2.9 whipple vs 2.8 kenne bell mammoth

JDUB348

Established Member
Ok so my plans for the future will include one of these two super chargers. I just want to hear your opinions on them. Is either one of them better then the other? Are there certain pros/cons to either one?

I like the LOOKS of the whipple better then the kenne bell, but i'd rather have the better performance.. which ever one that is.

Michael Hughes

1 of 299
Established Member
Either one will work great for you. I know the Kenne bell housing is all billet and I don't know about the whipple. Either one will put in the 600 to 650 rwhp range.

I went with at kb mammoth and love it. At the end of the day it's your choice.

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member
come on man, everybody knows kb is BETTER! lol there are pros and cons for each blower and there is a lot of info on both these blowers and their performance in the search but i perfer the kb just because i have seen the amont of research and money that the kb's put into the their blowers i also think they look better too! but the lc option is what puts it over the top over the 2.9. not really a performance base mod but more of a longevity mod, but both will get u to the 650 mark in a hurry! ps. dont want to start a war here but just for shitz and gigs look at the sigs kb's pushing a little more power than the whips??-lol :pepper:

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
There both great blowers. You would have to upgrade to the crusher kit for the 2.9 for the most power. Don't forget the mammoth goes on the drivers side where the crusher will go on the passenger side so take that into an account.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...8958-mammoth-vs-crusher-dyno-comparisons.html

Here is a thread testing the Whipple 3.4 w/Crusher vs. KB Mammoth. Unless a Whipple 2.9 outperforms a 3.4 w/Crusher :nono: You decide.

The Whipple made more power and torque through the entire curve, on less boost, with stock manifolds... The KB made 1 more horsepower at the very end of the dyno run. On those set-up, the thing really choking the 3.4L is the exhaust. Which car do you really believe would be faster down the track? ;-)

I think the 3.4L is too much for a street car, and the 2.9L crusher set-ups have been making sick power. There are guys here in this section making over 800 rwhp with the 2.9L crusher @ 25 psi on E85. The blower can make power, and I think it's the perfect size for a 4.6L motor.

Last edited:

JDUB348

Established Member
I'm basically looking to turn my terminator into a mostly street and occasional track car (maybe 1-2 visits per year). With that, i don't think for track use you'd want to have a HUGE amount of power? This is why i was thinking 2.9 whipple, and if i wanted i could get the crusher eventually. My thoughts are to have the car be between 650-700 rwhp

Last edited:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Standard 2.9L will do that easily. You're looking at almost 600 rwhp out of the box @ 17 psi (what the blower is pullied for from Whipple).

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I'm not sure, no one has pullied it down to that low of a boost level. You would need something like a 3.7" pulley and a stock lower to do that.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm basically looking to turn my terminator into a mostly street and occasional track car (maybe 1-2 visits per year). With that, i don't think for track use you'd want to have a HUGE amount of power? This is why i was thinking 2.9 whipple, and if i wanted i could get the crusher eventually. My thoughts are to have the car be between 650-700 rwhp

Just...out of curiosity...whats your expeirence with 650-700 on the street? In other words, are you simply chasing a number? :read:

Whipple gets my vote...I got mine slightly used, and it seems like thats what "everyone else is doing". No but seriously, Whipple..but thats just me

At the end of the day, its your money....go with what ever the hell makes you happy :~

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Ill put it like this...i was at a track rental with my 2.9,standard inlet..there were two other cobras 1 KB 2.8 Mammoth, 1 Lysholm/vortec 3.3......want to know who had the high MPH and low ET....ME 2.9 whipple powered baby!!!! i had the least amount of boost too, it was 83* out the day in question. KB's needs the LC option because they run STUPID hot on a street car, make 3 back to back pulls and see the difference, my whipple in dead of summer heat can make almost identical power/tq on back to back runs...oh and on the street pulley 3.2" (20psi) i made 700/632....now i added the crusher inlet, will be LIGHTS OUT now.

IMAG0935.jpg

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
On a street car I would rather go with a TVS 2300 than either. More torque, still a ton of topend power.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
What can you do with about 15psi? Does torque take a huge hit at the low blower speeds?

