2.9 whipple vs 2.8 kenne bell mammoth

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Thanks alot Allen, my corrections are always STD. We definately dont have that awesome alaskan air though, lol. A better comparison for this thread would have been Mammoth 2.8 vs crusher 2.9...the standard whipple inlet is definately restrictive as we have all seen now.

Our air isnt as good as when you guys run in the fall, the best air I had this year was mid 60's, 900ft DA.........never got a stellar 40 degree northeastern day, and negative DA. If we could stay open till October, it would be another story. It was still in the 70's when the track closed this year.

At least the 2.9 can be retrofitted with a crusher inlet. KB ****ed all its customers when they make you step-up to a mammoth with a different blower case/mounting system. So you couldnt use a mammoth inlet even if you got your hands on one. That still pisses me off. Maybe its time to go whipple.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Our air isnt as good as when you guys run in the fall, the best air I had this year was mid 60's, 900ft DA.........never got a stellar 40 degree northeastern day, and negative DA. If we could stay open till October, it would be another story. It was still in the 70's when the track closed this year.

At least the 2.9 can be retrofitted with a crusher inlet. KB ****ed all its customers when they make you step-up to a mammoth with a different blower case/mounting system. So you couldnt use a mammoth inlet even if you got your hands on one. That still pisses me off. Maybe its time to go whipple.

yea we got screwed out of our ice cold fall air this year too, it was in the 60's here in CT in Dec,but snowed in nov right before our track rental, crazy stuff. I had a 2.2 KB then went whipple never looked back.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
And it's funny to think Jared said there was no 2.9 Whipple market and that it would be useless to make since Whipple already offered a 2.3 and 3.4.
:lol:

vadorsnake04

Established Member
The Whipple made more power and torque through the entire curve, on less boost, with stock manifolds... The KB made 1 more horsepower at the very end of the dyno run. On those set-up, the thing really choking the 3.4L is the exhaust. Which car do you really believe would be faster down the track? ;-)

I think the 3.4L is too much for a street car, and the 2.9L crusher set-ups have been making sick power. There are guys here in this section making over 800 rwhp with the 2.9L crusher @ 25 psi on E85. The blower can make power, and I think it's the perfect size for a 4.6L motor.

I made 802rwhp at only 22.5psi with my standard inlet kb2.8h

But in the end either blower will do what you are wanting to do, so go with what you like the looks of better I would say. If I did it again I'd go 2.9 whipped since I like the looks better.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I made 802rwhp at only 22.5psi with my standard inlet kb2.8h

But in the end either blower will do what you are wanting to do, so go with what you like the looks of better I would say. If I did it again I'd go 2.9 whipped since I like the looks better.

those cars were tuned on 93+ torco, not e85, thats a big timing difference also that dyno reads alot lower, both cars should have been close to 800+on a 248c dynojet...cant wait til i get my 2.9 crusher tuned in a month or so....damn winter !

vadorsnake04

Established Member
those cars were tuned on 93+ torco, not e85, thats a big timing difference also that dyno reads alot lower, both cars should have been close to 800+on a 248c dynojet...cant wait til i get my 2.9 crusher tuned in a month or so....damn winter !

my timing was not touched we left it at 19deg. This was also on a mustang dyno, on a dynojet mine would have been around 850.

Dragu1a

Established Member
from reading all these posts, it looks like i want a 2.9 Whipple. question time and please forgive me for being a noob on the blower questions...this is my 1st supercharged car and some of this stuff goes right over my head, so i figured you guys are the best to ask.

i'm currently sitting on a ported eaton with a dragon throttle body and plenum. would you still recommend the crusher setup? secondly, how do you feel about buying a used one(what should i look for/stay away from)? i'm hoping to get mid 600's by the end of this...anything higher would just be a plus(503/500 right now). i'm not looking to take it to the track very often(maybe a couple times a year) mostly a nice weather weekend car.

mach1033

Established Member
from reading all these posts, it looks like i want a 2.9 Whipple. question time and please forgive me for being a noob on the blower questions...this is my 1st supercharged car and some of this stuff goes right over my head, so i figured you guys are the best to ask.

i'm currently sitting on a ported eaton with a dragon throttle body and plenum. would you still recommend the crusher setup? secondly, how do you feel about buying a used one(what should i look for/stay away from)? i'm hoping to get mid 600's by the end of this...anything higher would just be a plus(503/500 right now). i'm not looking to take it to the track very often(maybe a couple times a year) mostly a nice weather weekend car.

If your only looking to stay in the 600's then the crusher isnt needed. nothing wrong with buying used especially the 2.9 cause there still pretty new. What does your fuel system consist of?

Dragu1a

Established Member
If your only looking to stay in the 600's then the crusher isnt needed. nothing wrong with buying used especially the 2.9 cause there still pretty new. What does your fuel system consist of?

nothing fancy. 60# injectors/boost a pump

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
23.5 psi stock motor made 813 710 on 93 plus torco, so e85 is not needed for over 800 with the 2.9 I'd agree it would make more power

Users who are viewing this thread