2000 Cobra R Rear Diff oil question.

GaryGrimm

Established Member
So this weekend I am putting a Ford Racing Diff cover on my 2000 R and I'm not sure as too which oil to put back in. I called my local ford dealership and the guys in the service department don't even know what an "R" is!!! I guess our cars are not even in their computers. My supplement book calls out for oil M2C192A and friction modifier M2C118A. After some confusion at Napa, I came home with Royal Purple 75W-140, and Equa-Torque Friction Modifier (this tube does have the M2C118A code, the Royal Purple doesn't have the M2C118A).
To further confuse matters the Royal Purple states it's for posi-trac and limited slips (does it already have the friction modifier?)
Any help or information on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys,
Gary :read:

GaryGrimm

Established Member
Well I now know the oil is 75-140 syn, found a tag on top of the cover. The cover is halfway off, this is seriously an unfun job. I thought I could slip the cover in without pulling out the whole center section, but it's looking like the center section is going to need to come out!:shrug:
Gary

steve121

Established Member
You don't have to pull the center section out. If you unbolt the driveshaft and the front 2 diff bolts there's enough play to get the cover in and out.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Well I now know the oil is 75-140 syn, found a tag on top of the cover. The cover is halfway off, this is seriously an unfun job. I thought I could slip the cover in without pulling out the whole center section, but it's looking like the center section is going to need to come out!:shrug:
Gary

I would not put that car back together with the OEM rubber front and rear diff mounts. :dw:

If you're still on the OEM Eurodisc posi unit I would SERIOUSLY consider replacing that with a Torsen T2-R while you're in there, partiularly if you plan on tracking the car. You can run Amsoil or Royal Purple 75-140 and won't need a friction modifier.

If you're just putting it back together and don't plan on tracking the car, the Eurodisc may serve you well. :shrug: Put Ford 75-140 synthetic and use the Ford friction modifier.

You don't have to pull the center section out. If you unbolt the driveshaft and the front 2 diff bolts there's enough play to get the cover in and out.

Steve:

If he's replacing the OEM cover with a Ford Racing cover I think that might be too tight of a squeeze as the Ford Racing cover is substantially larger and bulkier than the OEM cover.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

GaryGrimm

Established Member
Thanks guys for the help.
I'm happy to say that the cover is in, and the car moved under its own power!
The Ford cover is much bigger; and just barely fit into place. In hindsight, it would have been better to pull the half shafts pull the center section out versus wrestling the center section around while its connected to the half shafts (I wasn't mentally prepared to pull the car that far apart). It's seriously a nice piece. I wanted to do a Fore cover; but was unable to find one and the thought of putting updated factory Ford parts on the car appealed to me.

Bruce, I left the mounts alone for now. My plan is to take the car out to the track a few times this summer and see if I get hooked (and If I'm prepared to turn the car into a track car). I'm starting out with a car control clinic and then moving on to performance driving school. If I get the bug, I plan to do 4.11's, T2, your mounts, and a diff cooler next winter.
Gary

Bill Anderson

Established Member
Hmmm...did not know Ford racing made a cover for the IRS unit...I know the regular 8.8 cover will bolt on, but there is no place for the rear mount to attach..that is why I purchased the Fore unit...will have to check on that

Bill Anderson

Established Member
Wow...Ford Racing actually starting making a girdle cover for the IRS....who would have thought it...:)

1999-04 Mustang Ford Racing 8.8" Irs Rear Differential Girdle, M-4033-G3

GaryGrimm

Established Member
Bruce,
I watched the video's on your website. Very informative! I wish I could just drop my car off and turn you loose. You need to open a satellite shop here on the west coast.
Gary

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce,
I watched the video's on your website. Very informative! I wish I could just drop my car off and turn you loose. You need to open a satellite shop here on the west coast.
Gary

Well if I could clone myself, I could do a lot of things. But seriously, I'm too old for that! :(

If you plan on running a rear lowering differential mount, not all manufacturers brackets work with all aftermarket covers, but.... our Delrin isolated rear differential lowering mount (the only one on the market) DOES work with the new Ford Racing IRS rear diff cover. Using that combination of parts does cause some interference with the inner toe link mounting points on the IRS subframe. We will soon be coming out with a specially modified (custom milled) Ford cover that will bolt in place without any clearance issues. Stay tuned to our site for details.

Teaser:

Users who are viewing this thread