1st Ever Cobra!

JB85

Established Member
Hi Everyone,

New here, but not new to mustangs or muscle cars

9 weeks ago My wife and I just had our first kid, and I happened to be browsing offer up last night and saw a 1997 Cobra for $2500. But the motor was shot as it had the dreaded rod knock that I have seen discussed on a bunch of forums. But I really wanted to buy a mustang for my baby boy, as my dad and I bought a 1969 Cougar when I was 6 years old and we restored it to show quality condition. My Cougar was featured in Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine (doubt that magazine is still around). So I wanted to restore a car for my son just like my dad and I did.

so after contacting the seller, we agreed on selling the car for $1k. I went to u-Haul this morning, rented a trailer, loaded up the cobra and brought her home. The car still runs, and I was able to drive it on and off the trailer, but it’s in need of a complete restoration. I just figured for the price, I couldn’t go wrong.

Plans for the car?.....it’s going to sit in my garage for a few years as I collect parts for it. But I really want to take my time and have this car ready for when my kid turns 16. I want him to be a part of every step of the restoration like my dad did for me. I want him to respect all the time and labor that will go into it so he doesn’t treat it like a box of rock that you see some other kids do that just get cars handed to them.

ultimate goal for the car is to be painted white with carbon fiber accents, and white rims. I have always loved white on white. Looks so clean. Plans for the engine would be to rebuild it, add cams, bore it .20 over, long tube headers. Keep it as street-able as possible and N/A. It’s weird to think this car will be 40 years old when my kid turns 16, but I fell in love with this body style when i was a kid in high school.

can’t wait to start working on it. Would love any tips that you all have!

ohh and the seller gave me a 60lb racing clutch that was in the car. God knows why anyone would want such a stupid clutch for a stock car. So I’ll sell it to anyone who wants it haha.

Hope you enjoy the pictures. I’ll throw in a picture of the cougar my dad and I restored too. Can’t wait to cruise side by side with my son

Attachments

• DEBA9C09-4C71-4B83-915B-A53F71BF38CE.jpeg
    DEBA9C09-4C71-4B83-915B-A53F71BF38CE.jpeg
    607.5 KB · Views: 257
  • 6D37EFF2-E30F-467A-AB3D-9E596BF9F93C.jpeg
    6D37EFF2-E30F-467A-AB3D-9E596BF9F93C.jpeg
    368.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 79880011-32B9-4277-A7D8-89DA927E91D5.jpeg
    79880011-32B9-4277-A7D8-89DA927E91D5.jpeg
    789.6 KB · Views: 220
  • 36944B02-DAD9-4453-9ACA-1D3695A4B103.jpeg
    36944B02-DAD9-4453-9ACA-1D3695A4B103.jpeg
    570.5 KB · Views: 227
  • 9205BA09-AE70-484D-AE35-204FB8060E31.jpeg
    9205BA09-AE70-484D-AE35-204FB8060E31.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 211

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats on both new additions to your family. The cobra seems like a nice score for the price.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Congrats to you and your son. Looks like a real straight car to start with. The '94 in my sig was ppg ultra white with paint matched 95 cobra r's. Great look for sure on that body. Always broke necks everywhere.

JB85

Established Member
Congrats on both new additions to your family. The cobra seems like a nice score for the price.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Congrats to you and your son. Looks like a real straight car to start with. The '94 in my sig was ppg ultra white with paint matched 95 cobra r's. Great look for sure on that body. Always broke necks everywhere.

yes the white on white is my absolute favorite. Especially the Saleens of this body style with the blue decals.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
$1k for a cobra that still runs under its own power? Dude you stole that thing. If you want the cheap/easy way to do the engine and have it still be GOOD, swap in a lower mileage 97/98 Mark VIII engine OR, better yet, get one out of an 03-05 Aviator and get the 96-98 lower to 99-up Cobra intake adapter from this site so you don't have to replace the intake or EGR or throttle assembly or anything with the 99-up stuff.

