2.8 KB vs 2.9 Whipple

boost4u

Established Member
Ok, everyone pick sides and let the games begin...

I've decided to take the plunge and pick one of the two kits as my stage II just isn't making it for me. I like the quality of the KB 2.8 as I have seen it in person and have great confidence in KB with my experience with his products on my GN.

The 2.9L Whipple can however be mounted without the hood notch, and still use the strut tower brace. Additionally, I've been told I can still use my C & L intake & SCT, therefore it will go for less $$. What do you guys think? KB's proven quality & cost vs the new Whipple 2.9? Thanks!

sfadchi

Established Member
2.9L Whipple FTW!

3.25 Pulley on pump gas!
325Pulley.jpg

3.00 Pulley on pump gas with some Torco put in!
3Pulley.jpg

boost4u

Established Member
Well by using the C&L and my SCT, I can save about $800 on the whole Whipple setup. The Whipple kit will include 72lbs injectors, monoblade, 2.9 and tune. The KB just uses the boostapump.

Is the install & quality of fittment tune etc as good on the whipple as the "out of the box" KB?

Whats your thoughts on the monoblade vs dual port KB throttle body for streetability?

rdsnk46

Established Member
The KB install is second to none! The cost may be higher but you get what you pay for! Billet blower case instead of a cast housing. Less parasitic loss with the KB over the Whipple. The draw back is hood clearance, I used a spacer kit as I was not going to cut my hood. I had the 3.4 Whipple and the results were great but the KB is higher quality when it comes to design and installation. I have installed both kits on my car, the Whipple seems as it hits a ceiling were the KB continues to climb in power on the top is the best way I can exsplain it. I hope I can give you insight from my perspective.

Last edited:

Blaine

Established Member
The KB install is second to none! The cost may be higher but you get what you pay for! Billet blower case instead of a cast housing. Less parasitic loss with the KB over the Whipple. The draw back is hood clearance, I used a spacer kit as I was not going to cut my hood. I had the 3.4 Whipple and the results were great but the KB is higher quality when it comes to design and installation. I have installed both kits on my car, the Whipple seems as it hits a ceiling were the KB continues to climb in power on the top is the best way I can exsplain it. I hope I can give you insight from my perspective.

I've yet to see a dyno graph showing KB with less parasitic loss. I've looked at alot of dynos and compared them. So far its showing the 2.9 Whipple with a bit more Power at the same boost with similiar mods. :shrug: Its a 2.9L vs a 2.8L supercharger.. those two are in the same ballpark and its pretty much personal preference.

If your concluding the 3.4 whipple makes less power than a 2.8L KB...:dw: Those dyno comparisons I have seen between the two are not even in the same ballpark. 3.4 Whipple just buries the KB. Whipple 3.4 needs about 18lbs of boost to hit 750 rwhp. Kenne Bell needs well over 22lbs of boost with Race Fuel to even come close to 750 rwhp.:read: 3.4 Whipple doesn't even need race fuel for the 800 rwhp mark. Remember the newer 3.4 Whipples use the new rotors... maybe more efficient than the older style 3.4? :shrug:

DynoTestSummary.gif

Unless there are some Top Secret Dyno sheets I have never seen with Kenne Bells superchargers? Post them. I'd love to see more.:pop:

Last edited:

manOwar

Established Member
I've yet to see a dyno graph showing KB with less parasitic loss. I've looked at alot of dynos and compared them. So far its showing the 2.9 Whipple with a bit more Power at the same boost with similiar mods. :shrug: Its a 2.9L vs a 2.8L supercharger.. those two are in the same ballpark and its pretty much personal preference.

If your concluding the 3.4 whipple makes less power than a 2.8L KB...:dw: Those dyno comparisons I have seen between the two are not even in the same ballpark. 3.4 Whipple just buries the KB. Whipple 3.4 needs about 18lbs of boost to hit 750 rwhp. Kenne Bell needs well over 22lbs of boost with Race Fuel to even come close to 750 rwhp.:read: 3.4 Whipple doesn't even need race fuel for the 800 rwhp mark. Remember the newer 3.4 Whipples use the new rotors... maybe more efficient than the older style 3.4? :shrug:

DynoTestSummary.gif

Unless there are some Top Secret Dyno sheets I have never seen with Kenne Bells superchargers? Post them. I'd love to see more.:pop:

My 750 is on 20 psi and pump gas.

boost4u

Established Member
Anyone with the new 2.9L Whipple care to chime in? Is the KB worth about 20% more based on the install quality? Do you think re-using my C&L intake will make less power than the Whipple intake, if so it would make the difference in the two kits just several hundred dollars.

2003 Silver

Banned
I'm guessing the billet housing will retain heat more so than a cast housing...sound correct or negligible? I do like the look of the KB better...mean looking!

rdsnk46

Established Member
I had the 2nd gen. Whipple on my car and my car made 712 on 93 and 760 on C16 in 85* Fl air 20.0 psi stock 3.5 upper from Whipple, I run a 3in. upper and a 10% OD lower on my KB which I was told was 21.5 psi. My car is in the low 800hp range with C16 and a Jon Lund tune. Power numbers dont mean anything if the car does not perform! I would never get caught up in a numbers game....... People have plenty of dyno sheets with 700+ hp but there cars dont run fast........I can only give someone my knowlegde on the situations that have occured on my car! With so many variables like different combos and tuners, no 2 are usally the same. What I do know is I run my car @ the track and those are the numbers that matter to me because I'm a drag racer. I put it to the test constantly and require every little bit of performance from the car. My times reflect, I race faster with my setup than 99.9% of GT500 owners. Soon I will regain the .1% and be the fastest!!!!

