1966 Corvette restoration commences

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Other than the interior and doors almost everything else on the Sledgehammer and Aero TT C4's was a Callaway part. Same with the C-5 Supernaturals and C-16 Callaways. They all have Vette underpinnings but the body panels are far from GM issued and was and never made by GM at Bowling Green.

C-16
2007-callaway-c16-5.jpg
2006-callaway-c16-corvette
Okay, now it is clear. I thought you were saying that GM contracted Callaway to manufacturer some of their regular bodies. I had a feeling you were referring to the Sledgehammer and other body packages Callaway designed over the years. I've visited Callaway Cars in Old Lyme, CT a couple of dozen times between 1994 and 2001. It's only about a 40 minute drive from where I live. Between my visits and meetings with Callaway staff over those years I got to know a lot about their work and their parts catalog. I use to own a 1994 Camaro Z-28 that I sent to Callaway in 1996 for a few of their bolt-ons. Before I knew it, I had selected every mod in their catalog except for the body kit. Engine wise, over a 5 years period I had them install their SN400 engine (standard for the Camaro), SN435 engine, and then their Corvette SN450 engine. The Camaro Aerobody was just a bit too extreme for me so I did my own exterior design changes including an SS-style hood. The Corvette Aerobody, by comparison, was much more tasteful. I got to meet and talk to Reeves Callaway a few times. Very personable guy. His Sledgehammer Speedster Corvette was on display in their showroom at the time. Back then, it was quite a sight to see.
hamer-1518703972.jpg

It was almost unheard of for customers to order a tuner Corvette through a Chevy dealership, but Callaway and GM worked out a great relationship. You could order Callaway's Twin Turbo Corvette (1987 to 1991) as an RPO B2K from select Chevy dealers. The B2K optioned Corvette orders were shipped from the Bowling Green assembly plant to Callaway Cars in Old Lyme, for the Twin Turbo conversion. After the conversion, these Callaway Corvettes were then shipped to the ordering dealership for final customer delivery. They were warranted through GM (12 months or 12K miles).

Paul Deutschman did a great job designing both the Callaway Corvette and Camaro Aerobodies. I miss those great days. But I DON'T miss all the money I spent. LOL.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Okay, now it is clear. I thought you were saying that GM contracted Callaway to manufacturer some of their regular bodies. I had a feeling you were referring to the Sledgehammer and other body packages Callaway designed over the years. I've visited Callaway Cars in Old Lyme, CT a couple of dozen times between 1994 and 2001. It's only about a 40 minute drive from where I live. Between my visits and meetings with Callaway staff over those years I got to know a lot about their work and their parts catalog. I use to own a 1994 Camaro Z-28 that I sent to Callaway in 1996 for a few of their bolt-ons. Before I knew it, I had selected every mod in their catalog except for the body kit. Engine wise, over a 5 years period I had them install their SN400 engine (standard for the Camaro), SN435 engine, and then their Corvette SN450 engine. The Camaro Aerobody was just a bit too extreme for me so I did my own exterior design changes including an SS-style hood. The Corvette Aerobody, by comparison, was much more tasteful. I got to meet and talk to Reeves Callaway a few times. Very personable guy. His Sledgehammer Speedster Corvette was on display in their showroom at the time. Back then, it was quite a sight to see.
hamer-1518703972.jpg

It was almost unheard of for customers to order a tuner Corvette through a Chevy dealership, but Callaway and GM worked out a great relationship. You could order Callaway's Twin Turbo Corvette (1987 to 1991) as an RPO B2K from select Chevy dealers. The B2K optioned Corvette orders were shipped from the Bowling Green assembly plant to Callaway Cars in Old Lyme, for the Twin Turbo conversion. After the conversion, these Callaway Corvettes were then shipped to the ordering dealership for final customer delivery. They were warranted through GM (12 months or 12K miles).

Paul Deutschman did a great job designing both the Callaway Corvette and Camaro Aerobodies. I miss those great days. But I DON'T miss all the money I spent. LOL.

Holy shit Bob, you weren't kidding. That Callaway Camaro body kit is horrid. I just Googled it

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Holy shit Bob, you weren't kidding. That Callaway Camaro body kit is horrid. I just Googled it

It's an acquired taste to say the least. The one Cally that I don't really care for is the speedster vettes as you are restricted by not being able to have a roof, so if you ever did get caught in a freak storm you was SOL on keeping your interior dry!!!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As bad as I thought it looked back in 1996, today it looks 10X worse! LOL.

1993 C8 Camaro - YUK! Ditch those headlight covers! Which were removable.
car-for-sale-1993-ca-18_800x0w.jpg

car-for-sale-1993-ca-14_800x0.webp

This '98 Callaway C8 front end looks a bit better sans the headlight covers.
9735301.jpg

9735601.jpg

Yes, @Silverstrike, in the Speedster you were definitely screwed if it started to rain. So knowing the weather forecast was a must.

rborden

Established Member
Nice acquisition but I’d have to go the 427 with a manual transmission route. I’m go big or go home guy. Lol.

Good luck on the build. Can’t wait to see the finished results.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I love seeing it coming together! Yes, sir!

Cute granddaughter by the way. Look at that big smile! Years from now she'll look at that photo and say, "awwww"!

Users who are viewing this thread