2.3L vs 2.9L Whipple recommendations

01yellercobra

Established Member
Great thread!
I like reading opinions on these blowers from owners that actually own them.
I’m still rockin a pullied Heaton on my Termy and starting to get gapped by newer NA stuff with bolt ons and tunes on a regular.

As tempting as the price is for the Whipple 2.3 on sale it’s the other supporting mods that I would need that get expensive. (fuel, clutch, input shaft, head cooling mod, tune, etc) especially in Canada.
I also have a 10th so not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole for mods with it.

I have a fox body for play and it’s a beast. It’s more set up for drag but a street car that I recently converted to auto with a 4R70W trans.
Depending on how you drive the stock clutch and input shaft will live for a long time behind a Whipple. If it's a cruiser with the occasional rolling hit, they'll last. 4k clutch dumps at the track....not so much.

Fuel mods all depend on what fuel you'll end up running.

WidowrRacing

Established Member
That’s exactly it….I’m still rollin stock clutch, fuel pump etc…just have bolt ons and tune with some suspension mods. Car makes 480/470 but when cruising and hot it’s more like 420/400 I’m sure and thats not very competitive VS newer stuff.

I would replace when required but would upgrade at same time.

In Canada we have 94 at the pumps so it’s tuned for that only.

slow98cobra

Established Member
Nope

Sent from my SM-S536DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Well darn. If it is somebody here, then congrats. It is probably some rich dude with a bidet that convinces teachers they should educate kids on the 138 different genders. Us midwest folks are just out here trying to go fast and solidify our retirement account by playing Keno at the gas station.

Goocher0310th

Established Member
I saw on the FB page a gen2 2.3 TVS for sale with an Accufab TB for 3200 this am. i Believe it was on the 03/04 parts page. Just a heads up for anyone as they dont come up for sale often.

Edit it is still for sale the sellers name is David Muchacho Alegre Villavicencio

it is located in CA.

Last edited:

gotjack

Established Member
I went with the 2.3 whipple this summer with the stock throttle body. Car put down 627 rear with 17.5 pounds on 93. Now I’m thinking I should have went with the 2.9 haha but summer time was reading lots of people went with 2.3 for weekend car for cruises etc

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

slow98cobra

Established Member
I went with the 2.3 whipple this summer with the stock throttle body. Car put down 627 rear with 17.5 pounds on 93. Now I’m thinking I should have went with the 2.9 haha but summer time was reading lots of people went with 2.3 for weekend car for cruises etc

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Switch over to E and turn it up a little! I think you can get near or at 700 on more boost with the liquid gold.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I made 714/680 with an old ass Gen2 2.3 at 22 psi with a 2.6 upper/ stock lower, stock intake tube, stock MAF, stock exhaust manifolds, Magnaflow Catted X, Twin GT Pumps, Fore Hat, Dual FPDM, -8 Fuel Feed Line, Boost-A-Pump tuned to MAX, Wiring upgrade. It was making that since 2008. Still runs perfect today.

That being said, blower technology, fuel system technology, and 20 years of tuning these cars, has shown me what's possible.

I tuned a Gen3 2.9 Whipple at 21 psi that made 924 RWHP so. (yes it was a built motor but still)

Tuned a built 10.7:1 CR motor with a Lysholm 3.3L Vortech Blower that made 851/704 on only 14.5 psi of boost! That was more than 12 years ago.

My how times change.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
On that old spreadsheet with different mod combos and dyno numbers the highest 2.3L Whipple on the list dynoed at 752WHP, I think it did that on 22 PSI, E85, cams, and a full exhaust. I plan on doing that minus the cams for now so I'm hoping to make 700+ on a 2.3L Whipple.

Sent from my SM-S536DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

gotjack

Established Member
Switch over to E and turn it up a little! I think you can get near or at 700 on more boost with the liquid gold.

Wanted to stay with 93. And worried I’ll put too much pressure on the motor with more boost? No? I don’t race the car just summer nights out etc . I live in Illinois so I store it winter time

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

slow98cobra

Established Member
Wanted to stay with 93. And worried I’ll put too much pressure on the motor with more boost? No? I don’t race the car just summer nights out etc . I live in Illinois so I store it winter time

I can’t speak from first hand experience yet but I think plenty of folks have good success with more boost and E on a stock motor. I will say I can tell the difference on even my ported and pullied eaton between the 91 and E tunes. Maybe you don’t need to turn it up to much more but just switch fuels? I’m enjoying seeing all the folks on this thread chime in. Lots of first hand experience with a lot of different setups.

gotjack

Established Member
I can’t speak from first hand experience yet but I think plenty of folks have good success with more boost and E on a stock motor. I will say I can tell the difference on even my ported and pullied eaton between the 91 and E tunes. Maybe you don’t need to turn it up to much more but just switch fuels? I’m enjoying seeing all the folks on this thread chime in. Lots of first hand experience with a lot of different setups.

Would I have to change my fuel system? Or just fuel and tune?

slow98cobra

Established Member
Depends upon what you are rolling now. Just based upon the info I have read here, I would recommend some ID1050xs and a Fore lvl1E or lethal budget return kit.

gotjack

Established Member
Depends upon what you are rolling now. Just based upon the info I have read here, I would recommend some ID1050xs and a Fore lvl1E or lethal budget return kit.

Yes I have the id 1050 injectors but will stick with 93 for now return kit will probably cost atleast $1k would rather do big brake kit first

slow98cobra

Established Member
Yes I have the id 1050 injectors but will stick with 93 for now return kit will probably cost atleast $1k would rather do big brake kit first

You’re making good power already so makes sense to me! My eaton is fun and pulls good but it was just time for a little more punch.

Users who are viewing this thread