Last edited:

Blaine

Established Member
Anyone with the new 2.9L Whipple care to chime in? Is the KB worth about 20% more based on the install quality? Do you think re-using my C&L intake will make less power than the Whipple intake, if so it would make the difference in the two kits just several hundred dollars.

I think the whipple intakes looks butt ugly. Difference can't be much. Keep the C & L.

Also rdsnk46 what is your mod list.... ? I know your car is HIGHLY modded. With serious weightloss. But anyway Rdsnk46 is proof that even the Kenne bells can put down some big numbers as well, and it is your job to support KB since you are sponsored by them. I believe rdsnk46 was one of the few who had one of the bad whipples which had a major whipple malfunction and came apart.:read:

Good job on the car rdsnk46. Kenne bell needs more built GT500's putting down some good numbers since the whipples are over taking the GT500 population.

I'm done. I don't even support whipple either.:pop: Let a Whipple owner/sponser take over.:poke: I just crunch numbers.

Last edited:

AlCaPwn

Established Member
Man, I have been waiting for this debate lol. It had to happen sooner or later. I think they both rock, though I have more experiance with KB on '03 Cobras. Definately doesn't seem to be one of those things where you get one and wish you had the other for anyone on either side.

rdsnk46

Established Member
I think the whipple intakes looks butt ugly. Difference can't be much. Keep the C & L.

Also rdsnk46 what is your mod list.... ? I know your car is HIGHLY modded. With serious weightloss. But anyway Rdsnk46 is proof that even the Kenne bells can put down some big numbers as well, and it is your job to support KB since you are sponsored by them. I believe rdsnk46 was one of the few who had one of the bad whipples which had a major whipple malfunction and came apart.:read:

Good job on the car rdsnk46. Kenne bell needs more built GT500's putting down some good numbers since the whipples are over taking the GT500 population.
Thanks man, it takes alot!

Whipple treated me well and adressed all my concerns, I have no issue with them!

I've just begun the weight reduction and it's around the 110 lb. mark give or take. The scale at the track was in need of a recalibration and was not in service last night.
:cuss:

Factory Long block-stock clutch-factory trans. My definition and your definition of highly modified is different. My car is in the early stages of reaching it's full potential. I've been putting some effort in to getting my car to go fast but I can only controll some, not all of the variables so I continue..

KB 2.8H 3 in. upper IW 10% lower
72lbs w/ KB dual BAP
BMR-K member w/A-Arms
QA1 Coil overs and Adj. rears
Afco H/E - Moroso Resi.
ARH 1-3/4 LT's w/ X-pipe
Steeda UCA /LCA's brace and pan w/reloc.
3:73's
CCW 18x6 SP20's and 17x10.5 Classic rears
MT 26x6x18 front radials and M&H 325/45/17 drag radials
Boost/fuel/Wide band on the pilar

Soon to have the RevanRacing H/E

Bolt on's!

Just trying out what works, there are great products out on the market. I'm just finding out what works best for me!:coolman:

boost4u

Established Member
rdsnak46,

I gather that you would steer me to KB 2.8 stage III kit then? I to spend my time at the drag strip not the dyno. I appreciate the " dyno numbers" however the only numbers I'm really interested in is my E.T.'s and MPH's. I'm hoping to be able to have a 10 sec pump gas street machine.

Anyone with the 2.9L Whipples have any comments to make.

Blaine

Established Member
Thanks man, it takes alot!

Whipple treated me well and adressed all my concerns, I have no issue with them!

I've just begun the weight reduction and it's around the 110 lb. mark give or take. The scale at the track was in need of a recalibration and was not in service last night.
:cuss:

Factory Long block-stock clutch-factory trans. My definition and your definition of highly modified is different. My car is in the early stages of reaching it's full potential. I've been putting some effort in to getting my car to go fast but I can only controll some, not all of the variables so I continue..

KB 2.8H 3 in. upper IW 10% lower
72lbs w/ KB dual BAP
BMR-K member w/A-Arms
QA1 Coil overs and Adj. rears
Afco H/E - Moroso Resi.
ARH 1-3/4 LT's w/ X-pipe
Steeda UCA /LCA's brace and pan w/reloc.
3:73's
CCW 18x6 SP20's and 17x10.5 Classic rears
MT 26x6x18 front radials and M&H 325/45/17 drag radials
Boost/fuel/Wide band on the pilar

Soon to have the RevanRacing H/E

Bolt on's!

Just trying out what works, there are great products out on the market. I'm just finding out what works best for me!:coolman:

Glad to see your addressing the weight issue as well instead of just throwing on more power like most.

Your weight reduction is probabely more than you think. The coilovers alone should be good for over 60lbs+ over stock. I'm guessing you have an Alum. Driveshaft? -27lbs. K member + A-arms -31lbs Wheels -?? lbs. Control arms -~12lbs......

Only downside is the numbers I CAN'T FIND: Weight supercharger upgrade adds +?? lbs. Weight HE upgrade adds +??lbs.

If you only use your car in the 1/4 mile. Switching to Strange drag brake kit is good for over 76.3 lbs and alot of it in rotating mass off the FRONT of the car!!!! and its only a 600.00 kit.:beer: Those big pretty looking Brembo/Baer brake kits ADD TONS of weight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread