2.8 Kenne bell too much ?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Think long and hard before moving from your present motor setup. (A), it is 100% street driven, (B) your driving is mostly easy, and (C), you seem pretty happy with your present setup. You're going to spend a considerable amount of money, including supporting mods, swapping to a TS but you really have no need for it. I could understand if you were racing or were not happy with your present setup. But that doesn't seem to be the case. You appear to be very happy with what you have and what you're doing with the car doesn't necessitate moving up to a more powerful setup. With potentially more issues to deal with down the road. Like I said, think this over long and hard. Why not spend the money on other mods like the suspension, seating, audio, wheels, other appearance mods, etc.? JMO.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
Think long and hard before moving from your present motor setup. (A), it is 100% street driven, (B) your driving is mostly easy, and (C), you seem pretty happy with your present setup. You're going to spend a considerable amount of money, including supporting mods, swapping to a TS but you really have no need for it. I could understand if you were racing or were not happy with your present setup. But that doesn't seem to be the case. You appear to be very happy with what you have and what you're doing with the car doesn't necessitate moving up to a more powerful setup. With potentially more issues to deal with down the road. Like I said, think this over long and hard. Why not spend the money on other mods like the suspension, seating, audio, wheels, other appearance mods, etc.? JMO.

All great points! But my exterior is what I worked on first Afs 18s , h&r springs and window tint, I would like the engine bay to be more show worthy, its very clean now but it doesn't have that wow factor.
Also as far as power goes I have TONS of knuckle heads friends around me that could appreciate a few more car lengths on them then before :burnout:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
And as far as suspension goes I have the full ftbr kit already which is amazing btw my car has never wheel hopped. And as far as audio goes I just installed this for Xmas :D

era7uzu9.jpg

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
All great points! But my exterior is what I worked on first Afs 18s , h&r springs and window tint, I would like the engine bay to be more show worthy, its very clean now but it doesn't have that wow factor.
Also as far as power goes I have TONS of knuckle heads friends around me that could appreciate a few more car lengths on them then before :burnout:

As far as supporting mods go I had already picked them all up last month because I was planning on adding a 4# lower

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
That is a ton a power I had thought about using hp by herman becsuse its close to home . It seems like my concern of it being weak down low has been progen wrong but im still concerned about the effects of spinning that big thing over on my stock car... I guess its barely bigger them the 2.6 kb ppl run

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
I was in the same boat as you a year ago when I had my last cobra. Except I had a 2.2 KB making 585hp and I went to a 2.8H on E85 and made 694hp.

Here's my take on it: if you're going to run low boost (17psi or so) you're not going to be impressed with your car, your eaton will feel more snappy because of the instant torque. KB will make HP up top no doubt, but down low it will be a dog. If you like the "snapped neck" feel of raw torque, the 2.8 at low boost aint going to have it.

So my final thought is if you're going to run low boost its not worth it, seems like you're pretty satisfied with your setup anyway. If you want to run it at 17-18 I'd get something like a TVS or a 2.3 whipple, those make good power and you don't have to spin them hard. However if you plan to turn it up down the road, then the 2.8 will shine

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
I was in the same boat as you a year ago when I had my last cobra. Except I had a 2.2 KB making 585hp and I went to a 2.8H on E85 and made 694hp.

Here's my take on it: if you're going to run low boost (17psi or so) you're not going to be impressed with your car, your eaton will feel more snappy because of the instant torque. KB will make HP up top no doubt, but down low it will be a dog. If you like the "snapped neck" feel of raw torque, the 2.8 at low boost aint going to have it.

So my final thought is if you're going to run low boost its not worth it, seems like you're pretty satisfied with your setup anyway. If you want to run it at 17-18 I'd get something like a TVS or a 2.3 whipple, those make good power and you don't have to spin them hard. However if you plan to turn it up down the road, then the 2.8 will shine

see that is the problem... and the deal on the 2.8 is literally almost too hard to pass up i mean i cant find a used 2.2 for less then what i'll have this for.... rebuilt at that. on top of it i already have a buyer lined up for all of my ported eaton stuff if i want....

my thoughts right now are give it a chance and if it isn't for me, sell it for a 2.3... I would like to run 18lbs on it. stock manifolds. I just don't want to strain my stock block spinning this thing on the street all the time.

Last edited:

Bad99SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I am making 649 rwhp and 560 rwtq with my kenne bell 2.8 blower and it has a behemouth kit not the mammoth and that is on 93 octane with 18* timing.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
Same here. I am pushing about 18 pounds of boost and it blows my stage 6 steiggy out of the water! Go with the 2.8 and you'll be happy!

plenty of low end umph and even more up top ? Im pretty sure im picking it up either tmrw or monday. still have a few things to pick up before i can install whats your set up like ?

Det.Bullitt

Banned
Call Fastlane

plenty of low end umph and even more up top ? Im pretty sure im picking it up either tmrw or monday. still have a few things to pick up before i can install whats your set up like ?

I am not sure about my setup. I just told Taylor at Fastlane to make it fast enough that a new 13 Shelby will not beat me and safe enough that I will not blow it up. Give Fastlane a call in Benson, NC and he will hook you up with a good set up and give you some good advice.

Quick Strike

Established Member
I had thought about using hp by herman because its close to home

I travel 200 miles each way to Herman because there is no one better with KB terminators. He will not let it out of the shop until the tune is perfect. It will have manners and fuel mileage like a stocker (maybe better) until you step on the pedal hard. I bought this car new from the dealer and have a very good longitudinal view by now. I will not go to anyone else for tuning.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
I had already thought about using him and I have seen a few good stories about him on here. My friend actually used to work there a while back. I'm expecting it to be a little costly but I know he does good work

Users who are viewing this thread