2001 Lightning transmission problems.

NewAge31

New here, so first off hello all and I hope I posted this right lol!

Now, onto my problem....

Just picked up a 2001 Lightning with around 85,xxx miles on it.
Truck was running fine, had most fluids changed and the transmission fluid seemed fine.

Last night, when I started it up, it idled almost above 2,000rpms and never went down. Shifting into any gear causes the truck to "jump" hard. It will manually shift from 1 to 2, but once in drive, seems to never shift at all. Rpms will redline and no shifting happens at all. I'm sure the transmission is shot.

So I was wondering, what's a good transmission for me to install?

Any help I can get would be amazing!!!!:coolman:

V8Thrasher

Established Member
This is something ive wondered about as well....

I think the transmission that is on our Lightnings is the transmission from the same gen F250s.

BUT, when my transmission goes out, unfortunately like yours seems to have, I was wondering how easy it would be to do a manual swap?

Could be something worth looking into OP, in that youre in need of a new transmission anyways:shrug:

NewAge31

Thanks for the reply!
The motor is running great on my truck, just the dumb transmission.
I've read a lot about these trucks having transmission problems. So I'm hoping to get one rebuilt with some beefed up internals. Which, is why I was asking what's best to run???
The truck is "mostly" stock besides running a cold air intake and an aftermarket exhaust.
I'm not wanting to go over what the stock motor can handle, I love the truck to much lol!!

NewAge31

I'm about to jack the truck up and check out that harness. It could be the problem, that aftermarket exhaust runs really hot.
Thanks for the info, I'll give Chris a call!

Black04Lightning

I ATE YOUR HEMI FOR LUNCH
Established Member
East Bay Area - Pleasant Hill - California
If your idle is stuck at 2000 rpm and you stuck it in drive you probably damaged the transmission ,

Tow it to a mechanic you trust and get a DIOGNOSTIC for your problem first
before you spend a big pile of cash , know what you need first , and then spend wisely .

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Could be the harness like mentioned. Make sure it's plugged in too. And the fluid looks fine but not low right? Is the cel blinking at all? Awhile back mine started to act weird so I replaced the shift solenoid pack and it worked great after that.

Last edited:

NewAge31

Well, just got the call from the Ford dealership that I always go to. Transmission is totally gone:(, went and looked at it, I've never seen so much crap in one lol!
So what should I do now? What type of transmission should I invest in???

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
have it built by somebody that knows what theyre doing, shipping it to Chris at A1 trans as linked above and LR may be your best bet. Paying for shipping sucks but build it one time and build it right

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread