2.3 Whipple Install Tips

Blown5pnt4

Established Member
Hey guys, since I have a 2.3 whipple showing up monday and plan to install it hopefully this coming weekend I was hoping to get some tips for the install. I got quoted at $300 to have it installed and I just would rather do it myself. I heard that the hardest part is all the vaccum hook ups cuz of the shitty directions lol. I plan on installing it with my EGR and Boost Bypass mostly because I cant get around needing them come inspection time in NYS. Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. :banana::pepper::beer::dancenana:

I'D WIN

Established Member
You gotta have it in hand first before you can do anything. lol

BTW, Whipple has since fixed their vacuum diagram from the initial run of instructions.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Do a search on bolts. There are 2 Whipple supplied bolts that are to short, you want to reuse 2 of the ford bolts for the install of the blower to the intake.

Blown5pnt4

Established Member
Bring it down here Josh. I work for beer.:beer:
LoL Eric, thats kinda tempting.......Long hike though....Your just outside MD in northern VA right ? Would be a hell of a long ride back not being able to get on it too cuz of not being retuned for the whipple yet too...But you never know.

Oh guys I forgot to mention I'll also be installing a JLP Blower spacer at the same time. Johnny says its not thick enough to need longer bolts but I had heard something about needing 2 without the spacer.......Should I buy a set of all new longer bolts ? If so how long and what thread count. The spacer is just under a 1/2".

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
I don't think the spacer will be of any real benefit, but definately re-use two of the Ford mid-plate bolts... they both go on the pasenger side of the motor. One goes in the first hole and the other goes in the fourth (both go where the dow pins are located). If you use the spacer I suspect you'll need all new bolts but I may be wrong. You may be able to get away with the Ford bolts with the spacer but I doubt it.

As already mentioned, change the plugs and you may as well clean the IC since it will off the truck anyways... I did. Are you upgrading the injectors also? Good time to do it as well.

Last edited:

Blown5pnt4

Established Member
I already have 60s.....I basically have all the needed upgrades that are needed. This is just the last peice to the puzzle. The spacer I dont know if it will make any diff at all but I figured for the cheap price of it I might as well try it out. The theory behind it is sound...lol. Thanks for the suggestions. I planned on changing the plugs and cleaning the IC while I was at it as well....

Would you happen to know what thread I would need for those bolts.. ?

I'D WIN

Established Member
I use to have a document with every bolt size/thread pitch and torque spec but I can't find it. I'm looking though.

Users who are viewing this thread