Transmissions in these cars were shit. The T45 was terrible longevity wise from 96-98 and they did some improvements in 99-01 but they still kinda suck. If you want the T45 rebuilt get in touch with Stan at Pro Force Performance in Atlanta. Unless you know a REAL reputable shop locally that will do all the fixes and replace the forks with billet ones... Or just buy a Magnum...

Rear end the SRA is what it is... if you want a drag car just beef it up and roll, if you want handling you'll need to 3 link or swap to IRS.

The rest of it is just basic... these cars exterior are like everything else and interior wise everything comes apart real easy. Parts are cheap and plentiful and since you already have the 4V to start with you are ahead of the game.

So congrats on the Cobra, I've had the 94/95 style Cobra, the 96-98, I've got a 4V swapped 00 and I had multiple foxes growing up. Post up if you need any help. Really cool that you are doing this with your kid. I'm stationed overseas now with the family but if/when I get orders back my daughter is 11 and I am definitely going to take the same sort of track you are. Get a nice clean Mustang 94-04 and then build it together for when she gets her license. She already helps me work on the 00 and its not little shit either...

brucesvt

Established Member
Congrats on both new additions to the family. And great score on the cobra

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations! Very nice Cobra. And congratulations on your young son, too. Yeah, soon enough you'll be cruising with him. I really like the Cougar. I'm sure you have a lot of memories of your dad attached to it.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Congrats this will be an great project for you and your son as he gets older.

JB85

Established Member
A 69 Cougar!...I hate you...;-)

haha not a car you see to often. It’s like the forgotten mustang. Fun fact, the cougar was actually named the mustang and the mustang was named the cougar. Then ford decided to swap names with mercury.

JB85

Established Member
$1k for a cobra that still runs under its own power? Dude you stole that thing. If you want the cheap/easy way to do the engine and have it still be GOOD, swap in a lower mileage 97/98 Mark VIII engine OR, better yet, get one out of an 03-05 Aviator and get the 96-98 lower to 99-up Cobra intake adapter from this site so you don't have to replace the intake or EGR or throttle assembly or anything with the 99-up stuff.

Transmissions in these cars were shit. The T45 was terrible longevity wise from 96-98 and they did some improvements in 99-01 but they still kinda suck. If you want the T45 rebuilt get in touch with Stan at Pro Force Performance in Atlanta. Unless you know a REAL reputable shop locally that will do all the fixes and replace the forks with billet ones... Or just buy a Magnum...

Rear end the SRA is what it is... if you want a drag car just beef it up and roll, if you want handling you'll need to 3 link or swap to IRS.

The rest of it is just basic... these cars exterior are like everything else and interior wise everything comes apart real easy. Parts are cheap and plentiful and since you already have the 4V to start with you are ahead of the game.

So congrats on the Cobra, I've had the 94/95 style Cobra, the 96-98, I've got a 4V swapped 00 and I had multiple foxes growing up. Post up if you need any help. Really cool that you are doing this with your kid. I'm stationed overseas now with the family but if/when I get orders back my daughter is 11 and I am definitely going to take the same sort of track you are. Get a nice clean Mustang 94-04 and then build it together for when she gets her license. She already helps me work on the 00 and its not little shit either...

Thanks for the tips!! I think my ultimate goal would be to get this motor to 400hp naturally aspirated. I think it’s just enough power for a 16 year old kid that won’t get him into too much trouble. I’ll be sure to hit you up as I start the tear down/build of the motor!

there’s an excellent shop in my stated called Brads Custom auto. For 30 years they have only focused on mustangs abs vettes and they are one of the leading coyote swap places in the state too. I’ll be sending my motor there when it comes time to build

JB85

Established Member
Congratulations! Very nice Cobra. And congratulations on your young son, too. Yeah, soon enough you'll be cruising with him. I really like the Cougar. I'm sure you have a lot of memories of your dad attached to it.