I'm not sure, no one has pullied it down to that low of a boost level. You would need something like a 3.7" pulley and a stock lower to do that.

making 630 ft lbs at 14 PSI currently, standard inlet, 5.3 built motor, 9:1:1 compression, pulley is 3.5 inch. Stupid power and currently adding more

GodStang

Established Member
Neither!! LC all the way!! 10x better blower!! Hence the reason Steig is copying the idea.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Ill put it like this...i was at a track rental with my 2.9,standard inlet..there were two other cobras 1 KB 2.8 Mammoth, 1 Lysholm/vortec 3.3......want to know who had the high MPH and low ET....ME 2.9 whipple powered baby!!!! i had the least amount of boost too, it was 83* out the day in question. KB's needs the LC option because they run STUPID hot on a street car, make 3 back to back pulls and see the difference, my whipple in dead of summer heat can make almost identical power/tq on back to back runs...oh and on the street pulley 3.2" (20psi) i made 700/632....now i added the crusher inlet, will be LIGHTS OUT now.

IMAG0935.jpg

Nice..., not trying to stir the pot, but here is my take.......your ****ing engine bay looks stellar btw Jay!! :beer::beer:

I ran 10.40@133mph with 672whp 2.8H, small inlet, 22psi.......on 17" stock rims, about 3800lbs.....this was in 2009. Same combo went 10.20's @ 136 on slicks and skinnies. What does this say? Absolutely NOTHING. There was a guy there with a 2.2KB making 620whp, and was running 12's.

I have made back to back dyno pulls on my 2.8H in its current pullied configuration @ 24psi (3.2/3), no ice in 60 degree weather. Guess what....only a 10 degree rise in IAT 2's between the 2 runs, and zero drop in power. Dyno isnt the street.....datalog some numbers on any twin screw car after making some pulls on the street, especially a high boost car. Any car makes crazy heat, I dont care if its a eaton, KB, lysholm, or whippppppppperrrr. These blowers dont refrigerate air, they are ovens.

I have always seen STD # from guys up that way...what was the SAE correction on your pull?

Not rebutting the 2.9 isnt a badass blower cause it is. It just boils down to plain cfm, and the rest of the combo. I myself have thought about putting a 3.4 whipple crusher on the car, and running 25-27psi. Its obvious the 3.4's run the show right now on 03/04's.......

Im about .1 mph from knocking down 140mph in a 6spd, IRS car and im in the 9's with a 2.8H @ 3750lbs.....and I have some room left with this blower cause im not even really spinning it that hard. There have been others run 140mph also on a 2.8H's..... I dont even have a "true" large inlet on my car either like a mammoth. So the 2.8H is a good blower, for the record I have driven my car 40 miles to the track, raised the hood for 10 minutes and knocked off some 10.60's @ 135 like it sets on a 1.8 60ft....on factory 17's.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY2KSuqmvyc&feature=plcp&context=C3b2ff56UDOEgsToPDskKjijetSYcy2fSMl45Eb-ZU"]1st Passes 2011 Season, no prep day - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Nice..., not trying to stir the pot, but here is my take.......your ****ing engine bay looks stellar btw Jay!! :beer::beer:

I ran 10.40@133mph with 672whp 2.8H, small inlet, 22psi.......on 17" stock rims, about 3800lbs.....this was in 2009. Same combo went 10.20's @ 136 on slicks and skinnies. What does this say? Absolutely NOTHING. There was a guy there with a 2.2KB making 620whp, and was running 12's.

I have made back to back dyno pulls on my 2.8H in its current pullied configuration @ 24psi (3.2/3), no ice in 60 degree weather. Guess what....only a 10 degree rise in IAT 2's between the 2 runs, and zero drop in power. Dyno isnt the street.....datalog some numbers on any twin screw car after making some pulls on the street, especially a high boost car. Any car makes crazy heat, I dont care if its a eaton, KB, lysholm, or whippppppppperrrr. These blowers dont refrigerate air, they are ovens.

I have always seen STD # from guys up that way...what was the SAE correction on your pull?

Not rebutting the 2.9 isnt a badass blower cause it is. It just boils down to plain cfm, and the rest of the combo. I myself have thought about putting a 3.4 whipple crusher on the car, and running 25-27psi. Its obvious the 3.4's run the show right now on 03/04's.......

Im about .1 mph from knocking down 140mph in a 6spd, IRS car and im in the 9's with a 2.8H @ 3750lbs.....and I have some room left with this blower cause im not even really spinning it that hard. There have been others run 140mph also on a 2.8H's..... I dont even have a "true" large inlet on my car either like a mammoth. So the 2.8H is a good blower, for the record I have driven my car 40 miles to the track, raised the hood for 10 minutes and knocked off some 10.60's @ 135 like it sets on a 1.8 60ft....on factory 17's.

Thanks alot Allen, my corrections are always STD. We definately dont have that awesome alaskan air though, lol. A better comparison for this thread would have been Mammoth 2.8 vs crusher 2.9...the standard whipple inlet is definately restrictive as we have all seen now. heres a newer updated pic for ya, lol

IMAG0953.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread