1st vs 2nd Gen 2.3 Whipple

Ralo

Established Member
I've done some reading and from what I understand the 2 basically spins easier so you get more boost with less effort. Would the power be much different at equal boost and can the 1 be spun as hard? Are there any common problems with the 1st gen that caused them to make the 2nd?

mach1033

Established Member
The gen 1 hits just as hard as the gen 2. The Gen 2 does not outshine the Gen 1. The only difference is the amount of boost it makes with the same pulley size. The Gen 2's run just as hot as the Gen 1's at the track. I assume that you will be buying used and my advice is dont over look a gen 1 strictly because its a gen 1. I made great power with mine at 21lbs of boost and with the stock TB.

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
I agree. My gen 1 made 636 rwhp and 590 tq at 19-20 lbs with a 2.8 rr pulley and stock lower. Stock motor.

Ralo

Established Member
The gen 1 hits just as hard as the gen 2. The Gen 2 does not outshine the Gen 1. The only difference is the amount of boost it makes with the same pulley size. The Gen 2's run just as hot as the Gen 1's at the track. I assume that you will be buying used and my advice is dont over look a gen 1 strictly because its a gen 1. I made great power with mine at 21lbs of boost and with the stock TB.

What did you make at that boost and what gas?
I'm looking at a gen1 with the sight glass. What pulley setup would be needed on a gen1 for 18-19#

cbr repsol

Established Member
I'm looking at a gen1 with the sight glass. What pulley setup would be needed on a gen1 for 18-19#

I bought his old gen 1..if I remember right he was in the 630s rwhp wise on 93 pump with torco to the mix.

When I put a 3 inch upper on it I made 16#s at 552 rwhp on 91. To get 18 to 19 I would think a 2.8 pulley would do it for u.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I have a recently rebuilt 2300AX model which I guess is early gen1, or even pre gen1 because it has the Billet discharge plate, and Lysholm rotors. It makes a solid 18 psi with 3" upper only. One thing that does make a difference though is whether it is a SBTB, or dual blade. The SBTB version flows more air so it makes a bit more boost for any given pulley size.

Colt .45

Established Member
I have a recently rebuilt 2300AX model which I guess is early gen1, or even pre gen1 because it has the Billet discharge plate, and Lysholm rotors. It makes a solid 18 psi with 3" upper only. One thing that does make a difference though is whether it is a SBTB, or dual blade. The SBTB version flows more air so it makes a bit more boost for any given pulley size.

Strange, Im barely getting 16 psi with my Gen2 and a 3.0 pulley. I have a single blade throttle body as well.

03sm3341

Established Member
Lysholm gen 1 whipple here. Love it! 3.5 upper 4lb lower 17.5 lbs of boost gt cams on 93 630hp 570tq all day
67da79e9.jpg

mach1033

Established Member

I had a 3.0 upper and 4lb lower. Like CBR mentioned I was on pump 93/torco mix. I hit 641rwhp and with a single blade im sure I would have been over 650 but who knows. I had that blower for 5 years and it never gave me an issue. It made CBR's car come to life :burnout:

Ralo

Established Member
Is there anything I should look for that could be a sign of wear or a hard life?

black 10th vert

Established Member
Is there anything I should look for that could be a sign of wear or a hard life?

unfortunately, unless you can hear it run before you buy, you won't really know until it's installed. I learned this the hard way, after putting in a ton of work detailing, and refinishing mine. Sometimes you can spin the pulley and listen for the bearings not being smooth, but generally it's the high rpm spinning that the engine subjects it to that will really show the sounds of worn parts.

03sm3341

Established Member
A note a lysholm built whipple is louder at idle than a actual gen 1 or gen 2 whipple. here's a vid so you can hear what im talking about. Skip to the 1:22 mark
th_73ce4fe8.jpg

This a is a lysholm built one. Note the lack of a sight glass and different looking case.
017.jpg

Last edited:

Colt .45

Established Member
You sure its a 3.0 pulley? 3.5 pulley and 4# lower, I make around 18-19 depending on weather.. Do you have long tubes?

No longtubes. Just an offroad x on the exhaust side. JLT high boost intake and a single blade throttle body on the intake side.
Here is the pulley I put on:
IMG_0975.gif

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I have had both. They both perform great. Fing the best deal. Don't get caught up in gen I vs gen II. Better to worry about mileage and abuse.

Users who are viewing this thread