1969 Camaro Restomod Project Thread

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Car is ready to pick up!

Passenger fender has had the lower portion patched due to rust and the antenna and badge holes have been filled:
DSC01727-L.jpg

DSC01728-L.jpg

DSC01727-L.jpg

Driver fender has received the same treatment:
DSC01730-L.jpg

DSC01732-L.jpg

Car looks "complete" with the suspension back under it again. This suspension, as mentioned is temporary until we can get the car through body work. Rather not have to worry about taping everything off when being painted. Front subframe will be after paint anyway so definitely waiting on that!

DSC01735-L.jpg

DSC01738-L.jpg

DSC01734-L.jpg

DSC01743-L.jpg

DSC01733-L.jpg

DSC01737-L.jpg

DSC01736-L.jpg

DSC01739-L.jpg

DSC01740-L.jpg

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
We're hoping to get it in for paint at the end of this month. Will's been in Mobile for the past few weeks for his next offshore project. We have some interest from a potential buyer for his 2010 SS; if that goes through expect front suspension by the end of the year and paint to be completed early next. We were referred to a good shop and quoted 4-6 mo on paint (backlog).

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Ok, body shop came to see the car on Saturday. Pushed it out of it's tomb (garage) and he checked it to see what he had to do to get the quality paint job on it I want. I am leaving him a deposit and he thinks he can get my car in his shop in about 1-2 months (maybe sooner). He is also sure we can beat the budget I have set for paint/body work and the timeframe. Right now at his current work pace he is estimating to have the car for 2 months (maybe 3) to have it all the way through paint.

I asked him the process and he said basically the car gets blocked 3-4 times prior to spraying color as they do minor working/correction where needed. He will assemble and gap the entire car and get all the gaps to match the already gapped doors and trunk.

Only issue I have now is he said for "best results" to have the subframe I plan to run in the car so the fenders can be gapped accordingly. The subframe is ~$5-6 grand... I was expecting to do it, just not necessarily this EARLY...

I leave the country for work soon so body shop will have time to work on it. Between now and the end of the year, I'll only be in country 5-6 weeks.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Ok, body shop came to see the car on Saturday. Pushed it out of it's tomb (garage) and he checked it to see what he had to do to get the quality paint job on it I want. I am leaving him a deposit and he thinks he can get my car in his shop in about 1-2 months (maybe sooner). He is also sure we can beat the budget I have set for paint/body work and the timeframe. Right now at his current work pace he is estimating to have the car for 2 months (maybe 3) to have it all the way through paint.

I asked him the process and he said basically the car gets blocked 3-4 times prior to spraying color as they do minor working/correction where needed. He will assemble and gap the entire car and get all the gaps to match the already gapped doors and trunk.

Only issue I have now is he said for "best results" to have the subframe I plan to run in the car so the fenders can be gapped accordingly. The subframe is ~$5-6 grand... I was expecting to do it, just not necessarily this EARLY...

I leave the country for work soon so body shop will have time to work on it. Between now and the end of the year, I'll only be in country 5-6 weeks.

So are you going to bite the bullet for the sub frame?
I'm excited for you two, it'll be an amazing car when done.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Yea I will probably be ordering the subframe first. Hard to justify the cost but it will be done eventually and rather have everything inline for the painting of the car so it can all be done "right."

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I think you're making the right choice. Might as well do it right once, even if it does sting like a mf'er.

Last edited:

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
My Mach 1 went through the same process, and feels like a new car. You should be very happy once it's road worthy again. Best of luck with the build, you have a TON ahead of you (both in $, and work!).

coposrv

Established Member
There is a lot of quality work being done here. Car will be amazing when it's done. I wish I had the coin and patience for a build of this caliber.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Thanks guys. I know I have a long way to go. Sadly spending a little more up front than I wanted. Think I found a very good deal on the matching DSE front suspension. They say they can have it to me in 7-10 days. If that's the case I will try to get the suspension in the car by the end of the month. That way it's ready to head to the body shop!

Luckily I have 11 weeks of out of the country work coming up with some additional uplift. Should help get the car on track. Selling the 2010 will be a bonus at that point.

I think my budget keeps getting stretched on the car. All said and done I could have a very nice newer car but wouldn't have the "soul" that this car will and the sentimental value. I'm not going for a "mule" or top shelf quality build, but I want it to be representative of the amount of cash and work that goes into the car.

coposrv

Established Member
What is the end goal with the car? I have followed some Mark Stielow and Charlie Lilliard cars in the past. The pro touring g- machine builds are some of my favorites.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Well current plan basic rundown is:

DSE front subframe
DSE quadralink w/ 9" and quadralink, minitubed
14" brakes (likely brembo)
All body work done correctly and appear stock (hugger orange)
18s or 18/19 wheel combo, 345mm rear tire
LSx engine/T56 magnum
Roll bar/cage (4 or 6pt)

For now I figure the car will be ~500-550rwhp. Eventually boost it and shoot for 8-900.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Never could decide on stripes. For now, no stripes. Black tail panel and everything else hugger orange. Minimal chrome on the car as well. I'll add stripes later if I get bored.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I think brushed aluminum in place of anything that would normally be chromed would look killer.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
I thought about that and may still go that route, but undecided. That would give it a cool somewhat modern look while retailing the old school feel. I just dont want to get trapped into a very modified and modernized 69 camaro and regret it down the road...Like everyone with the heart beat paint jobs and crap from the 80s. A 69 camaro that LOOKS like a 69 camaro should will never be outdated.

The thought of spending DSE money is keeping me up at night it seems. Been trying to justify the purchase price to myself...Sucks...

Users who are viewing this thread