'16 Shelby GT350 Tech Package at Watkins Glen International

Tinstar36

2010 Blue/Silver GT 500
Established Member
Spirited driving is spirited driving on any surface, my 13 gt would try to over heat in only 15 mins at Hallett but I know the signs and pit before limp mode or failure happens

I am not saying that it applies to any of these beautiful gt350s that are in a different class (as there was one that lapped me twice in my short sessions.)

tinstar36

jtfx6552

Established Member
Cool video! I'll be at the Glen May 8 and 9. Curious how your videoing? Was that a GoPro, or a phone? What kind of mount?

What group were you running with? Looks like a neat group of cars.

Did you change the brake fluid before you went?

Crashspeeder

Established Member
I borrowed my friend's GoPro Hero3 and the suction cup mount. I was running in group A with a coach. And no, I didn't change my brake fluid but I should have. The pedal got a bit spongy towards the end of the second day. I believe that was the brake fluid breaking down, because I still had plenty of pad left and the stopping power was still there.

Crashspeeder

Established Member
Sorry, I meant who put on the track event? I liked your line. Have you been on track before?
Ah, gotcha. I misunderstood. I went with Hooked On Driving (hookedondriving.com). I had only been to the track once before, also at Watkins Glen, two and a half years ago. This time I did a two day event and it made all the difference.

It's funny you should mention my line because there was a C6 Z06 that was following me at one point because apparently his coach told him not to pass me, even though he could have with all that power. He was having trouble with his corner exits, to the point where I was able to pull away from him. We talked and compared notes, and he started rounding the track much more quickly. I credit my coach last time I went for showing me the proper line there. My coach this time simply held my feet to the fire for inconsistent laps. I also learned a lot from going with him for one of his track sessions. Granted, he had race brakes and slicks, but he showed me what a great driver can do.

I'm hoping to eventually get more track time, but this year will be rough financially due to a bunch of weddings, having to install the transmission cooling, and some repairs on my second car. I'd like to get one more track day in this year, if possible.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I've not heard one owner say theirs overheated in the street. Just a bunch of people want free coolers say it's possible to overheat in the street.

Nick asked one complainer like 10 times if his ever overheated in the street. The owner would never answer. Imagine that....
Not to turn this into a generic overheating GT350 tech thread, but you have to driving very recklessly to pull that off on a public road.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Why is being on track and keeping the revs above 6k any different from canyon carving and keeping the revs above 6k turn after turn? Your view is incredibly cynical. I've experienced this firsthand on the track in cold weather. It is, in my opinion, certainly possible that this could happen on a mountain road that keeps the driver in second gear at high RPM for ~20 minutes, especially if the weather is anywhere above freezing.

As for your anecdotal evidence, it's inconsequential. A sample size of one is statistically insignificant. Anecdotal evidence is no evidence at all. Regardless of that one user's answer, I have video after video of my car cutting power after sustained high RPMs. Do you honestly believe the car knows the difference between a track and a mountain road and simply won't overheat on a mountain road? Certainly not.

I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not.
To purchase the electronics package on the R cost 3k.
To purchase the electronics on a 17+ GT350 it costs 3k.
Meaning the purchasing both the track coolers on any electronics pack optioned 15+ GT350 will set you back 3k.

Now people within the class action wanted to purchase their GT350 with electronics pack and coolers for 3k less than everyone does. Hence why I say they want the coolers for free when others have paid 3k more than they did.

Yes you could keep the GT350 above 6k rpm for 20 min straight on the street, but most people don't. Why?
Traffic, foot bikes and cars/trucks. Risk, you have one car lane of risk intestead of 2 or 3 onthe track. If your tires start to slide you have maybe 5ft before your in the other lane. If you turn in too early and hit the shoulder or dip or mountain or rock because you were a .2 early on turn in. It's a lot different than hitting or overshooting the rumble strips.
I also slow down for dirt or wet scattered on the road and blind turns one just does not understand what could be on the other side. If you make a mistake on the road you kill your car at best you kill animals or people at worst. On the track you spin or roll your car at worst. Completely different set of risks which is why you don't see high rpm driving with no breaks on the street.

Crashspeeder

Established Member
I think you're missing the fact that you literally could not option a car with the Technology Package and the Track Package in 2015 and 2016. Nobody wanted anything for free.

As for mountain driving, I think you're thinking exclusively of the area you're in. About two hours from me I could drive in the mountains of PA without seeing another car for quite some time. Also, speed limits are not 25, but sometimes 55.

These conditions don't apply everywhere, but it isn't impossible or irresponsible in all cases.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Cool video... I'm scheduled for e tra k days over the next 2 months. I'll keep the gear selection in mind if I don't get a trans cooler before I go.

I was at Heartland Park yesterday and there was a 2016 Tech car there. He just installed the cooler last week, and it ran flawlessly all day.

Any chance he mention what cooler he is using? With the exception of the scoop Shelby sells, all the units I have seen are homebrew.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I think you're missing the fact that you literally could not option a car with the Technology Package and the Track Package in 2015 and 2016. Nobody wanted anything for free.

As for mountain driving, I think you're thinking exclusively of the area you're in. About two hours from me I could drive in the mountains of PA without seeing another car for quite some time. Also, speed limits are not 25, but sometimes 55.

These conditions don't apply everywhere, but it isn't impossible or irresponsible in all cases.

They do want something for free.

Ford is selling the coolers for the tech pack currently for 3100. But this is not good enough.

They want the coolers purchased and installed for free.

Crashspeeder

Established Member
They do want something for free.

Ford is selling the coolers for the tech pack currently for 3100. But this is not good enough.

They want the coolers purchased and installed for free.
I don't know where you're getting that from. The kit is $695 and the kit is meant to work with the GT350R transmission, which is $4000. That's the official fix from Ford. That's without labor. That is in no way equivalent to the cost of the Tech Package, especially since installing this kit doesn't equal the actual Track Package since it would still be missing the spoiler and differential cooler.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I don't know where you're getting that from. The kit is $695 and the kit is meant to work with the GT350R transmission, which is $4000. That's the official fix from Ford. That's without labor. That is in no way equivalent to the cost of the Tech Package, especially since installing this kit doesn't equal the actual Track Package since it would still be missing the spoiler and differential cooler.

$3195 to a members door.
https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...rmance-track-r-cooling-kit-delivered.1130990/

If you purchased a 16 tech you would need to add this for the track coolers. If you purchased a 16 track and waned to add screen and stereo it costs 3k as well.

Crashspeeder

Established Member
$3195 to a members door.
https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...rmance-track-r-cooling-kit-delivered.1130990/

If you purchased a 16 tech you would need to add this for the track coolers. If you purchased a 16 track and waned to add screen and stereo it costs 3k as well.
Didn't include the spoiler or diff cooler. Not equivalent, and still requires installation, which is not free.

Honestly, I don't want to have this argument. This is getting ridiculous. Everybody is blaming tbe consumer because we "should have known better". That's bullshit and I didn't start this thread to discuss that. I went to the track. I had fun. I look forward to installing transmission cooling and being able to use the car's full power for the entire session next time.

eagle eye

Established Member
Nice video Crashspeeder.
I've done a number of track events at the Glen and loved every minute of it. Track events in the rain however can be very challenging but if you ever get a chance, try it. It will really test your skills.

Just curios, what did Hookedondriving charge you for the 2 day event?

Users who are viewing this thread