2.9L Whipple goes on this weekend - what else do I need?

Paul.

Established Member
I bought a Stage 3 Whipple 2.9L front-feed from Beefcake a few weeks ago. My car is a 2011 GT 6-speed with no engine modifications at all. Build thread is here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...94-Paul-s-2011-Coyote-Build-Thread&highlight=

My near-term plans are to dump the factory 3.73s in favor of some 3.31s. I run 315/35R20 NT05Rs which are ~29" tall. This is a streetcar so I'm more focused on drivability. I also bought billet oil pump gears and timing gear which will go on at the same time. The stage 3 kit is ~10.5 psi and I'm guessing on about 560 rwhp with our crappy 91 octane here in Phoenix and Whipple's very conservative tune.

My question is - what else?
- Will my stock cats survive? I want to keep the car quiet. I hate noise, so no longtubes our loud mufflers.
- I want the car to be emissions compliant
- Factory-like drivability, NVH, and manners are very important to me. I don't want a clunky racecar.
- Will the clutch hold up for a while?
- What about the factory driveshaft? Is that going to asplode on me right away?
- Once the car is up and running, should I call Lund or AED and get a tune? Any ideas how much power that would pick up over the whipple tune?

This car is my daily driver, and will remain that way. I focus more on having a really NICE car than a really fast car. That said, it would be nice to be around the 600 rwhp mark at some point. I don't drive much - maybe 4-5k miles per year. I do take it to the dragstrip twice a year, and to the 1/2 mile races 3 times a year. I don't baby the car, and don't intend to start now.

So tell me, given my goals and your experience, what else should I consider and in what order?

Paul.

Out%20of%20the%20Box_zpscxkpbirv.jpg

21%20All%20Complete_zpsisco8v5d.jpg

Last edited:

jn2

Established Member
You will need a BAP due to COT being enabled. IF they disable COT you can expect those cats to blow/melt pretty quick. Mine lasted a month(about 1k miles) with COT disabled and I was NA.

kdaly

Established Member
I get a new DS too. It aint pretty if they decide to take a shit on ya. Its gonna be a tq monster...

Paul.

Established Member
Hmm. I imagine that Whipple's tune will be so conservative that they wouldn't disable that, but I don't know that for certain.

kdaly - did you run your stock cats for a while on boost? How'd they hold up?

It sounds like a driveshaft is in order when I do the gear change. What about the clutch? It seems like guys have pretty good luck with the stock one for a while. My car has 33k miles on it and I'm not exactly doing clutch drops on it all the time.

Paul.

Zemedici

Established Member
Clutch depends on how you drive / driving ability

Know a guy with 90k on his factory clutch (50k of which were at 650+rwhp)

I went ahead and put a McLeod in my girls 2015 when we did hers (2.9l whipple as well, ID850cc Injectors, a JMS BAP, and FULL Stainless Works Exhaust. Her setup makes 672rwhp currently on pump gas and stock boost)

Get ready to have fun!

And get with an actual local shop to have a real tune done. IMO Remote tuning leaves a lot to be desired in terms of getting revision files, datalogging, what to do if issues arise, getting a retune, etc etc. With a local shop you pull it in, and drive the car off turn-key ready to go.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread