1982 Volkswagen Scirocco | Retro Review

MG0h3

Established Member
Good lord. The performance on that thing is horrible! I thought these things were turbo charged or something.

My older brothers friend had one in high school which would’ve been the 90’s. Maybe some better versions came out later.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The later versions were better I believe. When I was a teen and my parents still owned the skating rink, some of my friends that worked for us and were a little older obsessed over the Scirocco, Corrado, and all VWs for that matter, and one of then managed to get their hands on a Scirocco when he was probably 17. The Corrado always seemed to be a little too expensive at that time, but I remember them all being pretty cool cars.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
"This little pocket racer has spunk". LOL. It did back in 1982 when performance was lacking throughout the industry. 18.8@ 74mph was decent back then. By comparison, a 1982 Z28 saw 15.6@ 90.5mph (the 1982 Mustang GT recorded [email protected]. Makes you really appreciate today's cars performance.

I never owned a Scirocco, but back then it intrigued me. I ended up buying a 1984 or 1985 (forget the exact model year) Mitsubishi Cordia making a whopping 116hp!

Vforce700

Established Member
Just starting here, but didn't expect to see a Scirocco discussion. My first car-80 Scirocco, bought used-3 years old at the time, and I still have the car. Then bought new 16valve Scirocco in 88. I only have 36k original miles on that one.
20230630_115626.jpg
SANY2446 (2).jpg

4.698gt

Established Member
I don't think they ever had a factory vr6 scirocco, I think you are thinking of the Corrado, which I think were the better looking of the two.

Vforce700

Established Member
When I paid off the 88 Scirocco 16V, I had a one month no payment break, and then I bought this guy new in Dec 93. Hangs out next to the 16V. 93 Corrado VR6.
SANY0430.jpg
Sciroccos were a thing in the late 80s. I had my red 80 at college, and I remember I was driving with a buddy of mine, and he said go thru campus one more time, cause he said he wanted people to see him riding in my car. Bimmer 3 series were popular, and Scirocco's were up there with them in cool factor at that time.

I bought the 16V Scirocco in 88-the fall of my senior year. I was on scholarship, had no money to speak of, had a 2 hr a day job at the college that paid like 300 a month. But I had to have this car. I turn in the credit app and next day finance guy calls and says banker has some questions for ya.....

So finance guy and I go down to the bank, and the banker says our numbers show you would need 70 percent of your income just for the payment. I'm thinking to myself, no it's more like 80 percent, but you just do the deal, and I'll handle it. He did-they gave me a new car loan for 60 mos with zero down. Back in the late 80s, credit card companies would send college kids pre approved offers. Limit was low-1500 bucks. And I had one. But after I got the car, I decided I need 2 more. Each month I would see how much loot I was short for the payment, go get cash advance for it, deposit in checking, and make payment. When I graduated, I owed 2400 bucks credit cards, which seemed like a lot back then, but I was confident I'd get a job and pay it off. Which I did. The rest of senior year, was spending like 6 bucks a week for food. It didn't matter cause I had my car. (In fact, I had 2 cars at college then, cause I also had my 80 Scirocco). My mom said is that why you're in school? 88 16V is the best thing I have to show for going.

Last edited:

Vforce700

Established Member
Happened to check values...these guys keep climbing....Scirocco 16V's doing well, and Corrado VR6's even better:

Attachments

• Screenshot (250).png
    Screenshot (250).png
    95.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot (251).png
    Screenshot (251).png
    94.6 KB · Views: 24

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
When I paid off the 88 Scirocco 16V, I had a one month no payment break, and then I bought this guy new in Dec 93. Hangs out next to the 16V. 93 Corrado VR6.View attachment 1809499Sciroccos were a thing in the late 80s. I had my red 80 at college, and I remember I was driving with a buddy of mine, and he said go thru campus one more time, cause he said he wanted people to see him riding in my car. Bimmer 3 series were popular, and Scirocco's were up there with them in cool factor at that time.

I bought the 16V Scirocco in 88-the fall of my senior year. I was on scholarship, had no money to speak of, had a 2 hr a day job at the college that paid like 300 a month. But I had to have this car. I turn in the credit app and next day finance guy calls and says banker has some questions for ya.....

So finance guy and I go down to the bank, and the banker says our numbers show you would need 70 percent of your income just for the payment. I'm thinking to myself, no it's more like 80 percent, but you just do the deal, and I'll handle it. He did-they gave me a new car loan for 60 mos with zero down. Back in the late 80s, credit card companies would send college kids pre approved offers. Limit was low-1500 bucks. And I had one. But after I got the car, I decided I need 2 more. Each month I would see how much loot I was short for the payment, go get cash advance for it, deposit in checking, and make payment. When I graduated, I owed 2400 bucks credit cards, which seemed like a lot back then, but I was confident I'd get a job and pay it off. Which I did. The rest of senior year, was spending like 6 bucks a week for food. It didn't matter cause I had my car. (In fact, I had 2 cars at college then, cause I also had my 80 Scirocco). My mom said is that why you're in school? 88 16V is the best thing I have to show for going.

Spoken like a true car guy. I have similar stories. Love it!

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Happened to check values...these guys keep climbing....Scirocco 16V's doing well, and Corrado VR6's even better:

93 Corrados priced at the same level as s550 gt500s and C7zs seems a bit......rich

Vforce700

Established Member
Agree....I was surprised, but don't mind it. I check Hagerty and Classic.com for values. Hagerty will send me an email when they think one needs a bump. Awhile back it was the 94 F-350; they said value up 3000. Then 88 16v Scirocco up 4500, and 93 VR6 Corrado up 5k. I kind of look for a happy median, because if I raise the valuations, they are gonna raise my premiums, eh? I wait to raise them until the annual renewal.

When I had first bought those cars new, and they went down the usual depreciation curve, I thought it would be great if they got back to what I paid for them new. Now they are double to triple. Corrado at concours was 71k last I checked, and Scirocco was 51k IIRC. Now 81k and 60k. So they are continuing to rise for what it's worth.

I don't pay any attention to current VWs. Don't really relate to the current owners. I don't think they mostly have any idea what a Scirocco or Corrado is.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I wanted a G60 Corrado so bad back in the day.

That interior was amazing. Shame we didn't get a RWD VR6T akin to a German GTV6

Vforce700

Established Member
Yeah I was into the G60 too, but still paying on the 88 16v Scirocco, so by the time I could buy one, the VR6 was out.

In G60s, I actually liked the bright yellow ones. There was a neat dark purple color.

Users who are viewing this thread