2.8 Kenne bell too much ?

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
So i have found myself a 2.8 kb non mammoth, for a good price. My only concern is that it will be too much for my fairly stock set up. I have 60's ,sct mass air, and a bap currently. the deal is too good to pass up as i will be getting it for around the same price i could pick up a used 2.2. I drive this car 100% street and don't get me wrong i have fun with it from time to time but it is more of the cruise to the beach/ lets go to a nice dinner car. With a 3.5 upper it says i will be around 17lbs of boost.(a pulley to boost charge would help i can't seem to find one...) i wanted to hit the 600rwhp mark but i am not sure if that will cut it. switching the the 3.25 would be 21psi way to much for what im using the car for. I currently have a ported eaton w/ a 2.76 upper. any suggestions ? I will be rebuilding this before installing as well.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
In the MM & FF mag where they celebrated 20 years of SVT they tested a new VMP 2.3 blower. They were running it with just a BAP and 60's. The car made 575rwhp and when they cranked up the boost even more they said they powered through the stock clutch.

I think a BAP and 60's can handle about 600rwhp. Do you have some SFC's? Also at that power level the input shaft could be a problem, but its only a problem if you have traction.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
well my main concern is that the car will not have the low end umph it currently has with the port. and yes after getting this set up tuned the transmission is being redone 26spline etc. I know the bigger blowers like more psi so my concern is that it will be a "dog" for lack of a better word down low

also lifetime of the stock long block is the MAIN concern i want to see 150k out of this car.

Last edited:

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
the problem is i know the 2.8 can easilly hit 600rwhp but i am not sure if it will shine at 17psi where i could like it.... I am also concerned that it wont have as much low end and just shine up top. I have a stricly track car thats all top end 7300 shift points small block ford and that is fun it just has no butt down low. and thats why i enjoy my 03 so much because it has plenty of that

JStyles

Established Member
I don't think low end thrust will be a problem with any PD blower. Especially compared to an upper-only ported eaton.

I say get it if you want it. You can always change the pulley and do fuel upgrades down the road if you want more power. You'll at least have a good foundation with potential.

Not sure how much you're getting it for, but if I ever swap my blower out it'll be for a TVS. No need to worry about low-end grunt with one of those. Plus you get the Eaton reliability.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
I don't think low end thrust will be a problem with any PD blower. Especially compared to an upper-only ported eaton.

I say get it if you want it. You can always change the pulley and do fuel upgrades down the road if you want more power. You'll at least have a good foundation with potential.

Not sure how much you're getting it for, but if I ever swap my blower out it'll be for a TVS. No need to worry about low-end grunt with one of those. Plus you get the Eaton reliability.

i wanted the tvs but i will be getting this cheaper then a new tvs. I know if you spin these up they can really be impressive but i just don't see that in the near future. This will be fully rebuilt and it only has 5k miles on it as it is with zero issues so i could always sell it and opt for a tvs if i don't like it. Heck there worth almost as much used as some ppl are selling the tvs new. i know through tpsmark you can get a vmp for 3200

JStyles

Established Member
i wanted the tvs but i will be getting this cheaper then a new tvs. I know if you spin these up they can really be impressive but i just don't see that in the near future. This will be fully rebuilt and it only has 5k miles on it as it is with zero issues so i could always sell it and opt for a tvs if i don't like it. Heck there worth almost as much used as some ppl are selling the tvs new. i know through tpsmark you can get a vmp for 3200

All good points. Just ask your tuner what he thinks about your current fuel capabilities, and if it's safe bolt it on.

I can't see you regretting going from a ported eaton to a KB 2.8 - even at "only" 17psi.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
right now i have just a bap and 60's not sure what that will do for me , it seems it is hit and miss there. If i need to upgrade to gt pumps i can but i would rather not have to deal with the hassle of dropping the tank. I guess it wouldn't be a bad time to drop the tank because after this is tuned i plan on rebuilding the trans and my rear needs an overhaul. I have the ftbr kit in the rear but my 355s have bad gear whine so i need to rebuild that anyways

03' White Snake

Established Member
Read my mods. You will be happy. I need to get mine back on a dyno. I made 580hp and 541 tq in dead of summer after 6 pulls. Cool my car will make over 600 no problem.

Buy it if its a good price.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
How was the install? Was there a need to move a lot of things to make it fit it was it pretty simple, I know the egr has to go. I was looking at the 3.25 but seems like the 3.5 is plenty. My friend has a 3.30 rr one I could try out as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
Do you guys have any of your dyno charts? I would like to compare a 2.2 to one of these

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread