179 mile 93 on ebay

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
what planet are you from comparing a 93 vette to a 93 cobra? As far as investment, making 10k over the course of 15 years is not good investment strategy. If he were to keep it for another 10-15 years it will prolly fetch alot more but still its not worth riding it thinkin your gonna hit a gold mine. You must be a young guy

The key is "when to buy". I have never seen "buying new" and holding onto for an investment work out, BUT, on the other hand, if you buy nice prestine examples when the car has hit bottom, money can be made. The question is, "when to buy"?

There is always a following for performance/collector cars, but there is no magic, the collectibles that are late model do not stay at their original MSRP selling price and climb from there, they all drop, most for a long time, some for not so long. The only way to "buy at the right time" is to know the current market and watch it closely, and judge what you know to be true from past specialty cars, it is still a gamble, but so is the stock market. I would guess that if this 179 mile Cobra would have changed hands 5 or so years ago, the person who would have bought at that time would make far more of a return in a much shorter time, than the 14 year owner who bought it new. The key is, don't buy "new" and expect a big return in relation to the time held.

This same thing has happened to the 93R market. People who paid $26K or so in 1993, can sell for approx. $60K-$70K right now, for a ultra low mile example, but they have held the car for 14 years.................On the other hand ultra low mile 93R's could have been bought in 2003 for approx. that same $$$, maybe a little more, lets say $30K-$32K, and now sell for $60K-$70K. Who made the better "investment" choice. Making $30K+ on a 4+ year $30K initial investment is great, especially when you are talking about cars!! Now the question is, will the car continue its sharp upward climb? or will it flatten? As with anything investment worthy, timing is everything.

It is also nice when the car is climbing fast enough where you can "use" it a little bit and not degrade the current selling value.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Thats just beyond stupid money that 8k mile Coupe is bringing ($27k +)

This same car was on ebay last summer and sold in the teens. I believe the current seller also had the 59 mile 93R listed last week that fetched $70k before he yanked the auction.

Another key indicator in the car market...........who is buying? At some point the guys (generation) who grew up with these cars are going to be looking to buy. I have a feeling that time has arrived, maybe?

When buying the car of your dreams, in relation to all of the other examples for sale out there, it is hard to beat "new". How much did that ultra low mile red 93 5.0L LX bring on eBay a year or so ago? $19K or something? It appears that something has changed over the last year or so in the FOX world......

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I agree.
On the same token I think it is stupid to pay that same amount for a 93 cobra too

And the Cobra has a few more days to go..............

I'll bet that a person who originally owned a 69 or 70 BOSS429, I don't remember exactly what they were new, probably $5K-$6.5K, also thinks it's stupid for those cars to be selling for $200K+.<<And very few, if any of these are "as-new", ultra low mile examples. The generation who grew up with these cars are willing to pay stupid money to own their dream car. It's crazy!!

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I'd rather have the coupe. Low mile Cobras will alway's be for sale. Coupes are few and far between.

I think that is what is driving the price on this coupe, the condition and miles. It does not hurt that it is also a last year FOX 1993, and an SSP on top of that.

R

Speedfreek

Established Member
Yes Coupes in general with this kind of mileage are way more rare than a Cobra with the same mileage. Then add the rarety or it being a SSP coupe with that kind of mileage which is nearly unheard of. If you will notice most of your ultra low mileage SSP cars will be South Carolina HP cars. I know of several of these and they are in the 100 mile or less range. SC ordered quite a few of these and then didn't take delivery of them.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
nice car, but kind of interesting that it went from your starting bid to over 28k in first 8hrs....

asperformance

Banned
THe SSP Option was avaliable to anyone, it was a Package you could Order, not all SSP packages went into service, I had a buddy who ordered a ssp Package on his 93 Coupe, But I am sure there are not that many that where ordered that way. I agree that the Coupes are harder to find, this id why they are bringing good money these days, but the LX hatches are getting just as hard if not harder to find.

Users who are viewing this thread