1966 Corvette restoration commences

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I figured that would be your choice, since you stated you were doing a full restoration. A massaged base 327 (300hp) will match or exceed the L79 version.

The high overdrive 4th gear is going to be a God-send with the 4.11 rear.

Exactly. I will have great gearing for acceleration, but the engine can lope along for freeway use. This thing will only see weekend/great weather duty.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
A properly done 327 is a respectable power plant. I had one in the 90's and it would spin up to 6800 rpm's.
What was the original color?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Exactly. I will have great gearing for acceleration, but the engine can lope along for freeway use. This thing will only see weekend/great weather duty.
upload_2021-2-18_12-42-3.png

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
17CBFD8E-5EE8-4010-9693-666F64A2E646.jpeg

Ookay, she’s back in my garage for a short while, then she’ll go up north to be soda blasted. Lots of cancer in the front window frame area. Other than that, the body needs lots of TLC before paint.

Frame is being sand-blasted and powder coated, and will be delivered to my house as a rolling chassis. Engine tear down begins this week. Awaiting swatches of interior color, likely dark red or maroon which will be a nice contrast to the Silver Birch exterior paint. I’m $25K in at this point.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Wonder if this is a Dow-Smith body as this was the first of only 2 times some Vette bodies was made outside of GM the other time was the 87-91 Callaway vettes and a few others that was made until the C-7's with their Callaway aero kits

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, update from my engine builder, and not good news.
61F798FB-368D-4F93-9F92-75909FECAB0D.jpeg
A16D2E8C-5516-498E-BA77-582CB2FAFFD0.jpeg

Two cylinders have corrosion from water intrusion, and one of the heads has excessive pitting. Remaining head and the block magna-fluxed fine, so I guess that’s a silver lining. Cylinders are currently at .040 over, but will be bored to .060 over with 2 sleeves which gives me about 347ci of displacement. Stock crank was cast, so steel one will be substituted. H-beam rods, lighter pistons, double roller chain, roller cam (will be hotter than stock, but streetable).

Holley EFI system is a work of art and pricey. I’m installing a big block hood, and under hood clearance is a concern, so we’ll probably go with the standard deck height for manifold selection. Headers, which are specific to mate with the side-pipes will be sent to the engine builder (Schulz Automotive) and after assembly, the engine will be broken-in and dyno’d-tuned by Kelly Moss Racing. This work has a price tag of about $14K which, after the restorer ordered $43K of parts AFTER I’d already given him $25K, places me at $82K thus far. At this point, I’ll never retire....

Attachments

• AC7127E4-9101-43FF-9E76-10DC49EE66BB.jpeg
    AC7127E4-9101-43FF-9E76-10DC49EE66BB.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Wonder if this is a Dow-Smith body as this was the first of only 2 times some Vette bodies was made outside of GM the other time was the 87-91 Callaway vettes and a few others that was made until the C-7's with their Callaway aero kits
How could I determine this? Seems like a long shot, as this car was originally a basic low optioned car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Could you elaborate on that? Are you saying that Callaway actually made OEM bodies for GM?

Silverstrike

Established Member
Could you elaborate on that? Are you saying that Callaway actually made OEM bodies for GM?

Other than the interior and doors almost everything else on the Sledgehammer and Aero TT C4's was a Callaway part. Same with the C-5 Supernaturals and C-16 Callaways. They all have Vette underpinnings but the body panels are far from GM issued and was and never made by GM at Bowling Green.

C-16
2007-callaway-c16-5.jpg
2006-callaway-c16-corvette

Last edited:

Silverstrike

Established Member
How could I determine this? Seems like a long shot, as this car was originally a basic low optioned car.

From my understanding about AO and I am no expert was that half and half of the bodies built during those years 65-66 was made between the 2. And real early about mid April forward of 1967 production was also split but GM didn't like that AO was on strike in late Oct of 1966 so that is when they really ramped up production and decided to keep it all under roof and their own control and so never rely on anyone else for building Vette bodies or frames for production.

If you see a tag or tags anywhere on that body and it has AO followed by a number that is one way, the 1967's though also had a tag right on top of the fuel tank with that same set up with the AO ##### but they are the only year to have that.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
From my understanding about AO and I am no expert was that half and half of the bodies built during those years 65-66 was made between the 2. And real early about mid April forward of 1967 production was also split but GM didn't like that AO was on strike in late Oct of 1966 so that is when they really ramped up production and decided to keep it all under roof and their own control and so never rely on anyone else for building Vette bodies or frames for production.

If you see a tag or tags anywhere on that body and it has AO followed by a number that is one way, the 1967's though also had a tag right on top of the fuel tank with that same set up with the AO ##### but they are the only year to have that.
Interesting. This is a ‘66 and sat out in the elements from 1980 (or earlier) until about 1999. There was nothing left of the tank sticker, but I’ll get photos of the VIN/body plates....

Silverstrike

Established Member
Interesting. This is a ‘66 and sat out in the elements from 1980 (or earlier) until about 1999. There was nothing left of the tank sticker, but I’ll get photos of the VIN/body plates....

Like I said 1967's are the only ones to come with a tank tag and it was right by the pickup line/ fuel level housing area.

C2 1965 Corvette

If you have the body/ trim tag like this write up has and it is an A that is the way to show that it was made by them. I think it would be C or G for Chevy or GM

Users who are viewing this thread