1979 Cobra Dyno Video (loud)

dk5_cobra

Established Member
I'm a fairly new member here so most of you haven't seen my car that I just "finished" (it'll never be done but I can drive now so that's close enough) anyways to give some context:

69100455-2d72-4aeb-855a-e6e1aa04e278.jpg

_MG_2533.jpg

well I finally had some time after work to get the car over to a local shop with a dyno to 1. see how well I got the carb tuned just doing it the old fashoned way and 2. to see what kind of hp it puts down

[video=youtube;hlw5-F4QyhA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlw5-F4QyhA[/video]

20160720_185652.jpg

ended up with 237 hp at 5700 and 237 ft/lbs at 4600. It started to go lean above 5k so it definitely needs larger mains but I'm happy with it overall. Still in awe of how well the car drives with the IRS and Maximum Motorsports suspension. peace

dk5_cobra

Established Member
308 bottom end (stock rebuild), 69 heads with 2.00, 1.60 valves/porting, comp 292h cam (and associated valvetrain parts), edelbrock vic jr intake, fed by a holley 650dp.

Its a combination put together by my dad in the late 80s that would definitely benefit from some aluminum heads and less cam duration. But it runs great and lets me enjoy the car for now until I build up something else for it

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Impressive Fox. Impressive motor. IMPRESSIVE sounds emanating from that motor!

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
a lot of noise for no power. Its clean though

Why do you even bother commenting if you have nothing good to say? I've been noticing alot of your posts are unpleasant in nature. You unhappy with yourself or something?

Sweet car, OP. That's more power than late model 2V! Absolutely impressive!

Last edited:

TClark22

Established Member
Why do you even bother commenting if you have nothing good to say? I've been noticing alot of your posts are unpleasant in nature. You unhappy with yourself or something?

Sweet car, OP. That's more power than late model 2V! Absolutely impressive!

my-sarcasm-your-head-600.png

People take the internet too seriously sometimes. I said its clean...its a 79 Cobra...what more do you want from me? Should I have given the OP a handy or something?

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
my-sarcasm-your-head-600.png

People take the internet too seriously sometimes. I said its clean...its a 79 Cobra...what more do you want from me? Should I have given the OP a handy or something?

That wasn't sarcasm, it was douche-casm. If you don't have anything nice to say, why type anything? "Clean car............but here is why it sucks" is essentially what you typed. it's a clean car with tasteful mods.

Op, sweet car. I have an '85 t-top fox with an IRS conversion as well

TClark22

Established Member
That wasn't sarcasm, it was douche-casm. If you don't have anything nice to say, why type anything? "Clean car............but here is why it sucks" is essentially what you typed. it's a clean car with tasteful mods.

Op, sweet car. I have an '85 t-top fox with an IRS conversion as well

What ever you say man. Thanks for commenting about my comment about my comment. It was sarcasm but I don't expect you to get it. No where did I say it sucks. I considered what I said sarcasm with a compliment. But take it how you will. Chalking it up to another useful comment for this guys thread. Just like this one.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I would also like to know more about your suspension set up .
I have a 91 Coupe with 01 IRS, Engine and 01 front suspension , and an 84 T top ,347 on spray.
Was going to get an 01 IRS from a member here , for the 84 ,but that fell thru.
Still looking .

The IRS, makes the weight distribution on these cars about perfect.
And the handling is amazing .

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
What ever you say man. Thanks for commenting about my comment about my comment. It was sarcasm but I don't expect you to get it. No where did I say it sucks. I considered what I said sarcasm with a compliment. But take it how you will. Chalking it up to another useful comment for this guys thread. Just like this one.

that's a very clean car in your sig. not a bad way to spend $25k in parts/labor on an 11 year old car probably worth $8k at this point.

see what i did there?? i just made a douchey comment underneath the veil of a weak compliment, resulting in likely butthurt on your part with some type of comeback. i didn't mean it, though, so i apologize

TClark22

Established Member
that's a very clean car in your sig. not a bad way to spend $25k in parts/labor on an 11 year old car probably worth $8k at this point.

see what i did there?? i just made a douchey comment underneath the veil of a weak compliment, resulting in likely butthurt on your part with some type of comeback. i didn't mean it, though, so i apologize

Oh man my butt, so much hurt. I actually think my car is only worth like 7k at this point tbh...

Sorry for hijacking OP. lol

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I like seeing the occasional pre-fuel injection Mustangs posted up. Brings back some fond, and not so fond, memories of working with carbureted motors. :)

gnats

Find One Recall Daily
Established Member
Nice car. The 79 was the beginning of the resurgence of the mustang. I don't see many 79's around anymore. Let alone one as nice as yours. I wish I had the ability to restore a fox mustang. My first new car was a 1988 mustang GT, so they have a special place in my heart.

Users who are viewing this thread