2.9 Whipple cobra on 91 octane

good_times44

Established Member
Just picked my car up from a local tuning shop and thought I would share my numbers. Car put down 667rwhp and 589 lbs of torque on 91 octane. I will be having the car tuned later this next week hopefully on E85. Seems a little high for 91 but who knows. I ran a 3.25 upper with a stock lower and the car made 18.55 lbs of boost. Just thought I would share.
148935_10151173816825703_2081524627_n-1_zps8bb2bd64.jpg

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yup way to much boost for 91. I can't tell if that' timing at 13 degrees.. If it is timing then it might be ok for a while

liedenfrost

Established Member
Is the air-fuel spiking at 13.37 at the end? We need another pic with the whole dyno sheet.

Looks like it might be A/F ratio spiking at 13.37 at the end. That will bring up the numbers, but shorten the life of your engine. I wouldn't due WOT until more fuel is added in the higher rpm range. I would add torco for safety until the tune is revised. Well, I'd add torco anyway just for safety even after the tune is revised. :)

gabe1530

Banned
way too much boost for 91. put a 3.5 pulley on there asap or just dont go WOT till you get a new tune with e85.

great power tho.

believe me, you dont want to play the i need a new engine game.

Blueline

Established Member
WOW! I was running about 18psi on my Whipple 2.9 on 93 octane. My tuner still had me throw in Torco just for added insurance against a bad tank of fuel. You are def. pushing it. Good luck

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
Wow you are brave for running 18lbs of boost and 13.27 A/F. You are on barrowed time with that tune. I would asap get it retuned at 11.4 A/F and lower the boost to 15lbs, if you want your engine to live.

good_times44

Established Member
I was thinking I should have been around the 620 hp range. I will post another pic of the whole dyno sheet. This is a non-crusher, have JLT high boost with accufab tb. I have the -8 feed line and new rails showing up next week so ill hold off on driving it until I can switch to E85. I definitely don't want to chance it, I have other things to keep me busy like installing the MM 6 point, and subframe connectors. Just thought I would share the numbers with you guys and I appreciate the input.

racebronco2

Established Member
I can't believe the shop actually let the car leave without tuning it correctly. They should know better. You need to take it back and have it tuned correctly. By the way if they tune it with E85 and it's too lean .... it will melt a piston.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
fwiw....i saw 19#'s on 91 w/ torco and my tune was deamed safe by Kurgan. no way id run straight 91 but those numbers sure look like fun

and 620ish with those mods is reasonable

Last edited:

good_times44

Established Member
They said they maxed out the fuel pumps towards the top end. They said it was the cause of the AFR going up around the 6k rpm range. I didnt think you could max out the GSS342's with the budget return system on 91 octane. Extreme did set the rev limiter at 6K, until my 465 pumps get here this next week for E85. It looks like the AFR is good until about 5700 rpms. Im looking forward to seeing what it puts down on the corn for sure though.

racebronco2

Established Member
Holy crap. I guess it shows its all in the timing. Same boost/pulley I'm running and it makes no where near that number.

What it doesn't show is the temps when he had his car dyno'd. If it was cold than his numbers would be higher. I know the sae correction is supposed to take that in account but for forced induction it just isn't true. With colder air the ait's will be much lower and might be pulling a little timing. If it was hot outside it would be pulling alot of timing, the correction factor does not take that into account.

Users who are viewing this thread