2001 Cobra

sprayed46

Established Member
hey thanks man
I am begining to think that it is a lemon to. But seriously i am dropping the subject on the tranny because some of you guys are idiots, i mean why would i be complaining about if it was not true. As for tommylightning who the f**k do you think you are i mean if you know so much why are you not working for ford! i was just trying to stay a point about the problem with the tranny's they are having since i have been dealing with it for about a month ,but hey i don't know a d*mn thing. I guess since i have been arguing between SVT and FORD. For my health!!!!!

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Well I don't work FOR Ford (SVT) because I don't have an Engineering Degree. Nice thought! Let's see who am I? Hmm...I am an 8 year seller of vehicles from SVT. I have YET to see a Cobra, Lightning or Contour come back for something other than a recall, that I have sold. Maybe it's because I tell the buyers that it needs to be TAKEN CARE OF! I looked at the pictures on your little Geocities site and you have a "BURNOUT" Gallery. Can you honestly tell me that you haven't done one of those long burnouts with your Cobra. Trust me I have gone through tranny's on a 1994 SHO. I burned it like the best of 'em. But I didn't complain about it. I just got it fixed and went happily on my way, and promptly started racing it again. It was one of the best cars I ever owned! I have had cars ranging from a 1969 Camaro Z-28 to a bored out Z-24 with race trim. I've been to racing schools. I know what a car can and cannot do. I don't claim to be the smartest but I do know when a car is possibly being abused, possibly. You could very well have a Lemon. Don't come out saying that the Cobra is a POS. How about we all say that YOUR Cobra is a POS. There are no bulletins back in service or on my SVT Sales site mentioning a big tranny problem. If I get other information later I will pass it on, definately. BTW I have been to Bondurant as well. All of those Cobra's did just fine, and they beat the tar out of those things.

Look guys not a single expletive. Not even a blocked out one. Pretty good huh. Didn't have to use spell check either.

Wait, wait I take it back I do remember a guy who blew his valve springs and bent the drive shaft at 25 miles. But we hooked it up to the SBDS and found that it was pinned to the redline for 5 seconds 4 consecutive times. WARRANTY? NOT!!!

sprayed46

Established Member
and did you see a picture of my car on the burnout pics? that is because i do not abuse this car that is why i have a 95 with a 347 that runs 9"s in the 1/4. no i have not done a long burnout in the cobra it is treated like a baby. I tell you what would you like me to give you his name and number. So he can explain it to you! SInce you think i am making all this stupid sh*t up!!!!!

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
lemon.jpg

lemmoncar.256.jpg

Look, it even has little Cobra wheels

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
New engine at under 3000 miles,
I EXPLODED my clutch on a 2500 RPM launch, and Ford WONT COVER IT.. I didn't abuse this vehicle, HELL, I drove my GT MUCH MUCH MUCH harder and for 47,000 miles with Z E R O problems.
If this car can't take my "semi-manly" driving, I don't want to even get close to abusing it, I'll probably die.

yeah, some guys do abuse their car, but I bet if your 01 Cobra had the same problems as us, then you see the light too.

I think I got a lemon, and if another major problem occurs I'll take it back to the dealer and tell them to shove it.

OTHER "MUSCLE" car fourms talk about their 00 and 01 MUSCLE cars, dragging all day long, with no problems like I've seen on the 01 Cobras, what do we drive worse than Chevy peeps?

I doubt it.

I love my Cobra, loved my GT, but like I said, for the price I paid, I don't wan't to "BABY" my car it's entire life.

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
"How many people here recommend a 2500+ launch on a 2000-3000 or even 800 mile Cobra?" Please raise your hands.
I agree the Cobra isn't built the same way they used to be. But I think that the New Cobra is a MUCH better handling car!!! Like I have said all along The IRS Cobra is NOT made for straight line racing. If you want to have a car that can handle a corner and take off in a Higher RPM Launch, might I suggest something like this.
f1_voit_jaguar.jpg

Sorry if I have offended someone, but I have been told in training that the new Cobra was designed mainly for better handling and ride. Hence Independant Rear Suspension. (Wheel Hop) I know others will disagree. I am not into Straight line racing, it's not a true test of a car. Heck I can hold on to the wheel and keep it between the lines. What happens to a Top Fueler when you put it into a corner at 60MPH? Roll baby...Roll!

My opinion only!!!

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Hmm, seems like the 98's and others don't have this problem.
Service Manager Quote: "There is NO break-in period"
Manual, states none either.

And I waited till over 3000 miles before I did it anyways.

Seems like other high performance cars (within the same price range) don't have this problem.

Perhaps you should have put a pic of a 98 cobra or a 01 Camaro up there instead, would have made more sense to me.

And for the record, it was a 2500- launch never wen't over 2500 on the launch, and never even got close to red line going all the way up to third (that's when it blew).

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by tommylightning
Hey Brian, have you experienced any of those problems?

Nope!!!! Love mine, wouldn't change a thing on the car, still stock and drives as nice as anything I have ever owned. The transmission shifts better than the T56 with a B&M ripper in the R.

As far a durability, in the R board there are guys breaking parts on those cars also, but they are guys that drive hard. Is the R a lemon, I think we all will agree that it isn't. I read once that when you mod your car to increase the durability of a weak point, all you do is expose the next weakest part to breaking. I don't know the whole story behind the problems, but there certainly have not been wide spread problems with the 01's. With the internet, we all would be fondly familular with what was happening if it was real. If you doubt that, go to the Lightning board and ask about the intercooler problems, everyone knows about it.

Brian

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by sohowcome
YOu guys might notice brian has not one, but two cobras...............

nough said

Ummmm, Count again, LOL :D

I am just being a smart ass, show. :)

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
Guy in our club has a 2001 Cobra, maybe 2000miles on it. 3rd gear synchro just went out... They can't fix it yet because there are no parts, and something about no 3650s are available.

01Snake

Established Member
Whoa! What the hell did I start here? Hey guys take it easy! I didn't direct my comments at anyone in particular, it was just a general statement. Sprayer, you sound like you have a legitimate problem with your trans, but don't take my post as a direct attack on you. I merely wanted to state that a lot of guys beat the piss out of their cars and then complain when something breaks. My own experience as well as those that I know with 99 and up Cobras (7 at last count - not including those on this board) has been positive - as in nothing broken yet. I know its not a lot of cars, but if there was a legitimate defect, one of us would probably have the problem (ie. 1 of the 99's Cobra owners I know had low power output, 2 did not). I also know a few tuners in the area, and they have told me that hard launches waste the halfshafts. I worked in the service department of a Ford dealership in the late 80's and I can't count how many guys tried to pass off a fried clutch or broken axle shaft on their Mustang as a manufacturer's defect. Sorry to here that you got a bad car, but it is a mechanical device made by humans. Don't assume that all Cobras are a POS. Nobody makes a perfect car (not even the Japanese - my girlfriend needed a trans on her 240 at 30000) or they wouldn't have service bays. I hope you have better luck.

Users who are viewing this thread