1996 Cobra overheating fix? not your usual question

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
It’s not hard at all I’ve done it numerous times I use a pillow so my left side ribcage doesn’t take a beating in the door sill

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

sae156

Established Member
one of the possible "fixes" is also to buy a hand held tuner i.e. SCT and change the parameters to turn the fans on at lesser temps vs factory.

does anybody know if something like a Snap On diagnostic computer/interface can do the same thing?

the SCT seems like a waste of $ money to make 2 changes and probably never use it again.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did you ever verify the temps? Is the fan coming on at low and high speed?

Check out Forscan. I don't know if they support 97's, but it's worth a look. The oldest I've used it on is my 2015 F250.

I wouldn't use an SCT anyway unless you get a tune from someone. You'd have to run their canned tune to make the fan changes and those aren't that great from what I remember.

sae156

Established Member
Did you ever verify the temps? Is the fan coming on at low and high speed?

Check out Forscan. I don't know if they support 97's, but it's worth a look. The oldest I've used it on is my 2015 F250.

I wouldn't use an SCT anyway unless you get a tune from someone. You'd have to run their canned tune to make the fan changes and those aren't that great from what I remember.
nothing verified yet. she's still stuck in a snowdrift. lol. a bit better than she was though
20240314_152522.jpg

but totally agree with your SCT advice. i spoke to them and the preset tunes are only based on fuel octane.
that's my last and worst option so far...

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
Since you live up in the mountains and 80s are probably the hottest it gets there I’d say throw in a reishe 170 thermostat and do the fan mod so you can control it by hand especially if you are just idling or in any traffic once you get moving the air will blow through and the reishe will do its job better than a stant 180 or 160. I had my tuner change my fan setting as I run a Diablo sport chipmaster revolution black chip. If I didn’t I would have just did the high speed fan mod long ago. It’s the most efficient and effective solution

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
While I’m driving my fans never come on low or high with the reishe but they did when I ran a 180 stant thermostat

sae156

Established Member
Since you live up in the mountains and 80s are probably the hottest it gets there I’d say throw in a reishe 170 thermostat and do the fan mod so you can control it by hand especially if you are just idling or in any traffic once you get moving the air will blow through and the reishe will do its job better than a stant 180 or 160. I had my tuner change my fan setting as I run a Diablo sport chipmaster revolution black chip. If I didn’t I would have just did the high speed fan mod long ago. It’s the most efficient and effective solution

i might have to give that reishe a try.

i'm good at electrical stuff so the fan mod would be easy. i guess the question i have is wouldn't it be just as easy to flip the A/C to max and get the hi speed fan that way when needed.

driving down the open roads my temps are great right now.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
I think the only down fall to turning your ac on max and driving around in the heat is the condenser gets super hot so all that heat is being pulled into the radiator first instead of ambient temp say 250 degree condensor heat being pulled into a radiator that’s 210-220 degrees vs 80 degrees ambient being pulled into a 210/220 degree radiator

sae156

Established Member
well, finally an update

starting this fix with a Reische t-stat. i actually spoke to owner Joel for a good 10 minutes about his product and the 96 cobra overheating saga

then, re-fill they system with some redline water wetter too and burp and let's see what just the t-stat solves.

sae156

Established Member
That stat is amazing I’ll never buy another brand again he really knows his stuff

yep, i would highly recommend him and his product just based on that phone call. gave me so much good info about other tiny details re: 96 Cobra

I_like_turtlez

Established Member
Good lord you're still trying to figure this out lol

You either have air in the system or a broken head-gasket my man, no offense to suggestions posted but blowing more air onto boiling water isn't the answer, turning the burner off is

-Pressurize cooling system for leaks
-Verify the fan is kicking on
-Burp the system via service data(or create a new higher point)
-Leak down test

Edit: I mean it's very possible the sending unit has gone faulty as well and the car isn't actually overheating

Last edited:

robvas

Established Member
SCT can be used for data logging too so it's not totally useless if you buy one. But you can do that with a $100 locked one.

When my 97 would get hot...basically got hot in traffic etc.

Replaced the radiator as it was cracked in the corner and had a leak.

Stock thermostat. Autozone radiator. Stock water pump.

Still got hot. Secondary fans were not coming on. Previous owner had wired them to a switch.

Removed all that shit. Bought a new radiator fan on Amazon. One on the car had a melted plug (very common). Re-did the wiring for it and then the fan turned on both speeds.

Burped the system and never had a problem with it again.

sae156

Established Member
Good lord you're still trying to figure this out lol

You either have air in the system or a broken head-gasket my man, no offense to suggestions posted but blowing more air onto boiling water isn't the answer, turning the burner off is

-Pressurize cooling system for leaks
-Verify the fan is kicking on
-Burp the system via service data(or create a new higher point)
-Leak down test

Edit: I mean it's very possible the sending unit has gone faulty as well and the car isn't actually overheating
haven't started yet. driveway still iced over.

sae156

Established Member
SCT can be used for data logging too so it's not totally useless if you buy one. But you can do that with a $100 locked one.

When my 97 would get hot...basically got hot in traffic etc.

Replaced the radiator as it was cracked in the corner and had a leak.

Stock thermostat. Autozone radiator. Stock water pump.

Still got hot. Secondary fans were not coming on. Previous owner had wired them to a switch.

Removed all that shit. Bought a new radiator fan on Amazon. One on the car had a melted plug (very common). Re-did the wiring for it and then the fan turned on both speeds.

Burped the system and never had a problem with it again.
will be verifying radiator fan after i change out t-stat and refill system. thanks.

sae156

Established Member
if forscan works with a 96 and you have a laptop thats the way to fly imho. $60 for the connector, software is free and can do quite a bit.
i did see that as quite a great and cheap option. but don't have a laptop. and i don't think a chromebook is compatible. or i need a 25 foot cable and use my desktop. lol

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
So with forscan you can change your fan settings?

no, sorry, didnt mean to imply that. Forscan is more for diagnostics, especially on older vehicles. I would spend $60 on a forscan cable before $100 on a locked handheld is what I was saying

newer stuff where the BCM runs everything you can do stuff like leave fog lights on with high beams, add/program options it didnt come with (ie add the oe brake controller on an f150)

Users who are viewing this thread