17 PSI Whipple #'s With Accel Coils

Vmnous285

Established Member
Well I took my car to Modular Depot last friday for a pulley and BAP install. We put the car on the Dyno and this is what we found. Not only are my coils breaking down my new Clutch is freaking slipping :fm:. The clutch is about 1,000 miles old, but I was easy on it the whole 1,000 miles. I hope it's just not broken in all the way? I am kinda stuck on going with Weapon X or stock coil's.:shrug:

Dyno sheet:(blue 14.5 psi)
DSC00418.jpg

DSC00419.jpg

DSC00420.jpg

Clutch (blue was from last year)
DSC00422.jpg

I called spec and they said that maybe i need to break in the clutch some more because it did get better with every pull.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Accel makes a lot of junk. Do yourself a favor and put in some stock coils, they are more than capable of supporting BIG hp.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
If it's a 3+ try getting a Steeda cable and see if that helps. I went through all kinds of trouble with my 3+. Went with a Steeda and it really hasn't acted up since. Stock one was getting hot or something and wasn't letting the clutch engage all the way correctly. Went through 2 or 3 new ones before going with the Steeda. Like I said it easily helped a bunch.

Vmnous285

Established Member
If it's a 3+ try getting a Steeda cable and see if that helps. I went through all kinds of trouble with my 3+. Went with a Steeda and it really hasn't acted up since. Stock one was getting hot or something and wasn't letting the clutch engage all the way correctly. Went through 2 or 3 new ones before going with the Steeda. Like I said it easily helped a bunch.

Thanks I will have to try that. I just ordered a tripple hook to take some of the slack out of my cable.

Knoxville COBRA

Established Member
When i bought my car last May it had Granatelli coils($400 junk) on it and after about two months it started running like crap,It would fall on its face as soon as i got into boost.So i went to Amazon to get it tunned and after re-gapping the plugs and dropping the tank and checking the pump (still ran like crap) Rick installed the stock coils and it ran great.Rick said the stock coils work the best in our cars.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Granatelli's coils I believe are made in Louisville. That's funny there because there aint no performance shops around me. At least not known for that.

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
+1 stock coils

Your numbers aren't too bad, yes there is some break up over 6k rpms, but try the coils first, may not be a clutch issue, but your tuner should let you know what the issue is, it probably isn't both.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
I know mine is not a coby, but I bought the msd coil packs, and then car ran good for about a month, after that it would break up up top, on hard accel it would just fall on its face. I went back to stock and it rans 1000x's better. I think with coil packs and coils stock is the best way to go

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Are you sure that it is not spark blow out? Where are you gaped. Eliminate the cheap fixes first.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread