1996 Cobra overheating fix? not your usual question

sae156

Established Member
and joel @ reische told me that another cheap thing to replace is the rad reservoir cap. picked up a motorcraft OEM off rock auto for like $7.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
Oh ok got you yeah I was looking up the forscan it looks like a cool diagnostic tool I may have to try it out if it doesn’t work on early obd2 I can always use it for my f150

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
and joel @ reische told me that another cheap thing to replace is the rad reservoir cap. picked up a motorcraft OEM off rock auto for like $7.

I had my car running yesterday checking some stuff and with the reische 170 thermostat I was getting coolant passing through the radiator at about 165 and at 170 it was fully open I jumped my high speed fan and it cooled down to 165 I. A matter of 2 seconds so I know the reishe is a fast opening thermostat nothing like a stock 160 or 180

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

sae156

Established Member
Oh ok got you yeah I was looking up the forscan it looks like a cool diagnostic tool I may have to try it out if it doesn’t work on early obd2 I can always use it for my f150

yeah, the list of what it can do is amazing . it seemed like you could also pay and get more than the basic options.

sae156

Established Member
I had my car running yesterday checking some stuff and with the reische 170 thermostat I was getting coolant passing through the radiator at about 165 and at 170 it was fully open I jumped my high speed fan and it cooled down to 165 I. A matter of 2 seconds so I know the reishe is a fast opening thermostat nothing like a stock 160 or 180

that' what joel told me: there are only 2 t-stats for the 96. his or a motorcraft model with higher temp

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
yeah, the list of what it can do is amazing . it seemed like you could also pay and get more than the basic options.

I believe this is correct:

No License - read/clear DTCs. I think the testing functions work (ie key on/engine off system test), read mode 6 data etc.

Free License (must update/request new key every 60 days) - can make changes to the body control module (again, I'll use keeping the fog lights on with the high beams or killing the honks with keyless entry, program new injector offset on a 6.7 as an example)

$12/year License - same as free license, dont have to request a new key code every 60 days, also gives access to PATS

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
I’m gonna be tapping into the pcm kick panel pin 46 light green with purple stripe and run this toggle switch that fits in our coin holder from John smith racing so I can control my high speed fan if idling without moving or cooling down between runs at the drag strip
Image1712000052.111201.jpg
not bad for 21 bucks off eBay

sae156

Established Member
I’m gonna be tapping into the pcm kick panel pin 46 light green with purple stripe and run this toggle switch that fits in our coin holder from John smith racing so I can control my high speed fan if idling without moving or cooling down between runs at the drag strip View attachment 1835015 not bad for 21 bucks off eBay

that;s cool as hell!

keep me posted if you have any issues that you run into. but it seems like a pretty easy wiring job.

now you got me thinking for my car. something like this?

launch.jpg

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
that;s cool as hell!

keep me posted if you have any issues that you run into. but it seems like a pretty easy wiring job.

now you got me thinking for my car. something like this?

launch.jpg

I’ll definitely be documenting it and hopefully it will help people there’s a write up on it but really no pictures hopefully I’ll be able to work on it this weekend

sae156

Established Member
I’ll definitely be documenting it and hopefully it will help people there’s a write up on it but really no pictures hopefully I’ll be able to work on it this weekend

great!
the only thing i read about the switch idea was that there is a very similar colored wire close by.

how are you gonna splice into it? the one on the top left?
hqdefault.jpg

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
No I’m going to strip back about 1/2 inch of insulation and wrap some 14 gauge wire and twist it into the exposed wire and solder and wrap with electrical tape. I don’t like those crimp together connections like top left. You can not cut the wire if you cut it it messes up the normal operation of the fan when the computer commands it to turn on normally. A razor blade works great to strip back the insulation precisely.

sae156

Established Member
@venom1997

just noticed you are from ABQ. any opinions on Hellion turbos? i found their website many years ago and thought about driving down there and have them do a turbo on mine. never had the finances back then though.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
@venom1997

just noticed you are from ABQ. any opinions on Hellion turbos? i found their website many years ago and thought about driving down there and have them do a turbo on mine. never had the finances back then though.

I’m in Rio Rancho now just 20 min north of Albuquerque but yes hellion is top notch! Dyno edge in Albuquerque deals with them as well and do the installs and dyno tunes. They did a twin turbo install on my cousins 19 gt 1180 rwhp. They are definitely the best when it comes to turbos

sae156

Established Member
@venom1997

hey, did you start doing the fan speed mod? i am curious to see some pics if you did. i'm finally gonna put the new Tstat in this weekend.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
@venom1997

hey, did you start doing the fan speed mod? i am curious to see some pics if you did. i'm finally gonna put the new Tstat in this weekend.

Yessir i documented the how to here also if you go on eBay to John smith racing store he has the toggle switches that go in the coin holder like I have pictured

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
@venom1997

It was 70 degrees here today took the car out and driving around it stayed at 170-172 no fan on when I got to my house I let it warm up to 185 ish just idling in the driveway turned the high speed fan on and it cooled down to 165 in a matter of seconds I love this mod

Users who are viewing this thread