I cannot wait to cruise side by side with him! Maybe I should paint the cobra the same grabber blue lol

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Thanks for the tips!! I think my ultimate goal would be to get this motor to 400hp naturally aspirated. I think it’s just enough power for a 16 year old kid that won’t get him into too much trouble. I’ll be sure to hit you up as I start the tear down/build of the motor!

there’s an excellent shop in my stated called Brads Custom auto. For 30 years they have only focused on mustangs abs vettes and they are one of the leading coyote swap places in the state too. I’ll be sending my motor there when it comes time to build

400 isn't gonna happen NA unless you go ham and spend a lot of money. Or swap a Coyote... which honestly as cheap as JY running Coyotes are these days is not a terrible option.

That said, a 16 year old can get in a ton of trouble with just a healthy 4V and some gears. Throw some 4.10s or (better) 4.30s at these motors and they can really haul ass. They love to rev and a 7k+ redline means you won't run out of gear super fast like you do on a 2V. I have a JY 4V engine in my 00 GT and I beat the hell out of it. Tuner set the redline to 7500, it won't overrev at that but its losing power after 6800 or so, I generally shift it around that if I'm really running it out.

shurur

Established Member
This is a list of effective na mods..

NASVT Recipe fixed!!!
NA ~300 RWHP with 96-98 DOHC B-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydroboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
B-Head SRI
90mm LMAF
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

350 RWHP:
Na svt spec bullet cams properly degreed.
Tune.

The most you can get from the c head cobra is ~370 NA.

As mentioned by others, You will need to go FI or get to 5L NA in order to see 400+.

You can also go with a 3.7 stroker and leave it OEM ~3.5 bore and get 5L.

Last edited:

Poco

Established Member
Nice project! Remember, time is your friend with a project like that. Set some goals so you don't have budget issues. One step at a time. You'll be done before you know it.

JB85

Established Member
400 isn't gonna happen NA unless you go ham and spend a lot of money. Or swap a Coyote... which honestly as cheap as JY running Coyotes are these days is not a terrible option.

That said, a 16 year old can get in a ton of trouble with just a healthy 4V and some gears. Throw some 4.10s or (better) 4.30s at these motors and they can really haul ass. They love to rev and a 7k+ redline means you won't run out of gear super fast like you do on a 2V. I have a JY 4V engine in my 00 GT and I beat the hell out of it. Tuner set the redline to 7500, it won't overrev at that but its losing power after 6800 or so, I generally shift it around that if I'm really running it out.

good to know 400hp might be hard to get NA. I think even 350 for a 16 year old would be more than enough. My cougar is pretty much stock (cam, 3:5 gears, posi, and an intake) and I ran a 14.3 back in the day and that was more than enough for me as a 16 year old.

JB85

Established Member
This is a list of effective na mods..

NASVT Recipe fixed!!!
NA ~300 RWHP with 96-98 DOHC B-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydroboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
B-Head SRI
90mm LMAF
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

350 RWHP:
Na svt spec bullet cams properly degreed.
Tune.

The most you can get from the c head cobra is ~370 NA.

As mentioned by others, You will need to go FI or get to 5L NA in order to see 400+.

You can also go with a 3.7 stroker and leave it OEM ~3.5 bore and get 5L.

I like the idea of adding a bunch of internal parts and a cam and headers. To me thag would just be the perfect amount of power and he could still daily drive it to school and around town

JB85

Established Member
Nice project! Remember, time is your friend with a project like that. Set some goals so you don't have budget issues. One step at a time. You'll be done before you know it.

I got bored last night and made an excel spreadsheet of every part I want to start collecting. Down to the door / window gaskets. Spent a few hundred in ebay last night buying a bunch of NOS parts too.
I think I’ll start buying suspension parts first, then interior, because the interior needs to be completely re done and I hate the tan and black combo. I want all black, then I’ll rebuild the motor and do the paint last. We have a friend locally that has only restored mustangs for the last 30+ years so I’ll have him paint the car.

Users who are viewing this thread