1997 Cobra Tuning Questions / Suggetions!!

01yellercobra

Established Member
The faster tach and being to put all the warning lights right on the dash is what has me thinking about the digital dash. I'm guessing it can be programmed to use the tach face as a shift light.

Adower

Established Member
Not to hijack thread but why swap to New Edge C-heads over B's? The 99-01 Cobra made the exact same power output as the 96-98(both underrated BHP quite a bit)

What's the benefits
I think the c heads are just an all around better head. This is especially if staying NA. However, if you’re not trying to squeeze every last drop of hp out of the motor the B heads with boost will be more than enough.

J-Betschart

Established Member
Back at it after a while got the 2v out (awaiting its tune as well, it probably should get the ms3 set up haha)

I have pretty much settled on getting the MS3Pro, seems as if any set up will do what I am looking for. I just want to retain the stock gauges. Although its funny I have never heard the stock tach was a bit inaccurate which would be somewhat annoying.
But down the road who knows what will change.

Couple of questions as the previous owner butchered my wiring harness under the hood pretty good. That is one of the reasons the Holley set up since it came with a new harness.
My car currently has a MSD Dis 4 set up wired into the factory set up. I would like to clean it up and get rid of the the coil packs all together.
Am I able successfully do the Coil On Plug set up and not have issues at higher rpms?
Been a while but I remember that if you bought the harness and converted it via stock ecu that it didn't get the proper volts at higher rpms or something of that nature.
With that being said, would I still order the MS3Pro for the 96-98 model?

Secondly, I have a Glenns Performance triple walbro set up installed. Have not wired in the fuel pumps yet. With the MS3 set up , would I be wiring this in any different than normal? I was looking at wiring this onto a hobbs wiring switch originally.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think you'd still want the 96-98 as I'm sure the main harness plug is different between the years. Internally the MS3PNP is the same as the MS3Pro. You could probably wire the COPs to the ECU and not have any problems.

The MS3 should activate the fuel pumps as normal. It's just a setting in the tune. But you can wire the extra pumps to come on separately. No need for a Hobbs switch. I have mine set up to kick on the second pump at either 5psi or 3200rpm and above. You just have to add a relay to control the secondary pumps.

J-Betschart

Established Member
Doesn't sound like too much of a hassle.
This is the issue with having multiple projects. You stop for a while on one of them and forget where you left off so you feel like your starting from square one re learning everything haha.

After looking in the description of the MS3 set up it states it will work with both options so that is a relief. Would just have to find some info on what that entails
  • 4 wasted spark ignition channels with support for sequential coil on plug conversion

01yellercobra

Established Member
My guess would be you'd have to run 8 grounds to the ECU for the COPs. I'd use the current power supply for the COPs if it can support them. The rest would be changing the settings in the tune.

Users who are viewing this thread