2.9 Stock Pulley Size ?

gkviper192

Established Member
What is the size of the pulley that came on my 2.9 whipple ? I'm looking to get a smaller pulley but I'm not sure the size of the one on there now? I'm assuming they all come with the same size pulley. It only made 8.4#s of boost on the dyno

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
That blower comes with a 4.00" pulley from Whipple. Every 1/4" smaller in diameter is roughly +2 psi, this is only a guideline though.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Oh, and I almost forgot, you can always just look at the face of the pulley. I am pretty sure that all Whipple pulleys have the size machined right on the face of the pulley.

Bud

Established Member
anybody know if the pulleys are specific to the 2.9 on a 5.0 or are they interchangeable with 6rib whipple pulleys from other years/models?

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
anybody know if the pulleys are specific to the 2.9 on a 5.0 or are they interchangeable with 6rib whipple pulleys from other years/models?

Wouldn't try it. I know that some of the pulleys for the 2.3 for the 5.0 (and by extension the 2.9 kit for the 5.0 as well) require a spacer for proper fitment (early generation pulleys) and that later generation pulleys do not require the spacer.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
They (5.0L) still do require the spacer. I ordered a few pulleys for a customer the other day and Mike asked to specify if it was an 05-2010 car or a 2011-2012 car.

gkviper192

Established Member
If I go from a 4 inch to a 3.5 will I need a smaller belt or different idler?

Bud

Established Member
Thanks for the replies on the pulleys. I'm going with the 3.5" with a metco 100mm idler up top, will have to see what belt works out best for that combo.

Anybody have info on belts they've used with the smaller pulleys on a 2.9 and where they started having slip issues?

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Anybody doing upgraded drive pulleys, idlers etc? Short of waiting for FRPP to release the Cobra Jet 10-rib stuff..

gkviper192

Established Member
Looks like I'm going to pick up a 3.5 pulley and 100mm idler. I'm hoping this works without having to change the belt.

Any reason this wont work?

Users who are viewing this thread