.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
There are plenty of videos of the test mule on the street and at the Nurburgring. The exhaust is clearly the sound of a flat plane crank engine. It may end up not happening, but they're certainly trying to make it work.

Maybe that unique sound isn't the product of a V8 at all?

13 RaceRed 5.0

Established Member
EARTH TO PEOPLE:

The fact that a new Mustang GT PP lost to a 1LE by 1.51 sec on a 1.55 mile race track is completely & totally irrelevant to more than 99% of all Mustang buyers.

That is reality talking.

The majority of Mustang vs. Camaro races will take place where they always have ... from one stop light to the next.

And in that realm, the GT barely squeaks out an advantage (but just barely).

This is similar to the debate of what SUV handles the best in off-road situations, when most of them never get anywhere near dirt.

Don't let marketing hype distort your intellect.

darreng505

Established Member
1.5 seconds on a 1.5 mile track is a pretty big defeat. This discussion isn't really about the people that don't care about performance it's about those of us who do.

The Mustang vs. Camaro battle is as old as the cars themselves. It's about brand loyalty. When a brand is posted on cover after cover as being last (yes, 2nd is last) you're gonna sell less cars. It's bad press for Ford from any angle.

Every mustang loyalist was hoping for more from a new-gen car with performance as a goal.

Timeless

TK-421
Established Member
1.5 seconds on a 1.5 mile track is a pretty big defeat. This discussion isn't really about the people that don't care about performance it's about those of us who do.

The Mustang vs. Camaro battle is as old as the cars themselves. It's about brand loyalty. When a brand is posted on cover after cover as being last (yes, 2nd is last) you're gonna sell less cars. It's bad press for Ford from any angle.

Every mustang loyalist was hoping for more from a new-gen car with performance as a goal.

While I will agree that Ford should have had a 'track pack' option for about the same price as the 1LE option that beat it, this is just the initial release of the platform and the new IRS. Fact is the 1LE is quite a bit more expensive than the 'Performance Pack' which does give someone the ability to use the aftermarket to make up the difference.

Maybe Ford will offer this during the build 2 phase or possible the next year model.

Could also be they are waiting on the new Camaro before finalizing the above mentioned items.

gq916

Established Member
:loser:
EARTH TO PEOPLE:

The fact that a new Mustang GT PP lost to a 1LE by 1.51 sec on a 1.55 mile race track is completely & totally irrelevant to more than 99% of all Mustang buyers.

That is reality talking.

The majority of Mustang vs. Camaro races will take place where they always have ... from one stop light to the next.

And in that realm, the GT barely squeaks out an advantage (but just barely).

This is similar to the debate of what SUV handles the best in off-road situations, when most of them never get anywhere near dirt.

Don't let marketing hype distort your intellect.

darreng505

Established Member
I doubt they're waiting on the new camaro. They already said they're not competing with it and have different targets for this generation mustang anyway.

On top of that if they haven't done all their design work and testing by now they're even farther behind.

BaylorCamaro

Established Member
I doubt they're waiting on the new camaro. They already said they're not competing with it and have different targets for this generation mustang anyway.

On top of that if they haven't done all their design work and testing by now they're even farther behind.

Saying that is one thing, but reality is completely different. Yes the Mustang is going global and yes it is going to be competing with more European cars than it ever has before. However most consumers are not going to be cross shopping a Mustang with an M3 or a Porsche as suggested by Ford. The fit and finish on BMW's & Porsche's is far superior and rightfully so given the price point. The Mustang's natural competitor is and always will be cars in the Pony segment, i.e. Camaro and Challenger. If this new generation Mustang cannot take down an out going Camaro on a dated (Holden) chassis what could possibly make Ford think that BMW & Porsche are going to be achievable targets. It is because of this that I suspect there is more to the current Mustang than what has been released for 2015, and I'm not just talking a GT350 or GT500.

darreng505

Established Member
Sure. But all I said was Ford isn't waiting for the new camaro. And they're not. I never said I agreed with their new stance. I think it's a mistake personally for many of the reasons you pointed out. :)

No buyer will ever be thinking: hmmmm. 911, M3 or Mustang. Decisions. Decisions...lol

Last edited:

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
There are actually quite a few people making their first American "sports car" a 2015 Mustang. I've seen multiple posts in other forums about German car owners crossing over because they like the 2015.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Saying that is one thing, but reality is completely different. Yes the Mustang is going global and yes it is going to be competing with more European cars than it ever has before. However most consumers are not going to be cross shopping a Mustang with an M3 or a Porsche as suggested by Ford. The fit and finish on BMW's & Porsche's is far superior and rightfully so given the price point. The Mustang's natural competitor is and always will be cars in the Pony segment, i.e. Camaro and Challenger. If this new generation Mustang cannot take down an out going Camaro on a dated (Holden) chassis what could possibly make Ford think that BMW & Porsche are going to be achievable targets. It is because of this that I suspect there is more to the current Mustang than what has been released for 2015, and I'm not just talking a GT350 or GT500.
well the boss 302 took on the m3 with a prehistoric s197 chassis.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
The 1LE will out perform what may be considered comparable BMWs and Porsches. So, saying the Mustang will lose to them because it lost to the 1LE isn't necessarily true.

Voltwings

Established Member
Someone find a head to head of the old m3 vs the new one... That right there would give us a good idea of where the mustang sits.

BaylorCamaro

Established Member
Someone find a head to head of the old m3 vs the new one... That right there would give us a good idea of where the mustang sits.

Well the new M4 (coupe, old coupe was an M3) did Laguna Seca in 1:39.69, ZL1 1:39.18, GT500 1:38.70, Z/28 1:38.82. It appears the old M3 (2007) ran 1:42.96. The Mustang Boss 302 LS did 1:39.50 and the non LS did it in 1:41.06
LINK

So if the 2015 Mustang GT is faster than the Boss 302 LS (which I find highly suspect) then it would be faster than the new M4.

At VIR the fastest recorded lap time for the following Cars is as follows:
ZL1 2:52.38
1LE 2:58.34
SS 3:09.50 (this was a 2010 Camaro on the FE3 suspension, before GM revised all Camaro's to ride on FE4 in 2012)

GT500 2:58.48
Boss 302 LS 3:02.80
Mustang GT 3:08.60

BMW M3 (2007) 3:05.40

LINK

Users who are viewing this thread