1969 Camaro Restomod Project Thread

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Very cool man. Hopefully it'll be the perfect width.
I can't remember, are you planning on mini tubs or stock?

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Definitely getting mini-tubs. Trying to decide the tire as well. I think you can go 325 before you need to notch the frame. I'll likely go with a 315 or something.

William

HwyKng

Street Beast...
Established Member
Cant wait to see more. The body was sandblasted? Thats pretty cool. I never knew you could do that, I thought you had to sand by hand. That rear end setup looks badass. What color are you painting again?

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Cant wait to see more. The body was sandblasted? Thats pretty cool. I never knew you could do that, I thought you had to sand by hand. That rear end setup looks badass. What color are you painting again?

Yea the body was media blasted. Gotta find a reputable place because you can seriously damage a car. Most dont use sand as the media. This company used plastic. Easier on the metal and removes all paint/etc. You will still have to sand by hand but this takes a lot of the labor intensive part out of removing all the old paint.

Thanks. Rearend is exactly what I was looking for (suspension wise). I was planning on a Fab9 housing but this is too good a deal to pass up.

Color will be Hugger Orange. Still finalizing what all will be on it (stripes etc) but right now I'm leaning opposite of our 2010. Orange w/ white stripes, black houndstooth interior. It will have a black tail panel and black grille.

William

jliddle

Established Member
You will be VERY pleased with the DSE stuff.

I know Kyle and Stacy Tucker personally and have riden in several of their cars. Blew my mind the first time I rode in their 69 Test Car, I have never been in a car that handled that well. They OWN the autocross wherever they go.

I noticed you said you were putting mirrors back on it? 2nd gen?

Blue Blitz

Established Member
I'm still contemplating the front suspension. They make nice stuff for sure, just cant get excited about spending 7k on a subframe. We'll see when I'm closer to "needing" it.

Mirrors will be going back on. It had a 2nd gen "bullet" mirror on it when I got it. Considering two bullets or maybe go back w/ the first gen mirrors. We'll see.

William

jliddle

Established Member
I'm still contemplating the front suspension. They make nice stuff for sure, just cant get excited about spending 7k on a subframe. We'll see when I'm closer to "needing" it.

Mirrors will be going back on. It had a 2nd gen "bullet" mirror on it when I got it. Considering two bullets or maybe go back w/ the first gen mirrors. We'll see.

William

Speedtech makes a cheaper setup. I was looking into it for my 69, until I decided to fab up my own Wayne Due style sub.

IMO the biggest factor for me to "need" a aftermarket setup is so I can tuck a 18x10" wheel. I dont need the top shelf components so I can squeeze every ounce of performance out of it. Ill be cool with some coil-overs and a modified sub to clear 10's.

But every ones needs are different.

Bullet mirrors FTW.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Speedtech makes a cheaper setup. I was looking into it for my 69, until I decided to fab up my own Wayne Due style sub.

IMO the biggest factor for me to "need" a aftermarket setup is so I can tuck a 18x10" wheel. I dont need the top shelf components so I can squeeze every ounce of performance out of it. Ill be cool with some coil-overs and a modified sub to clear 10's.

But every ones needs are different.

Bullet mirrors FTW.

Nope I'm well aware Speedtech makes one as well :) Considering that as an alternative (about 2grand cheaper than DSE). I agree, the only "NEED" for one is they're a little lighter (typically drop 100-150lbs off the front end), they're more rigid, and you can run a WIDE tire up front.

Just looked at a wayne due as well. I know he stopped building them not too long ago (couple years?). Got any pics of your build? Love to see another buildup for new ideas.

Yea I just looked at a few pics, one of which being Steve Rupp's blue car and the bullets look sick on that one. May have to go that route.

I'd love to go modern style with flushmount glass and shaved drip rails but I dont see that happening.

William

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Color will be Hugger Orange. Still finalizing what all will be on it (stripes etc) but right now I'm leaning opposite of our 2010. Orange w/ white stripes, black houndstooth interior. It will have a black tail panel and black grille.

William

:rockon:

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Yea hopefully it will turn out nice. Saw a car at TX Mile that did exactly what I was planning for the inside. 4th gen TA seats recovered in Houndstooth like the old style, and the headrest cut down to replicate the original. Turned out very nice. Looks like the old seats but with just more bolster to keep you planted in turns.

Talked to DSE today about their narrowed rearend and the owner of the one I'm going to see. Pretty sure he said it's cut down 2 5/8" - 2 7/8" on each side which matches up with what DSE said is "most common" for narrowed 69 camaro axles they sell. This combination would result in a 54 3/4" rear axle (axle flange to axle flange) and allow for a 18"x12" rear wheel w/ 4 3/4" backspacing!

My contact at HRE said this would allow for up to a 6" lip on a soft lip wheel!

Long way away from ordering wheels just trying to make sure I dont get in a bind down the road. Brakes are being thought about also. It seems 2010 SS brakes are about as hard to fit as C6 Z06 brakes. 18s are going to be TOUGH to get on there, but the stepped lip should help.

William

jliddle

Established Member
Nope I'm well aware Speedtech makes one as well :) Considering that as an alternative (about 2grand cheaper than DSE). I agree, the only "NEED" for one is they're a little lighter (typically drop 100-150lbs off the front end), they're more rigid, and you can run a WIDE tire up front.

Just looked at a wayne due as well. I know he stopped building them not too long ago (couple years?). Got any pics of your build? Love to see another buildup for new ideas.

Yea I just looked at a few pics, one of which being Steve Rupp's blue car and the bullets look sick on that one. May have to go that route.

I'd love to go modern style with flushmount glass and shaved drip rails but I dont see that happening.

My build is way behind yours in the resto timeline. I left it back at my dads house in Oct. when I moved for a new job. As soon as I get a decent building squared away I will move it here and continue on.

I hope for mine to be VERY similar to this build > 69 Camaro "War" - Lateral-g Forums

Im confident enough to do all that fab work. Ill just have to turn to some of the less expensive components.

The bullets do look excellent, theyre really common now at shows and such.

Flush mount glass is definitely a "stand-out" mod. Not many out there have it. I have debated what to do with my drip rails as well, I dont personally like them completely shaved on a 1st gen, perhaps tuck them closer to the body? Idk, time will tell.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
My build is way behind yours in the resto timeline. I left it back at my dads house in Oct. when I moved for a new job. As soon as I get a decent building squared away I will move it here and continue on.

I hope for mine to be VERY similar to this build > 69 Camaro "War" - Lateral-g Forums

Im confident enough to do all that fab work. Ill just have to turn to some of the less expensive components.

The bullets do look excellent, theyre really common now at shows and such.

Flush mount glass is definitely a "stand-out" mod. Not many out there have it. I have debated what to do with my drip rails as well, I dont personally like them completely shaved on a 1st gen, perhaps tuck them closer to the body? Idk, time will tell.

Yea mine took a backseat while in college. Was parked at my parents place for 4 years before making it to my new home.

I saw that War car thread on Lateral-g. Ridiculous car. If you can do the fab work then bravo. I wont attempt something that extreme.

Yea probably do bullets as mentioned. Really growing on me.

Now for the update. Picked up the rear end today. Couldn't wait until tomorrow. Guy was thinking about keeping it but lots of folding green changed his mind :)

1236609366_mS7Dn-L.jpg

1236608883_zjEJH-L.jpg

1236610036_8Eyy3-L.jpg

Quadralink (4 link) brackets already welded on already.
1236611807_6z6HF-L.jpg

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Very nice. That center section looks great.
Did the coil overs and drive shaft come with it?

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Very nice. That center section looks great.
Did the coil overs and drive shaft come with it?

Driveshaft did not. I'll pick up one of those closer to the end of the project. That's the old driveshaft that came out of it.

Coilovers did but interesting news on them. I'll be calling DSE monday about them. All searching showed their coilovers to be QA1's. I was surprised to see they were Koni's. Apparently DSE used to have Koni's (so this is a little older setup but still unused condition). Even more interesting, those coilovers are FRONT coilovers...I want to call DSE to ask them what the deal is, and if this guy just gave the guy I bought it from the wrong ones. Shocks are relatively inexpensive so if I have to buy some I can get direct from DSE for around 200 bucks.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
So interesting updates. Read through the last posts and was going to give some updates, and see a correction. The coil overs included are in fact the correct shocks. They have a small tab on them that weld to the upper crossmember that is installed with the kit.

The car has been stored while collecting parts in the garage. I got stuck with excessive work schedule that resulted in a company change. All added up to many delays in the build progress.

I decided while out of town over the last two weeks that I should start getting back into the build. Progress will still be "slow" for a while as it needs sheet metal work which is being done by a shop.

I ordered the remaining rear suspension pieces from DSE. I will have all parts necessary for rearend installation with the quadralink and minitub. Car will HOPEFULLY go to the body shop next month. I have quotes from them showing about 6-7k in metal work alone (no prep for paint!).

Body work to be done by the shop will include:
Rear quarters (both)
Tail panel
Rear filler
Roof
Door patch panels (both)
Front fender patch panels (both)
Dash patch panel
Outer rear wheel housings
Inner rear wheel housings (DSE "deep tubs")
Rear shock crossmember

I plan to do the floor patch panels and trunk patch panels myself, as well as the fire wall fill plate. I will also install the "through the floor" subframe connectors that we picked up in the time it's been sitting. Plans are to build a cage for it as well. I will likely buy a tube bender and do this while we're working on the floor patch panels (will need to drop through the floor anyway to get main hoop fully welded).

To keep me busy while I'm waiting for availability with the body shop and them working on it (est time 3 weeks for metal work), I will be helping a friends on the cars they plan to take for power tour. One is a 1969 C10: iron 6.0L from a newer truck with carb setup w/ T56 and air ride, as well as a 1969 Camaro SS350 convertible that will be getting a LS3 w/ cam/etc w/ T56 and new suspension.

No good pics of the C10 are available at this time, but here are some of the 69 Camaro convertible we're working on:
Before
69vert3.jpg

DSC09816.jpg

DSC09818.jpg

DSC09820.jpg

Currently
DSC09958.jpg

We'll see if it can be finished by June. Should be off to blast in 2 weeks.

William

mustang addict

Established Member
Will,

Glad you're back on the project. I trust you found a reputable place for the metal work? There is NOONE out here who can do that right so that kind of stuff scares me.

I'll be on the power tour this year as well as a few buddies from up here. You gonna bring the '10 or the boss?

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread