1982 Volkswagen Scirocco | Retro Review

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah I was into the G60 too, but still paying on the 88 16v Scirocco, so by the time I could buy one, the VR6 was out.

In G60s, I actually liked the bright yellow ones. There was a neat dark purple color.
Yup, the dark purple.

Vforce700

Established Member
Found some pix I took when I first got the Scirocco 16V. It was Nov 2, 1988. Not the best clarity because they are digital photos of old printed photographs. This is the first photo I took of the car after buying. I was completely over the moon.
20230513_094837.jpg

88 was officially the only year for Alpine White, although I've seen a couple of 87's.

Gunnar Heuberger had just took over the reins from his dad. Was a week or so shy of his 28th birthday when I bought the car. He grew up at that dealership. Showed me all kinds of stuff on the car, under the car, etc. His personal collection at that time was 16 cars. Last I talked to him, he was at 43 cars. I remember his company car in 88 was a new ZR1 Corvette.
20230513_094902.jpg

I took the old one (1980 Mars Red) with the new one. Still have both.
20230513_094937.jpg

1st day Colorado raised the interstate speed limit to 75, I got a ticket for 90 in a 75 with the Scirocco 16V. They top out at about 130 but handle like they are on rails.
(CHP officer was cool, tho. Got me at 90, but wrote 84 in a 75 for less damage...)
20230513_094913.jpg

Last edited:

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
Along about 1983 or so I had a silver 1975 that I put a 1978 GTI engine and trans in. Would love to have that now what with all the modern wheels, rubber and suspension available.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Is this how I will look at the BRZ and FRS in 15-20 years? The performance in the 80s was pitiful...

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve never heard of these cars, and I’m not young for the forum either.

Personally, don’t feel like I missed much either.

Nostalgia is a powerful drug though.

Vforce700

Established Member
Along about 1983 or so I had a silver 1975 that I put a 1978 GTI engine and trans in. Would love to have that now what with all the modern wheels, rubber and suspension available.
First scirocco I saw was 74 or 75. Arrived in our town, and I had never seen one. I was driving my F-100. Original Giugiaro design was pretty cool at the time. I like wedge shape generally.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Found some pix I took when I first got the Scirocco 16V. It was Nov 2, 1988. Not the best clarity because they are digital photos of old printed photographs. This is the first photo I took of the car after buying. I was completely over the moon.
View attachment 1834166
88 was officially the only year for Alpine White, although I've seen a couple of 87's.

Gunnar Heuberger had just took over the reins from his dad. Was a week or so shy of his 28th birthday when I bought the car. He grew up at that dealership. Showed me all kinds of stuff on the car, under the car, etc. His personal collection at that time was 16 cars. Last I talked to him, he was at 43 cars. I remember his company car in 88 was a new ZR1 Corvette.
View attachment 1834167
I took the old one (1980 Mars Red) with the new one. Still have both.
View attachment 1834176
1st day Colorado raised the interstate speed limit to 75, I got a ticket for 90 in a 75 with the Scirocco 16V. They top out at about 120 but handle like they are on rails.View attachment 1834177

So cool. When I was a kid there was a house up the block in which the parents were going through a divorce and moved out but left the house to their kids. It turned into a hangout/party house. They had money and all sorts of cool toys, and one of them had a Scirocco just like this. He traded it for an OG Quattro, which was a pretty exotic car at the time. I actually preferred the Scirocco.

Vforce700

Established Member
So cool. When I was a kid there was a house up the block in which the parents were going through a divorce and moved out but left the house to their kids. It turned into a hangout/party house. They had money and all sorts of cool toys, and one of them had a Scirocco just like this. He traded it for an OG Quattro, which was a pretty exotic car at the time. I actually preferred the Scirocco.
I was still in payments on the 88 16V when the 90 Audi Coupe Quattro came out. It had a slight Scirocco/Corrado similarity but larger and a bit longer. Inline 5 cylinder courtesy Dr Ferdinand Piech. The one that only was sold here for 90 and 91. I was crazy about those and G60 Corrado, but couldn't afford either alongside my Scirocco.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
They look like an elongated Vw Rabbit to me. Grandma and I used to make trips from Idaho to Ocean Shores in an 84' diesel Rabbit. Loud, slow, and shitty heat. Had to use blankets in the car. Still remember the Vw diesel konk, konk, konk, konk!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
They look like an elongated Vw Rabbit to me. Grandma and I used to make trips from Idaho to Ocean Shores in an 84' diesel Rabbit. Loud, slow, and shitty heat. Had to use blankets in the car. Still remember the Vw diesel konk, konk, konk, konk!
I had one, great mileage though. Car broke in half with around 300K on it.

fast Ed

Established Member
Nice to see some Scirocco love on here! I have an 81 S that I bought last spring on a whim, here in this part of Canada most of them have turned to dust by now. Although I am likely going to sell it this year, and just concentrate on enjoying 1 car.

Attachments

• IMG_3566.jpeg
    IMG_3566.jpeg
    548.6 KB · Views: 9

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That Scirocco looks to be in great shape, @fast Ed. Did you add the wheels, or did they come with the car when you bought it.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Nice to see some Scirocco love on here! I have an 81 S that I bought last spring on a whim, here in this part of Canada most of them have turned to dust by now. Although I am likely going to sell it this year, and just concentrate on enjoying 1 car.
Sharp car Bubba.

Vforce700

Established Member
Nah, keep the Scirocco S. Friend in college had one-a Cirrus Gray 81. They are nice. We were gonna find a garage to rent near campus, then he decided he would just leave his out, but I found a good one car garage for a whopping 25 bucks a month.

Vforce700

Established Member
Some photos of my 1st generation 80 Mars Red. 44 years old now, I've had for 41. A little rust, some paint is oxidized. Chastain Shadow and the DaVest bra were big in 80s. Dealer had put them on for 1st owner. My 1st car. My 1st vehicle was an F100.
20200321_183507.jpg
20200326_103850.jpg
This one has 203k now, original engine, still original clutch, original transmission. Runs real good. Over time, replaced entire exhaust system and cat converter. Car sounded great when exhaust manifold had a crack. Could hear me coming a block away.
20200321_183610.jpg

fast Ed

Established Member
The car had GTI snowflake wheels on it when purchased. The ones on it now are 15x7.5 Ronal LS that I found for sale somewhat locally a few months after getting the car. I think mesh wheels look perfect on this era of vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread