'16 GT350 parts that will retrofit to any '07-'12...

DaFreak

Established Member
coming up on 2yrs since you started a post like this Tob! Can you help us again?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
IRS is a direct swap :)
Waiting for Tob to figure out these retrofits, especially those huge front brakes.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
IRS is a direct swap :)
Waiting for Tob to figure out these retrofits, especially those huge front brakes.
-J

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Jeff, at this point Ford has shared very little, let alone technical data. As soon as I find something that I'm allowed to share I'll gladly post it up.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I've spoken with Kelly at BMR about this, Tom Wenstrom, who crews for Dean Martin at Rehagen Racing (and recently had a close look at both the '15 IRS/cradle vs a solid axle) as well as the CEO of Maximum Motorsports. Obviously, it can be done. The question is "at what cost?"

Right off the bat:

- The S550 IRS assembly (disregard the cradle for a moment) is wider than the axle assembly on an S197 car.
- The spring pocket in the S550 rear aluminum arms don't line up with the S197 chassis pocket.
- The shock absorber mounts on the S550 chassis have a different center to center distance than the S197 chassis.
- The fuel tanks on the S550 are configured differently than those of the S197 cars and as such a retrofit attempt may have an interference issue.
- Chassis rails are configured differently between the S197 and the S550, ensuring the a cradle retrofit won't be a simple bolt-on.

There are other issues that could be overcome but the above are what I see from simple photographs.

That said:

- The cradle attaches to the framerails via brackets/bolts/etc. My Spidey sense is that the subframe could be made to fit, placing the IRS "pumpkin" in the same spot that it resided with on an S197 with a solid axle.
- Shorter half-shafts could be employed, along with custom arms as well as shock/spring locations and coilovers, to fit the S550 assembly on a S197 car.

It is easy to naysay this potential mod and let it go without giving it serious consideration. I'm more interested in focusing on solutions while also addressing cost. I'm well aware that any performance gains would be far outweighed by the corresponding cost to do it. I'd still like to see this done as badly as anyone out there.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I've spoken with Kelly at BMR about this, Tom Wenstrom, who crews for Dean Martin at Rehagen Racing (and recently had a close look at both the '15 IRS/cradle vs a solid axle) as well as the CEO of Maximum Motorsports. Obviously, it can be done. The question is "at what cost?"

Right off the bat:

- The S550 IRS assembly (disregard the cradle for a moment) is wider than the axle assembly on an S197 car.
- The spring pocket in the S550 rear aluminum arms don't line up with the S197 chassis pocket.
- The shock absorber mounts on the S550 chassis have a different center to center distance than the S197 chassis.
- The fuel tanks on the S550 are configured differently than those of the S197 cars and as such a retrofit attempt may have an interference issue.
- Chassis rails are configured differently between the S197 and the S550, ensuring the a cradle retrofit won't be a simple bolt-on.

There are other issues that could be overcome but the above are what I see from simple photographs.

That said:

- The cradle attaches to the framerails via brackets/bolts/etc. My Spidey sense is that the subframe could be made to fit, placing the IRS "pumpkin" in the same spot that it resided with on an S197 with a solid axle.
- Shorter half-shafts could be employed, along with custom arms as well as shock/spring locations and coilovers, to fit the S550 assembly on a S197 car.

It is easy to naysay this potential mod and let it go without giving it serious consideration. I'm more interested in focusing on solutions while also addressing cost. I'm well aware that any performance gains would be far outweighed by the corresponding cost to do it. I'd still like to see this done as badly as anyone out there.

Let us know when you will start this project because i want to follow after.

Users who are viewing this thread