2.8 KB vs 2.9 Whipple

rdsnk46

Established Member
Glad to see your addressing the weight issue as well instead of just throwing on more power like most.

Your weight reduction is probabely more than you think. The coilovers alone should be good for over 60lbs+ over stock. I'm guessing you have an Alum. Driveshaft? -27lbs. K member + A-arms -31lbs Wheels -?? lbs. Control arms -~12lbs......

Only downside is the numbers I CAN'T FIND: Weight supercharger upgrade adds +?? lbs. Weight HE upgrade adds +??lbs.

If you only use your car in the 1/4 mile. Switching to Strange drag brake kit is good for over 76.3 lbs and alot of it in rotating mass off the FRONT of the car!!!! and its only a 600.00 kit.:beer: Those big pretty looking Brembo/Baer brake kits ADD TONS of weight.

Not sure about the brake swap yet..... Aluminum short block FTW!

skyhighsd

Established Member
Kenne bell needs more built GT500's putting down some good numbers since the whipples are over taking the GT500 population.

I'm sorry but I would willing to put some money on the fact that there are more 2.8 cars out there than 3.4's that may change with the new 2.9. Just look at all of the cars that shelby puts out plus there are a lot of guys with them that are not on the forums.

Blaine if I ever heal from this damn surgery I am going to have some numbers for you I have all of my brake parts together to get rid of these damn big ass brakes:lol1:

I have to put a vote in for the KB I love mine wouldnt change it for the world:rockon:

SlwSVT

Established Member
I think the real key here is the tune or tuner. It would be nice to see to identical setups on the dyno one with the Kenne Bell and one with the Whipple. Then let the same tuner work his magic.

Coonsnake

Established Member
I made 706 hp and 680 tq with the following mods and only 20* of timing on pump gas and 18.5 psi in 95* south Louisiana shop:

3.4 whipple w/3.75 upper
Kooks headers with offroad y-pipe
Magnaflow 3'' xhaust
80lb ford injectors
stock throttle body
Cobra jet Mass air housing
Aluminum D/S
Stock gears
Innovators west 4lb pulley
Stanghi (cody) custom tune
Afco heat-x

Plan on doing the cobra jet T/B in the future. Just a side note, I drove the car 1400 miles to Atco, NJ to the NMRA. I got 18.5 miles per gallon doing 85 with two passengers slick and luggage. Got to the track and ran a 11.1 @ 131 with a 2.00 sixty foot. I kno im not the fastest but i like the reliability of the blower and Stanghi tune

rdsnk46

Established Member
I made 706 hp and 680 tq with the following mods and only 20* of timing on pump gas and 18.5 psi in 95* south Louisiana shop:

3.4 whipple w/3.75 upper
Magnaflow 3'' xhaust
80lb ford injectors
stock throttle body
Aluminum D/S
Stock gears
Afco heat-x

Plan on doing the cobra jet T/B in the future. Just a side note, I drove the car 1400 miles to Atco, NJ to the NMRA. I got 18.5 miles per gallon doing 85 with two passengers slick and luggage. Got to the track and ran a 11.1 @ 131 with a 2.00 sixty foot. I kno im not the fastest but i like the reliability of the blower and Stanghi tune
Nice!
The IW 10%OD is a great piece! It definatly made a difference on my car!

Coonsnake

Established Member
Yea i am pleased with it to. On stock blower with same buts but steeda cai and 2.6 upper it made 30hp and 50tq all the way across the rpm range but only like 10 peak hp though. Very user freindly power gaind

Grunnsetning

Established Member

3.4 whipple w/3.75 upper
Magnaflow 3'' xhaust
80lb ford injectors
stock throttle body
Aluminum D/S
Stock gears
Afco heat-x

Did Stanghi do all of your installation and where did you purchase the whipple etc? Do they sell those also?

Coonsnake

Established Member
I did the install myelf. I puchased the whipple and engine lowering kit from JDM. Stanghi can get all of that stuff. Cody @ Stanghi is an awesome tuner!

sfadchi

Established Member
rdsnak46,

I gather that you would steer me to KB 2.8 stage III kit then? I to spend my time at the drag strip not the dyno. I appreciate the " dyno numbers" however the only numbers I'm really interested in is my E.T.'s and MPH's. I'm hoping to be able to have a 10 sec pump gas street machine.

