2001 Cobra

01Snake

Established Member
I'm beginning to see a lot of threads from guys who are breaking things or are having problems early on with their Cobras. I know its a Mustang, but the Cobra is a more refined Mustang. This car is more road car than quarter horse. How the hell do you trash your transmission (I'm assuming a broken input shaft) unless you are beating the piss out of your car? Have you seen how solid the input shaft from a Tremec is? What about the guys that are wasting the halfshafts on the rear? Guys, its an independent axle, use your head. I'm sure there are some that come off the assembly line with stress cracks or defects, but these are the exception, not the rule. I'm not saying the car is fragile or even that it should be babied, but be realistic about what your car can do. This car was designed as an overall performance car, not a drag racer. If you wanted a drag car, you should have bought a Mustang GT and spent the remaining money on 31 spline axle shafts, a stronger trans and a blower. You don't see pilots trying to do barrel rolls with a 747, because they know the limitations of their plane. Enjoy your car, but also understand how much it can handle and give your car a chance to break in before you really lean on it.

REDLYNE

Established Member
hmmm....

01Snake...

Good thoughts but you touched on the exact reason why people do drag race there cobras! Its a challenge!!! People enjoy the challenge of "beefing up" the IRS and racing it...thereby getting times never-thought-possible on an IRS Cobra.

Imagine the pilot who actually DOES a barrel roll in a 747...its gotta feel good!! What a sense of accomplishment!

IRS half-shafts break under "extreme abuse"...in other words, big gears, high RPM launhces, and slicks. All part of testing its limits....
I would NOT say they are fragile.

01Snake

Established Member
Beefing up the IRS and trans is my whole argument. My hat comes off to those that spend the time and money to beef their cars up and then run them. Unfortunately, most guys that are breaking stuff are guys with stock, unmodified cars. They don't seem to realize a "stocker" can't handle 5000 RPM launches and hard powershifts.

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
If you drive a car and beat on it, it is going to break. However, you don't seem to realize that the probs that people are having aren't caused by 5000rpm clutch dumps on ET Drags and stock gears.

sprayed46

Established Member
01snake you are saying this stuff from your own thoughts. The truth i blew my syncro. in 1st. Ford knows there is a problem they have stoped the make 3650 because of the issues with the sycro's and shift fork. I broke mine with only 800 miles on my car. Ford is working on a solution to the problem and will probaly issue a recall on the issue.

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
You have only been to Firebird one time and you are a drag racing fan? Hard to believe. Sprayed would indicate to me that your Cobra also has a little shot of the Hard Stuff every once in a while too. I think it's time to give up your argument. there is nothing on any Ford TSB or nothing on Blueovalnews.com about any Transmission problems. I looked.:read:

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Ill have to go with tommy on this one............. I havent heard anything bout tranny probs either, I dun know as much as say the gods on our board (ie Tommy and Cobra-R), but I do know that much as least.................. might want to take his word as fact........... I do anyways............... just my .o2, thanks (hands the mike back)

-zach

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
LQQKIE post 666, guess that makes me the devil eh???

Taz07.gif

sprayed46

Established Member
sprayed46 came from my gt that i sprayed. but i sold it and got the cobra and never bothered changing my screen name. and yes they are having problems with the tranny's i have a good friend that is a tech at the ford place here and he explained it all to me.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Sprayed,

why would we lie about such things, BTW welcome to our site.............. Tommy, is more of a tech than I am, and I tore apart a ranger and put it back together piece by piece...... he knows his poop!! I doubt there are problems, there are such things as lemons, as there are with any vehicle ever made in the existence of the world, I almost died in one last summer. Point is the trannies in my opinion and a heck of a lot other people are not defective, but perfectly well, BTW how did you break your car in, that can make a huge difference on the long run also............

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! party time!!!!!

Nice 500th post ~! impressive indeed

My gift to you.......

car.jpg

Now back to the bickering.....................

sprayed46

Established Member
you people are funny. so you are saying that you no more about what is going on than a tech. Why do you think he is lazy? he has to pull it out and rebuild with the parts that are defected. since there are no 3650 avilable because of the problems, but you know he does no anything maybe i should get the number from you guys , and you guys can tell him that he is wrong. I mean i have been waiting three weeks for a tranny ,but hey maybe he is lazy.:bash:

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
no1 (n)
adv.
Used to express refusal, denial, disbelief, emphasis, or disagreement: No, I'm not going. No, you're wrong.
Not at all; not by any degree. Often used with the comparative: no better; no more.
Not: whether or no.

know (n)
v. knew, (n, ny) known, (nn) know·ing, knows
v. tr.
To perceive directly; grasp in the mind with clarity or certainty.
To regard as true beyond doubt: I know she won't fail.
To have a practical understanding of, as through experience; be skilled in: knows how to cook.
To have fixed in the mind: knows her Latin verbs.
To have experience of: “a black stubble that had known no razor” (William Faulkner).

To perceive as familiar; recognize: I know that face.
To be acquainted with: He doesn't know his neighbors.
To be able to distinguish; recognize as distinct: knows right from wrong.
To discern the character or nature of: knew him for a liar.

Here is a link for you

Websters Dictionary
I suggest you use it.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Sprayed,

Dont you think it could be a lemon?? Lemme use and example here, one of the guys on the board has a Contour, he bought it brand spanking new with only 7 miles, car has 46k of miles or so, has had two trannies and has been sitting almost 3 months waiting on the new motor, that the SVT folks are hand building. The point I am making is this, the techy prolly hasnt seen any (or hardly any) other trannies for the 2001 Cobra. Back to the example, there are countless guys, that have 50,000+ miles on their contours and they shift ever single time at 5400-6000, not some times but EVERY time, I think yours could be a lemon, I really doubt it is a flaw. I meant no disrespect, BTW nice choice on cars, they are truely a bad A$$ piece of engineering.............

Thanks

-Zach

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
I agree with Zach. I know of a dude in GA that got a new 2001 and Ford took back his 1999 because it was one the handful of 1999's that couldn't be fixed. That is a very rare thing for the Cobra. I would think that the new tranny should be even better! Stop burnin' out all the time that is not what the Cobra is for. It is set up for what is called "road racing." That means there are turns to make. Go across the parking lot from Firebird and take it around the track at Bondurant and then see what it can do. I gaurantee that it will take most of the NOS'd cars in your group, because they probably don't have the suspension. That track isn't long enough for a NOS car. Take it easy on the car for awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread