1911 guys come on in!

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
so iv'e decided that it's time to buy a .45. i have i narrowed down to two conteders based on price and availiblity and i would like your input on the two following models.

1. springfield 1911-a1 in stainless. not many features, but has a better trigger feel-prob around 5lbs, but not sure. g.i. style sights. mag cap is 7+1. $509 cash.

2. taurus 1911b in blue. has more fetures like their tss, and heinie sights. the trigger break seemed pretty heavy, but could be worked in house for a few more $$$. mag cap is 8+1 $499 cash.

i want to stay in $500 range so which one should i get guys? thx-chris

oops, gotta have pics.

PW9151LLarge.gif

H_1911B.gif

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I would go with the Springfield over the Taurus! I would spend the extra $$ and get a Kimber.

ISUPonyBoy

Mr. Bright Side
Established Member
Springer over a Taurus anyday. Take my word for it, I work with, sell and smith guns almost every day. ;)

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I know it's not a 1911 style but I have a HK match .45 (Lara Croft gun in tomb Raider) and it is by far the most accurate handgun out of the box I have seen. I was at a local range and let an officer that was teaching a class on firing to other officers shoot a 10 round mag out of it..... he hit all 10 shots in a 2" group at 50 yards. I'm no expert but I hit the damn middle of the target with this thing on every shot. From that point on I was an HK fan.

03DOHC

Established Member
I had a Springfield 1911 A1 and IMO leaves a lot to be desired out of the box although it still does the job. It is worth doing a few things to it that will make it nicer to shoot, but if you're going to mod it then the price goes up and you might as well look at some other choices.

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
I'm the 4th vote for Kimber...

Mine is the Kimber Custom II model ... traded up for this with my excellent ParaOrdnance P14. The P14 is (or was) the alloy frame version, and was a very accurate pistol with standard .45cal loads @ 800-900fps.

Mind you, this is the BASE model...it just gets sweeter from here.
...and more expensive... :-D

custom.jpg

5.4 speedster

Banned
whats the deal with 1911 lovers??

I have shot tons of guns and I can't stand them for the following reasons:
round capacity
45 ballistics- 800-1000 fps?? come on now there are bb guns that shoot the same fps
too complex-whats the benefit of the beavertail?

To each their own though.

Im a glock owner if anyone can't tell.lol :)
10mm baby

Daz97Roush

TruckSlut
Established Member
i own a Colt .45 Gold Cup (National Match circa 1985) it was my fathers that he bought new in 86'. i would check into the Gold Cups.

p.s. you can usually find some nice gold cups for a few $$$ more.

Last edited:

METHICAL

Established Member
5.4 speedster said:
whats the deal with 1911 lovers??

I have shot tons of guns and I can't stand them for the following reasons:
round capacity
45 ballistics- 800-1000 fps?? come on now there are bb guns that shoot the same fps
too complex-whats the benefit of the beavertail?

To each their own though.

Im a glock owner if anyone can't tell.lol :)
10mm baby

There are double stack 1911's, just as there are single stack GLOCKs with measly 6 shot magazines. How much does a air gun projectile weigh? Not quite as much as a .45 bullet, so, bad comparison. How's a beavertail add to the complexity of a gun? How would any of your assertions lead one to know you're a GLOCK owner?

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Add another vote to skip the Taurus. Springfield or Kimber all the way... I'd say Springfield unless you find an older Kimber without the external extractor (They changed to external a while back and I've heard nothing but complaints about stovepipes and the like from the extractor failing.)

5.4, the 1911 is just a really comfortable gun for some people, and it's just about as customizable as any gun can be.

I'm an H&K man myself.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Kimber is well worth the extra money, in terms of both quality and resale value. Be prepared to put 200 - 500 rounds through a new Kimber to "break it in", as it's built to pretty close tolerances. I have several, and they are close in accuracy to my $3,000+ race guns.

5.4 speedster

Banned
well most glock owners like their guns due to the only safety being your finger on or off the trigger.

Yes bb''s are much much lighter than 45's. That being said, when comparing balistics to some of the other rounds out there, .357 sig, .40, 10mm. the .45 isn't even close in terms of performance.

Yes I am aware that there are double stack .45's. Which makes me wonder why anyone in this day in age would select a semi auto with such a small shot capacity?

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
5.4 speedster said:
well most glock owners like their guns due to the only safety being your finger on or off the trigger.

Yes bb''s are much much lighter than 45's. That being said, when comparing balistics to some of the other rounds out there, .357 sig, .40, 10mm. the .45 isn't even close in terms of performance.

Yes I am aware that there are double stack .45's. Which makes me wonder why anyone in this day in age would select a semi auto with such a small shot capacity?

My first pistol was a Glock...nice pistol, but not for me. I would keep a deathgrip on the damn thing, and it would still give me erratic shot placement ... something about the flexibility of the frame and the torque shift in my hand...so I went to a heavier pistol & a slower round.

Why would anyone select a single-stack semi-auto?
Some of us are able to hit what we aim at with fewer shots ... it is called marksmanship, not wasting cartridges.

If I want firepower, I carry an AKS-47 and the four 30-round magazines to go with it ...my CPA carry permit is good until a SOFA is negotiated with a stable Iraqi government. The sidearm I actually carry is either a 9mm Browning Hi Power, or a 9mm SIG ... but I like my .45 ....just preference.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
believe me guys, i really like the kimbers too, but there's no way i can afford one. i'm really stretching it on the 500 limit as it is. so i figured that the two above were my best choices for that kind of money. everyone is saying to stay way from the taurus, but can i get some reasons why? i've heard that their quality control has come along way lately and that they also have lifetime warrenty. that was one reason for considering them.
anyone tell me anything about charles daleys?
thanks for all the input so far.

Users who are viewing this thread