Anyone with the 2.9L Whipples have any comments to make.

If track times matter most to you then the debate on the blower really does not matter. I attribute Andy's success to his very good driving abilities, suspensions set up, and minor tweaks he has made to make his car launch like a MUTHER! I think both the blowers are great! I personally love my 2.9L and it feels very strong on the street. Now that I had the 3.73's installed I will most likely have a high 10 second run my next track appearance. As far as I'm concerned that's a great track time! I don't thing you could go wrong either way, but I do know the Whipple is more affordable.

Blaine

Established Member
If track times matter most to you then the debate on the blower really does not matter. I attribute Andy's success to his very good driving abilities, suspensions set up, and minor tweaks he has made to make his car launch like a MUTHER! I think both the blowers are great! I personally love my 2.9L and it feels very strong on the street. Now that I had the 3.73's installed I will most likely have a high 10 second run my next track appearance. As far as I'm concerned that's a great track time! I don't thing you could go wrong either way, but I do know the Whipple is more affordable.

Thats true. People have ran in the 10's on the STOCK supercharger. So I'd say 90% of your time has to do with your suspension setup and Driving ability.

rdsnk46

Established Member
Thats true. People have ran in the 10's on the STOCK supercharger. So I'd say 90% of your time has to do with your suspension setup and Driving ability.

The difference is I'm running on radials and guys running 10's with the stock blowers are on slicks. DR's mid 1.5's 60' were as slicks you can cut bottom 1.4's. I hope to be there on radials soon, belive me when I tell you I'm on the job trying to getthis beast going in the 60......:bash:

When I get the car there( 1.4's 60') the ET's will be worth it!:rockon:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
this debate sure gave alot of good info. but not really any price comparisons

Spitfire_GT

Back in the saddle
Established Member
I had a KB 2.2 on my GT and loved it! But I wouldn't hesitate to try the 2.9 whipple on my GT500. If it meets your goals and you save some dough, do it. They have both proven themselves as companies IMO

MYGT500

Established Member
Although i've never dyno'd my car,and i'm prob not the quickest driver,i've run some 11.6 at 128,on my KB, on DR..The problem with a KB is the high torque,hard to hook up in street trim..I know if I used slicks ,my first run would be in the 10's..The MPH tells me this

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
good lord! some of the dyno's in this thread are out right ridiculous! 700-775 with 20psi or less?!?!

damn, looks like I need to do a 5.4 swap with gt500 heads in my Cobra!

Blaine

Established Member
good lord! some of the dyno's in this thread are out right ridiculous! 700-775 with 20psi or less?!?!

damn, looks like I need to do a 5.4 swap with gt500 heads in my Cobra!

Just wait til more GT500's with built bottom ends start posting their numbers. :rolling:

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
this debate sure gave alot of good info. but not really any price comparisons

honestly for me, i didn't even check prices, the big factor for me was the sound of a KB. I love that high pitch scream that lets you know something badass is going on. the whipple is good for a sleeper though, i had buddies with both blowers on 03 cobras and you can say the KB just sang to me and I love every minute of it. I love to just get back about a car and half behind someone and then blow the doors off, the look on their face of "WTF" is priceless

rdsnk46

Established Member
honestly for me, i didn't even check prices, the big factor for me was the sound of a KB. I love that high pitch scream that lets you know something badass is going on. the whipple is good for a sleeper though, i had buddies with both blowers on 03 cobras and you can say the KB just sang to me and I love every minute of it. I love to just get back about a car and half behind someone and then blow the doors off, the look on their face of "WTF" is priceless

(Cars racing) "Holy shit look out, sounds like a freight train is coming!"(A Kenne Bell GT500 blows by) LOL!:burnout:

boost4u

Established Member
Well its over I ordered the KB 2.8 today:pepper: Thanks to TJ and everyone at KB! I"m sure Whipple makes a good product but, KB's customer service, excellent install quality (thanks MYGT500 for the preview) was enough for me to decide. Not to mention they do sound ridiculous!! Hopefully, the kit will be here by the weekend, looks like its going to be another couple late nights in the garage.

Users who are viewing this thread